Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dummie Question, Can anyone take a screen shot of a UNIX system? Post 5600 by ober5861 on Friday 17th of August 2001 12:22:39 PM
Old 08-17-2001
Unix/Linux can look like nearly anything you want it to look like. There are GUIs that can make it look nearly exactly like Windows, but I think any *NIX guru will tell you that the power contained in any of these systems stems from the command line. I find that I get the most work done from the command prompt in the text-only portion of the OS, or in a terminal within the GUI.

Hence, it CAN look and feel like windows, but I would suggest that the best description is something like a super-DOS.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummie Please Help With Unix And Win Xp

Please help : I have a question i am just starting to study UNIX and i need some advice,as my teacher isn,t the helpful type. I have just formatted my pc and partitioned it with win98 and winxp, do i need to create a partion for UNIX ??? OR is UNIX run in whatever partion i want it ???? Will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DAFFYY30
6 Replies

2. IP Networking

I have some question on unix system

Dear all, If I login to a Unix system (general user account), will the unix system generate a history file? If positve, will it stored the IP adress also? Thanks and Regards Penny Li ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PennyLi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummie question on ping (loopback)

what's the point of having loopback when you can just ping your local ip address? for example if my ip is 1.1.1.1, why can't i just do ping 5 1.1.1.1 instead of ping 5 127.0.1.1? it seems to me the only point in having it is for the sake of convenience? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinduy
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix screen shot

i would like to see an unix screen shot if anyone could take a screen shot of unix (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royal
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

screen resolution for a SPARC system

I have installed Solaris 10 on SPARC system (Ultra 5) And I'm using Acer AL1715 LCD monitor. The screen resolution is not just right. How to change the resolution Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chaandana
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Please look at this screen shot: How do I remove this lock icon?!

RESOLVED in the screen shot I'd like to remove the lock sandwiched between the spaces indicator and the monitor icon, how do I get rid of it? It locks the screen and I cannot remember how it came to be http://guptaxpn.com/tmp/lock_icon_screenshot.png Thanks for your help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
3 Replies

7. Programming

question about empty directories in unix system

how is it possible for a directory to be empty and still have a size greater than 0 in bytes... i made a shell script that shows info about all files/directories and this is what came up the last one is the size, here its showing 1024 in the for loop i did something like for h in * .*; do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix directory system calls question

I'm currently studying for my exam, and is practicing with sample exam questions. However there is a question asking "Name THREE UNIX Directory system calls" and the answer given is "opendir, closedir and readdir", however the next question ask "Why is a write directory system call not included... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Izzy123
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about unix file system

Hi, The file system unix use a multilevel indexes access to disk, 12 direct blocks, 1 single indirect block, 1 double indirect block, 1 triple indirect block: Assuming a: block = 512 bytes, pointer = 4 byte, and there is a file of 200 blocks, how many disk access is needed to read the block... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blob84
1 Replies
xbill(6)							   Games Manual 							  xbill(6)

NAME
xbill - save your computers from Wingdows [TM] virus SYNOPSIS
xbill [-l level] [--gui gui] [--sizesize] [-v] [-h] DESCRIPTION
Ever get the feeling that nothing is going right? You're a sysadmin, and someone's trying to destroy your computers. The little people running around the screen are trying to infect your computers with Wingdows [TM], a virus cleverly designed to resemble a popular operating system. Your objective is to click the mouse on them, ending their potential threat. If one of the people reaches a computer, it will attempt to replace your operating system with the virus it carries. It will then attempt to run off the screen with your vital software. The game ends when only 1 (or 0) of your computers are being productive. Additionally, some computers are connected with network cables. When one computer on a network becomes infected, a spark will be sent down the cable, and will infect the computer on the other end when it reaches there. Clicking the button on one of the little people will cause it to cry out in pain and melt (id software eat your heart out!), dropping the stolen os if it is carrying one. If a computer is running Wingdows or is temporarily off, the os can be dragged back to the computer (or another computer compatible with that os). To extinguish a spark, drag the bucket of water from the upper left corner onto it. The status bar at the bottom tells the following: Number of Bills on/off the screen Number of Computers running their OS/off/Wingdows Level Score OPTIONS
-l n Start at level n. --gui gui Use a specific front end. The possible values are gtk, motif, and athena. Note that some of these may not be compiled into the binary. --size size Play on a field of size x size, instead of the normal 400x400. size must be larger than 400. -v Print version number and exit. -h Print help and exit. When using the GTK gui, all standard GTK options are supported. When using the Athena or Motif GUI, all standard X Intrinsics options are supported. AUTHORS
Main Programmer: Brian Wellington <bwelling@xbill.org> Programming & graphics (v2.0 and earlier): Matias Duarte <matias@hyperimage.com> COPYING
Copyright (c) 1994-2001 Psychosoft It's FREE! If you want to express your undying gratitude to us for bringing a small bit of meaning into your otherwise pointless existence, you could always send us e-mail. XBill is distributed under the GNU General Public License. Go play the game now! Version 2.1 October 2001 xbill(6)