Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Some kind of message command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Some kind of message command Post 565 by Neo on Thursday 14th of December 2000 09:45:58 PM
Old 12-14-2000
SAM !!

Of course, confusion created by an obfuscation front end to hide the details Smilie Backups are easily performed from the command line, and if you want some extra features, just write a simple script to do the backup, email when you need to change tapes, etc.

Try to move beyond SAM when you start having problems. You can find the scripts that SAM uses to do backups and use these as a template for your custom scripts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command is respawning too rapidly..message

Ran into a new one today at work...... I was told to start 2 servers which were shut down due to a power outage(I don't believe they were shut down incorrectly). After fsck, both console logins appear with the message: INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors. >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

not sure what this message means, last command

in the last command..........what's this mean? i truncated the user name for obvious reasons, b b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still logged in b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still logged in b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still logged in b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a strange message when executing the sort command

Dear all, when I issue the command: gunzip -c file.gz |sort the command is executed normally and correctly but a message keeps appearing everytime I run the command: the message: sort: missing NEWLINE added at end of input file STDIN Does anyone know what is the meaning of this message?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marwan
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

ls command with a welcome message !

Dear Friends , Is it possible to generate a welcome message when I give the command "ls" from a particular user's home directory in Unix/Linux platform ? suppose , in following example , bash-3.00# whoami root bash-3.00# ls When I give ls command then it shows the output as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Odd message from find command

Running the find command as: find /abc -follow -ls gives, for some files, the message, which I have never seen before: find: /abc/def/123.txt: No error Does it mean that find found the file with out error. If it found it without error then why did it not output the "ls" particulars as with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl-OS command to find out what kind

I need to know a command to find out which version of Perl Im currently running. Thanks Ben (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command - not a valid identifier message

Trying to run the following awk command : export com.mics.ara.server.tools.sch_reports.Runner.num_threads=`awk -F= '!/^#/ && /com.mics.ara.server.tools.sch_reports.Runner.num_threads/{print $2}' $BKUPDIR/env.properties` -bash: export:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error message with tail command

Hello, I wrote a script and part of the script, I have a validation to check if the file has <EOF> on the last line of the file. If it does not have a <EOF>, then a message has to be written to a log file. the code snippet shown below works fine, but it writes the below message if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to detect kind of command for root only?

Dear all, Please help me clarify why i cannot run command in /sbin directory (ex: /sbin/fdisk -l )! I've checked permission on files which belong /sbin directory with execute permission. However, i still cannot run with normal user. Sorry for my English. thanks all, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: all4cfa
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return a message after command runs?

I have a script like this: echo "enter filername in lowercase" read -e filername exec 2>&1 echo "type the start date in format MM/DD/YYYY" read -e startdate exec 2>&1 echo "enter the end date in format MM/DD/YYYY" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies
SCRIPT-EMAIL(8) 					  System Administration Commands					   SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)

NAME
script-email - Amanda script to send email notifications DESCRIPTION
script-email is an Amanda script implementing the Script API. It should not be run by users directly. It sends a notification email to the addresses specified in the MAILTO property. PROPERTIES
This section lists the properties that control script-email's functionality. See amanda-scripts(7) for information on the Script API, script configuration. MAILTO List of email addresses that will receive an email on command execution. It is a multi-valued property: property "MAILTO" "amanda@domain.com" "sysadmin@domain.com" "amandauser@domain.com" EXAMPLE
In this example, script-email is scheduled to be run before the DLE, on the server. The unqualified email address amanda will be passed to the email system unchanged. The script is then attached to a dumptype, which can then be specified for any DLEs which require notification. define script-tool pre-email { comment "email me before this DLE is backed up" plugin "script-email" execute-on pre-dle-backup execute-where server property "mailto" "amanda" } define dumptype user-tar-email { user-tar script "pre-email" } SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), amanda-client.conf(5), amanda-scripts(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.1 02/21/2012 SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)