Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File System Check (fsck)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File System Check (fsck) Post 55732 by Perderabo on Friday 17th of September 2004 03:54:43 PM
Old 09-17-2004
Different versions on unix work differently. And even with a particular version of unix, fsck may have varying options depending on the type of filesystem. HP-UX has a -f provided that you are checking a ufs filesystem and it forces a check of a mounted filesystem. I would not use that in conjunction with a -y under any circumstances.

You need to start at the beginning here. What version of unix? What type of filesystem? What symptoms are you seeing?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fsck command - what does it check/repair??

While rebooting one of the UNIX systems here at work, the boot-up process halted and a message appeared telling me that I had to run the fsck command. The command to the best of my knowledge went something like : fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 Can someone give me a full list of this command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kanu77
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fsck on a mounted file system?

I have a Solaris 7 box. We got a strange error in the syslog, which read as follows: Nov 15 11:50:16 server-01 unix: NOTICE: free inode /mount1/8025691 had size 0x20d I consulted with a fellow sysadmin, and he suggested running "fsck -N" on the filesystem in question without unmounting it. So I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GKnight
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

fsck! How to run Full File System Check

Dear all I am new for HP-UX. I have HP rp2470 running HP-UX 10.x When i run fsck in a root, the output is as below: #:root> fsck fsck: /dev/vg00/rlvol1: mounted file system continue (y/n)? y ** /dev/vg00/rlvol1 ** Last Mounted on /stand ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes ** Phase... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungevntelecom
3 Replies

4. Solaris

FSCK root file system (/dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/rootvol)

Hi, I need to fsck the root file system on my Solaris 9 server. It is a UFS file system but it is under Veritas control. I want to know which fsck I need to use to check the file system. The default Solaris fsck (/usr/sbin/fsck) or the Veritas (/lib/fs/vxfs/sparcv9/fsck) fsck? I take it I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fsck.gfs2 outputs "RG recovery impossible; I can't fix this file system"

I have a CentOS release 5.2 (Final)host running kernel 2.6.18-92.el5 with at raid 10 that had two mirrored drives fail. The drives were re-inserted and now the raid shows healthy (for now). I tried to mount but got an Input/output error. I then attempted a fsck: fsck.gfs2 -y /dev/vg_01/uss_vol... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: king_hippo
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run fsck on root file system

If i run fsck on one filesystem and fsck need to repair some things then this partition must be unmounted correct ? So running fsck on root file system isn't possible within same OS ? correct ? What is the best way to do that, live cd ? BR, Jurif (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jurif
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check EOF char in Unix. OR To check file has been received completely from a remote system

Advance Thanks. (1) I would like to know any unix/Linux command to check EOF char in a file. (2) Or Any way I can check a file has been reached completely at machine B from machine A. Note that machine A ftp/scp the file to machine B at unknown time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fsck in running system

Hi, I have the problem that in the fstab indicating that the check is made of a particular filesystem during the boot process, if for any reason I have deleted, if it is to check the filesystem on boot, Linux will not start and asks password to enter maintenance mode. What I want is to keep an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jailcreator
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Not able to run fsck on root file system

I am trying to root disk mirroring on SunFire V210 Server. There are two disks on this server c1t0d0 and c1t1d0 . I completed all the steps and I updated the vfstab file too. After I have updated the vfstab file I run df -h command but could not see the changes i made in vfstab. Suddenly the server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbi8321
1 Replies

10. Solaris

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same.:confused: WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time on time-of-day chip: check date. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies
filesystem(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					     filesystem(7)

NAME
filesystem - event signalling that filesystems have been mounted SYNOPSIS
filesystem [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The filesystem event is generated by the mountall(8) daemon after it has mounted all filesystems listed in fstab(5). mountall(8) emits this event as an informational signal, services and tasks started or stopped by this event will do so in parallel with other activity. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running once filesystems are mounted might use: start on filesystem SEE ALSO
mounting(7) mounted(7) virtual-filesystems(7) local-filesystems(7) remote-filesystems(7) all-swaps(7) mountall 2009-12-21 filesystem(7)