Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Setting $PATH for a particular file...???? Post 56560 by moxxx68 on Tuesday 5th of October 2004 02:48:03 PM
Old 10-05-2004
MySQL Setting $PATH for a particular file...????

Smilie dear members;
I am trying to placea directory to keep minor records in particular directories.. rather than just rely on hard links.. I would like to set the $PATH variable so that I can access the directory itself from anywhere; ex./ /tmp or /bin /var...
I know how to export enviromental variables.(i think!)... but this does not seem to do the job ver well ..ex,.
path=`~/dir1/dira1/filesys:~/dir2/dira2/../dirb2/filesys/:etc' EXPORT $PATH...
so far this has not worked.. and i can't seem to imagine how placing the dirctory in ex,. /sbin and creating hard links would work in place of a direct pth export... .
thanx for your ideas moxx68Smilie Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Global PATH setting

I am using Solaris 8 and I want to change the PATH setting for all users. I have edited /etc/profile, but when I log in and check the PATH variable, it hasn't changed. Am I missing something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting path for GCC?

Dear all, I have downloaded the latest version of gcc --- gcc-3.3.1.tar.gz from gnu.org. My Linux distribution is Mandrake 9.0. This was how I installed it: su - passwrd: mkdir /usr/local/src cd /usr/local/src gunzip /tmp/gcc-3.3.1.tar.gz #where I downloaded the file tar xvf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on setting path variable

Hi there, I need help on setting the path variable. How can I set the path variable with Bourne Shell. My scripts goes like this, but did not work. #!/bin/sh PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/export/home/zchen/home export PATH Thanks, Z (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: randomcz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path

Hi all, I have a java command in a shell script. When i m executing the command from the prompt its working fine. But when i paste the same command in a shell script and execute the shell script it says path not found. Please help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem Setting $PATH

I am trying to install the pkg-get package to a fresh install of Solaris 10. I am able to download and install correctly using the default directory for both pkg-get and wget as found on blastwave.org. When I issue the command "which wget and which pkg-get" it returns no wget or pkg-get found in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greengrass
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path names

I am in a directory called /abstracts Doing tree -d gives . ├── geo1936 │ ├── geo01n01 │ ├── geo01n02 │ └── geo01n03 ├── geo1937 │ ├── geo02n01 │ ├── geo02n02 │ ├── geo02n03 │ └── geo02n04 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up a private path

Hi all, This is probably a very simple question but I couldn't even think of how to phrase it intelligently so google could tell me the answer. Basically I am a user on a server, I am not the admin and do not have root privileges. I have downloaded a bunch of programs that I need to use and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavyK1984
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there any $PATH default setting?

This is a very newbie's question: I was trying to add a new version of the same command "blastn", but the old command always shows up first. which blastn /usr/local/bin/blastnThe two versions of the same command "blastn" are located in: which -a blastn /usr/local/bin/blastn... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting class path

hi , can anybody help me to chage the class path in unix server.. what are the files need to update .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
2 Replies
FILECAP:(8)						  System Administration Utilities					       FILECAP:(8)

NAME
filecap - a program to see capabilities SYNOPSIS
filecap [ -a | -d | /dir | /dir/file [cap1 cap2 ...] ] DESCRIPTION
filecap is a program that prints out a report of programs with file based capabilities. If a file is not in the report or there is no report at all, no capabilities were found. For expedience, the default is to check only the directories in the PATH environmental variable. If the -a command line option is given, then all directories will be checked. If a directory is passed, it will recursively check that directory. If a path to a file is given, it will only check that file. If the path to the file includes capabilities, then they are written to the file. OPTIONS
-a This tells the program to show all capabilities starting from the / directory. Normally the PATH environmental variable is used to show you capabilities on files you are likely to execute. -d This dumps all capabilities for reference. EXAMPLES
To check file capabilities in $PATH: filecap To check file capabilities of whole system: filecap -a To check file capabilities recursively in a directory: filecap /usr To check file capabilities of a specific program: filecap /bin/passwd To list all possible capabilities: filecap -d To set a file capability on a specific program: filecap /bin/ping net_raw net_admin SEE ALSO
pscap(8), netcap(8), capabilities(7). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat March 2009 FILECAP:(8)