Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers telnet refused / reverse DNS issue? Post 56504 by hassan2 on Monday 4th of October 2004 05:00:29 PM
Old 10-04-2004
it seems your unixware is configure with tcpwrapper check /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny for any rule to confirm if this is the case.

if this is the case you may want to edit /etc/hosts.allow with and put this entry
telnetd: conecting_ip_address

Note
connecting_ip_address is your ipaddress you connectiong from.

if the above did not solve your problem you might want to use
hosts file before DNS resolution. just put an entry in your hosts file so that it uses your hosts file to do resolution.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

telnet connection refused

I installed Openserver 5.0.7 and I cannot telnet to the localhost and I can't telnet from my old SCO 3.2.42 to the new SCO machine but I can ping the new machine and it will telnet to the old machine. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: printrick
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse DNS problem

Hi everyone, I am having a problem in the following area: I want to arrange list of Ip Addresses selected from a multiple files and make it look like this: "IP=192.168.0.1, hostname=snake.cooliris.com" Now i have already written the code to select the ip address from various files but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snake450
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[DNS] Reverse Lookup for 2 IP Addresses

Originally I had the server at home and on Comcast so I used dyndns.org for DNS. Once the server got a bit more popular, I leased a server at a colo facility. They set up the server name in their DNS so I didn't really have any reason to manage my own DNS. DynDNS was managing the domains and I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dnsstuff says no reverse dns in place, but there is!

Folks...have just stumbled on an issue where DNSstuff says there is no reverse dns in place when there is...as evidenced by a reverse check from 3 diff networks. Any advice why this would be happening (DNSstuff-wise) would be appreciated. Jordan: jsd@standby:~$ host 12.177.133.70... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsd
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

Reverse DNS

Hello, I'm trying to get reverse dns to point to my domain on network but I'm failing. I am using bind dns with port 53 enabled and my ISP is mediacom. Currently my reverse dns is *.client.mchsi.com and I would like to make it example.com basically. My bind configuration I have 2 records, one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GRMrGecko
4 Replies

6. AIX

ping OK - telnet refused

Hi, After a crash of our older AIX server it happend as it is in the title: ping is ok, but telnet: What it can be this strange thing? Franci (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frajer
2 Replies

7. Linux

Telnet Connection refused error

Hi all, i got stuck with telnet issue, I am not able to telnet on 4001 port it show connection refused. with default port it will open # telnet 127.0.0.1 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to 127.0.0.1. Escape character is '^]'. Fedora release 14 (Laughlin) Kernel 2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686 on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP connection refused issue

Hi All, I am using the below script to get some files from the remote location HOST='Test03' USER='root' PASSWD='*****' FILE='/home/user/d.txt' ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD get $FILE quit END_SCRIPT exit 0 But ist is giving me the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

DNS reverse lookup issue

Hi guys. Ok so let me lay out my configs. I can do a NSlookup from client to server BUT NOT a reverse lookup. DNS server: Optimus.jaydomain.com IP : 192.168.1.50 DNS Client: Megatron.jaydomain.com IP : 192.168.1.60 On Sever: # cat /etc/named.conf // // named.conf // // Provided... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
4 Replies
MKNETID(8)							 Reference Manual							MKNETID(8)

NAME
mknetid - generate data for netid map SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/yp/mknetid [ -q ] [ -h hosts ] [ -p passwd ] [ -g group ] [ -d domain ] [ -n netid ] /usr/lib/yp/mknetid --version DESCRIPTION
mknetid generates the netid.byname NIS map from the contents of the group(5), passwd(5), hosts(5) and netid files. It checks for multiple entrys of netids and warn for them or filters them out. It is only called by /var/yp/Makefile when rebuilding the NIS map. OPTIONS
-q This flag turns on 'quiet' mode, don't print a warning message when finding an duplicate netid entry. -h hosts The -h flag can be used to specify the use of another hosts file than the default /etc/hosts. -p passwd The -p flag can be used to specify the use of another passwd file than the default /etc/passwd. -g group The -g flag can be used to specify the use of another group file than the default /etc/group. -n netid The -n flag can be used to specify the use of another netid file than the default /etc/netid. -d domain The mknetid command uses the system domainname by default. If it is not set or you whish to override it, you must use the -d parame- ter. --version Prints the version number FILES
/etc/group groups file /etc/hosts hosts database /etc/netid netname database /etc/passwd password file SEE ALSO
passwd(8), group(5), hosts(5), passwd(5) AUTHOR
mknetid was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>. YP Server August 2001 MKNETID(8)