Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: apm...??
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers apm...?? Post 55540 by moxxx68 on Tuesday 14th of September 2004 09:49:06 AM
Old 09-14-2004
Question apm...??

I have a HP pavillion laptop and gnu\linux feodra core 2 2.6.8-1.521 version of red hat.. and it does not support apm.. when I enter apm on the command line it gives prompt... "kernel does not support apm"..
also there is an acpi for the battery which controls the suspend and standby also the minutes(info).. to activate this its telling me something about that the acpi is still in developement and and should only be activated with extreme care.. does anyone know what is going on with apm.. and what fedora is talking about with the acpi... and how should I acativate one or the other.. (no man pages for acpi!!)
thanx moxxx68
Smilie

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Warning: cannot connect to APM

After installation of SCO Openserver 5.0.7 following warning messegae show at the time of Loading Kernel hd(40) unix.bss warring: cannot connect to APM, error 0x0008 system loaded press <return> to start can any one please help me to solve this issue thanks and best regards hafeez (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hafizurr
0 Replies

2. BSD

NetBSD 6.1.2: apm and admd not found

I installed NetBSD 6.1.2 amd64 and can't find the apm utility. Is it not in the base system? Is it necessary to recompile the default amd64 kernel to use apm? Or is there a new method for power management and suspend/resume? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsdx
2 Replies
APM(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    APM(8)

NAME
apm, zzz -- Advanced Power Management control program SYNOPSIS
apm [-abdlmsSvz] [-f sockname] zzz [-Sz] [-f sockname] DESCRIPTION
The apm program communicates with the Advanced Power Management (APM) daemon, apmd(8), making requests of the current power status or placing the system either into suspend or stand-by state. The apm tool is only installed on supported platforms. With no flags, apm displays the current power management state in verbose form. Available command-line flags are: -z Put the system into suspend (deep sleep) mode. -S Put the system into stand-by (light sleep) mode. -l Display the estimated battery lifetime in percent. -m Display the estimated battery lifetime in minutes. -b Display the battery status: 0 means high, 1 means low, 2 means critical, 3 means charging, 4 means absent, and 255 means unknown. -a Display the external charger (A/C status): 0 means disconnected, 1 means connected, 2 means backup power source, and 255 means unknown. -s Display if power management is enabled. -v Request more verbose description of the displayed states. -f sockname Set the name of the socket via which to contact apmd(8) to sockname. -d Do not communicate with the APM daemon; attempt instead to manipulate the APM control device directly. The zzz variant of this command is an alternative for suspending the system. With no arguments, zzz places the system into suspend mode. The command line flags serve the same purpose as for the apm variant of this command. This command does not wait for positive confirmation that the requested mode has been entered; to do so would mean the command does not return until the system resumes from its sleep state. FILES
/var/run/apmdev is the default UNIX-domain socket used for communication with apmd(8). The -f flag may be used to specify an alternate socket name. The protection modes on this socket govern which users may access the APM functions. /dev/apmctl is the control device which is used when the -d flag is specified; it must be writable for the -d flag to work successfully. /dev/apm is the status device used when the socket is not accessible; it must be readable to provide current APM status. SEE ALSO
acpi(4), apm(4), apmd(8) Intel Corporation and Microsoft Corporation, Advanced Power Management (APM) BIOS Interface Specification, Revision 1.2, February 1996. HISTORY
The apm command appeared in NetBSD 1.3. The APM specification first appeared in 1992. The last update to the standard was made in 1996 - the same year when it was superceded by the ACPI 1.0 standard. Thereafter power management on IBM-compatible personal computers has relied on ACPI, implemented in NetBSD by the acpi(4) subsystem. The acpi(4) provides an emulation layer for the legacy apm. BSD
March 20, 2010 BSD