Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ftp-directory
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ftp-directory Post 56 by Neo on Tuesday 3rd of October 2000 12:34:34 PM
Old 10-03-2000
I was not able to fully understand your question or configuration so the reply will be 'fuzzy' based on fuzzy
knowledge.
<P>
There are many way to restrict access to directories and
subdirectories. One is using permissions (as you discuss briefly) another is the chroot command, which will comletely change the root 'of the tree'.
<P>
Normally, when adminstrators want remote users to have on
certain commands and access they change the root directory
of the users and provide them with a subject of the commands they need in a custom bin directory. So,
instead of trying to restrict users to only a certain part
of a large system; they are provided only access to the
commands they need. This is much more secure, safer, and
easier to manage by far.
<P>

<P>
Recommendation: Check out the chroot() command and set up an environment for your 'guest users' using this strategy.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp a directory

How does one ftp an entire directory from one Solaris 5.9 machine to another with out moving one file at a time? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkLord
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Downloading whole directory with FTP

Is it possible using FTP to download a whole directory and all subdirectories at once without having to go through every single file? Thanks, Tom (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pokeyzx
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can we ftp a directory

Hi guyz, Is there any way to ftp a whole directory structure. I mean is there any way using which I can get the whole directory ftpied including the subdirectories Thanks and regards, Gauravv (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgoel
17 Replies

4. Solaris

ftp default directory

how to change the default login directory for a specified user when ftp to unix machine. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mm00123
1 Replies

5. AIX

ftp mget directory

Hi, I have searched everywhere for an answer to this question but couldn't find one so I ask it here. From an AIX 5.3 machine I ftp to another AIX 5.3 server. I want to get all files and only files in a directory. This directory has a subdirectory with files in it. In ftp, I enter the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bheinsius
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP files from different directory from remote server to one directory in local

Hi All, I want to search for .log files from folders and sub folders in remote server and FTP them to one particular folder in the local machine. I dont want to copy the entire directory tree structure, just have to take all the .log files from all the folders by doing a recursive search from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dassv
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to move a directory using ftp??

Hi all, Is it possible to move a directory using ftp service?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeegopikannan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP from one directory to another using perl

Hi All I am stuck with a problem and i want your help, I have two directories dir1 and dir2 The files present in dir1 is a1,a2 a3 a4 What i want to is to FTP the files present in the dir1 to dir2 (with .txt extension at the end.) with the help of the Perl. The output expected is The... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp whole directory

HI Guys, I have downloaded the oracle binaries from oracle.com, i have unziped them in a directory say OWB. I have to copy them to my windows server so i have ran the ftp command. It looks like i can ftp whole directory. Can you please get me the command to get all the files and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replicate remote directory to local directory with ftp

I have system that generate files every 1 hours , i only have ftp connection from my local server to remote . $ ls -al -rw-r--r-- 1 water None 0 Feb 7 18:09 a.0800 -rw-r--r-- 1 water None 0 Feb 7 18:09 a.0900 -rw-r--r-- 1 water None 0 Feb 7 18:09 a.1000 is there any perl / php... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
3 Replies
sharing(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						sharing(1)

NAME
sharing -- create share points for afp, ftp and smb services. SYNOPSIS
sharing [-a <path> [options]] [-e <share point name> [options]] [-r <share point name>] [-l] DESCRIPTION
A list of flags and their descriptions: -a <path> add a new share point for the directory specified by <path>. -e <share point name> edit the share point record specified by <share point name>. -r <share point name> delete the share point record specified by <share point name>. -l list all existing share point records. Description of options The following options modify share point record attributes -A <afp name> use customized name <afp name> when using share point with afp. -F <ftp name> use customized name <ftp name> when using share point with ftp. -S <smb name> use customized name <smb name> when using share points with smb. -s <flags> use this option to modify individually, the sharing attribute for afp, ftp and smb. By default a share point record is enabled for afp, ftp and smb. To modify the indiviual attributes AND the following flags as required: 100 (enable sharing for afp only), 010 (enable sharing for ftp only), 001 (enable sharing for smb only). Specify 000 to turn off sharing of a share point all together. use customized name <smb name> when using share points with smb. -g <guest flag> use this option to modify individually, the "guest" attribute for afp, ftp and smb. The "guest" attribute specifies whether a ser- vice will allow guest access to this share point record. By default a "guest" is enabled for afp, ftp and smb. To modify the attribute, AND the following <guest flags> as required: 100 (enable guest access for afp only), 010 (enable guest access for ftp only), 001 (enable guest access for smb only). Specify 000 to turn off guest access for the share point all together. -i <inherit privileges flag> use this option to modify the "inherit privileges" attribute for afp. The "inherit privileges" attribute specifies whether afp will apply the classic privilege model to operations within this share point. By default "inherit privileges" is disabled for afp. To modify the "inherit privileges", AND the following <guest flags> as required: 10 (enable "inherit privileges" for afp only). Spec- ify 00 to turn off "inherit privileges" for the share point all together. -n <customized record name> Specify a <customized record name> to be used as the share point record name. By default the record name is the name of the direc- tory pointed to by the share point record. This directory is specified bt the <path> when the record is created. EXAMPLES
/usr/sbin/sharing -a /SomePath/ShareThisDirectory This example shows how create a share point record for the directory "/SomePath/ShareThisDirectory". /usr/sbin/sharing -e ShareThisDirectory -A SP1 -g 101 This example shows how to edit the share point record created above, adding a customized name "SP1" for afp servies, and enabling guest access only for afp and smb. FILES
/usr/sbin/sharing location of tool Mac OS X Server June 2, 2019 Mac OS X Server