Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers removing unneeded information from grep? Post 5669 by CurrentUser on Monday 20th of August 2001 11:04:38 AM
Old 08-20-2001
There exist another way :
cat filename | grep regexp | sed -e "s/.*regexp.*/regexp/g" > outputfile

But your aim is not quiet clear. M.b you simply interested in fact of presence of some regexp in a paticular file. In this case you may simply use grep with "-c" key.

Last edited by CurrentUser; 08-20-2001 at 12:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to perform Grep on many Gzip files, Searching for Specific information

Hello, I am wondering if you can assist with my question and ask kindly for this. I have a number of files that are listed as file1.gz through file100.gz. I am trying to perform a grep on the files and find a specific date that only resides within within one of the files. There are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: legharb
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying file information using awk & grep

Hi, TASK 1: I have been using this code to print the information of files kept at "/castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja" in some text file name FILE.txt. rfdir /castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja | grep data | awk '{print "rfio:///castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja/"$9}' > FILE.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep'ing information from a log file on SUN OS 5

Hi Guys, I'm trying to write an script that will be launched by a user. The script will look at a log file and check for alerts with the date (supplied by user) and a machine's hostname (also supplied by the user). I'm trying to get the output formatted just like the log file. The logfile looks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: illgetit
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep? - using a file of terms to search another file when the information is on a different line

I have a flat file that looks like this, let's call it Chromosome_9.txt: FT /Gene_Name="Guanyl-Acetylase 9" FT /Gene_Number"36952" FT /Gene_Name="Endoplasmic Luciferase" FT /Gene_Number"36953" FT ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep from pattern file without removing duplicates?

I have been using grep to output whole lines using a pattern file with identifiers (fileA): fig|562.2322.peg.1 fig|562.2322.peg.3 fig|562.2322.peg.3 fig|562.2322.peg.3 fig|562.2322.peg.7 From fileB with corresponding identifiers in the second column: NODE_0 fig|562.2322.peg.1 peg ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mauve
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include information in certain columns using grep and awk

HI all, I have data in a file that looks like this: 1 HOW _ NNP NNP _ 3 nn _ _ 2 DRUGS _ NNP NNP _ 3 nn _ _ 3 ACT _ NNP NNP _ 0 null _ _ 4 : _ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Remove unneeded Ethernet devices?

Solaris 10 x86 VM was shipped with four NICs, two each teamed together. We don't want or need. I ifconfig downed e1000g2 and e1000g3 and removed their /etc/hostname.* entries. But the kernel still sees those devices, and I'm not sure how to remove them. They have been removed from the VM... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed / awk / grep to extract information from log

Hi all, I have a query that runs that outputs data in the following format - 01/09/12 11:43:40,ADMIN,4,77,Application Group Load: Name(TESTED) LoadId(5137-1-0-1XX-15343-15343) File(/dir/dir/File.T03.CI2.RYR.2012009.11433350806.ARD) InputSize(5344) OutputSize(1359) Rows(2) Time(1.9960)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies
SPLIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [ option ... ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Split reads file (standard input by default) and writes it in pieces of 1000 lines per output file. The names of the output files are xaa, xab, and so on to xzz. The options are -n Split into n-line pieces. -e expression File divisions occur at each line that matches a regular expression; see regexp(6). Multiple -e options may appear. If a subex- pression of expression is contained in parentheses (...), the output file name is the portion of the line which matches the subex- pression. -f stem Use stem instead of x in output file names. -s suffix Append suffix to names identified under -e. -x Exclude the matched input line from the output file. -i Ignore case in option -e; force output file names (excluding the suffix) to lower case. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/split.c SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(1) grep(1), regexp(6) SPLIT(1)