Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Modem Problems
Special Forums IP Networking Modem Problems Post 5591 by PxT on Friday 17th of August 2001 10:57:37 AM
Old 08-17-2001
Re: okay...

Quote:
Originally posted by cHiCkEn
so I"m guessing that i'll have to get a new modem... right?
Right. Get a good quality external modem, and you will be fine. Any standard external modem will work with Linux...it is often easier to get one of these than to try to find an internal that works properly. If you must have internal, you should look for one that does not use "HSP" or Host Signal Processing. Also check http://www.linmodems.org/ for Winmodems that are beginning to be supported under Linux.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem on HP-UX 10.20

Hi everyone I am having some real difficulties getting a dial in modem to work on one of my HP boxes. It's a mux modem on port 7 which I have set up at 9600 baud. I can dial in, the handshakes are completed, but then it returns incoherent characters on the emulation screen. I think my dial in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modem

I've spent enough time trying to put on work Lucent Winmodem in my armada M300 (compaq laptop) I use Mandrake 8.0 but as soon as i get connected and prompmts appears modem shutsdown. Does any one had a similar situation, solved it? cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex blanco
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem problem: "Sorry, modem is busy"

Hi! I have a little prob with dialing up to the internet... When I try connect, it says "Sorry, modem is busy"... Specs: Laptop 56K modem Slackware 8.0 Kernel 2.4.5 Cheers;) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satan404
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem

Pleaseee... Helpppp.... !!! I am using SCO Open Server 5.05. Recently, i have upgraded the system which means transfer all apps and data to the new system. Everything work well except one thing. On my old system i have an external modem which to dial out. Now that i use the same modem on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackpotp
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem problems on SCO Xenix

Randomly receive the following message: "Can not open line tty1a device busy error 16" and "/etc/getty/t60 tty1a" What is causing this error message ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jbartok
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modem

I have got Suse 8.0 by using a modem (US Robotics 56K Faxmodem Ext). During connection i got the error 16. I tried it under RedHat and Mandrake too.....same problem. What can i do ? Thanx...a lot... Logfile: SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd), Version 0.73 on zuhause. wwwoffle not is running ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pennywize
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem - Test /dev/modem

Ok. I tried following the directions from some of the other threads, but I've hit a road block. I have red hat 7.3 and I installed the hcf package: hcfpcimodem-0.99lnxtbeta03042700k2.4.18_3-1rh.i386.rpm It installed ok, no errors, but I still can't get linux to find my modem. I've tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
2 Replies

8. Linux

Problems with the Internal modem

Hi I have a hsf Conexant modem & I have a driver for it but it works only on 2.4.* kernels . I know that there is a site called Linuxant.com which offers kernels for download ,but it gives a speed near 14 kb/s and the full feature driver offered for money and I can't buy it. My questions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: engshaheen
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Is the cable you are using a null modem cable or a modem cable

Hi all, Is there any difference between a null modem cable or a modem cable ? i assume that a null modem cable is a normal cable that i used from cpu serial ports to a modem for dialup. please correct if i am wrong, thks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waterbear
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Modem

hi folks, i am looking for a analog modem to use it with a solaris9 sparc mashine. as far as i know, solaris communicates with the modem using AT-commands. so do i need a special modem for solaris or just a modem? i am open for everything. PCI-modem, seriell modem, usb modem. what are you using? i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pressy
1 Replies
TERM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TERM(1)

NAME
term - turn PC into a dumb terminal [IBM] SYNOPSIS
term [baudrate] [parity] [bits_per_character] [-dial_string] [device] EXAMPLES
term 2400 # Talk to modem at 2400 baud term 1200 7 even # 1200 baud, 7 bits/char, even parity term 8 9600 /dev/tty01 # 9600 baud, 8 bits/char, no parity, use tty01 term -atdt12345 /dev/tty01 # Start with a command to dial out DESCRIPTION
Term allows MINIX to talk to a terminal or modem over RS232 port 1. The program first sets the baudrate, parity and character length, and then forks. The parent sits in a loop copying from stdin (usually the console's keyboard), to the terminal or modem (/dev/tty00). The child sits in a loop copying from the terminal or modem (/dev/tty00) to standard output. Thus when RS232 port 1 is connected to a modem, every keystroke typed on the keyboard is sent to the modem, and every character arriving from the modem is displayed. Standard input and output may be redirected, to provide a primitive file transfer program, with no checking. Any argument that starts with a minus ('-') is sent out to the modem, usually to dial out. Term accepts several commands that are formed by typing the escape character, CTRL-], and a letter. Type CTRL-]? to see a list of commands. The subshell command is very important, it allows you to type in a ZMODEM command to transfer data. Do not quit term to do this, or your modem line will be reset! Term keeps the modem line open on file descriptor 9 while running the subshell, so you can type <&9 >&9 at the end of your ZMODEM command to connect it to the modem. Important note: to use term, it is essential that /etc/ttytab is configured so that there is no shell hanging on /dev/tty01. If there is, both the shell and term will try to read from /dev/tty01, and nothing will work. SEE ALSO
rz(1), sz(1). TERM(1)