Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions RTF files can they be converted once they are on linux system Post 55190 by moxxx68 on Monday 6th of September 2004 02:53:37 AM
Old 09-06-2004
Computer RTF files can they be converted once they are on linux system

Smilie mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt
my dillemma is simple i have psion 5 mx wich is an epoc type machine not only does it only work on windows as far as I know but I have to convert the files (the usual stuff!) sometimes a humen error happens and the files that I want to transfer to the linux drive has a few files in rtf..I have found that they are useless on unix unless you change them to text format.. I(i use word pad)... . the problem is I am stuck with a dozen rtf files on my linux drive and rather than delete and ocnvert and mount again I would like to know if there is a way to convert the rtf files on the linux drive itself to reguler windows text mode.. which I still hav e to strip of control charcters as I read in one of your threads today..!
1) is it possible to convert rtf files on linux itself without the due hassles
2) when I strip the characters I use the sed command and the CL/M command to delete the carraige returns.. how can apply this!!!!!!!
and will it work
(i got the idea from one of your threads today so please be patient)
mount -t vfat ascii /dev/hda1 /mnt ... will this work and will it strip carraige returns..
thanx moxxx68..
ps .. I wish I could put in a little more input but I am not as advanced as most of the users although I try!Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to access/mount so to access folder/files on a Remote System using Linux OS

Hi I need to access files from a specific folder of a Linux system from an another Linux System Remotely. I know how to, Export a folder on One SCO System & can access the same by using Import via., NFS in the Sco Unix SVR4 System using the scoadmin utility. Also, I know to use mount -t ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem to send rtf inline body

how send an rtf file as inline body of email (not as an attachment) sendmail/mailx < test.rtf is not working (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srik_ux
7 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

looking for convert rtf to pdf utility

Hello all i have server that needs to add the ability to convert rtf files to pdf what you recommend me to use ( not open office please ) its spouse to process lots of files . something i can wrap in code and use (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. Gentoo

how to edit linux system files?

i had heard that linux is open source.....which meant that i could edit it. so how do i start out? i've already downloaded it. the name's "puppy linux".....someone please reply quick!!! and by the way, may i know what shell scripting is? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dragster93
15 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How files can be transferred from one system to another securely using Linux?

i need to know how files can be transfered from one system to another securely in linux. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibing
9 Replies

6. AIX

Accessing files on AIX system from Linux system

I have a following requirement in production system 1 : LINUX User: abcd system 2: AIX (it is hosting a production DB) Requirement user abcd from system 1 should have read access on archive log files created by DB on system 2. The log files are created with permissions 540 by user ora ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitnm1106
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Directories converted into files with the same size

Hi Gurus, I know this sounds weird, We have encountered many incidents where some directories on several Solaris 10 boxes, will be converted to files with the same size. for example the file below : -rw-r--r-- 1 rkadm redknee 5027399 Apr 15 00:02 dump This was a directory created... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing duplicated extensions, like .rtf.rtf

Hi and good day, In Terminal I tried mv *.rtf.rtf *.rtf to get rid of double rtf extensions ( which came about from some other process), but this doesn't work. I don't know why. Also it should be for the main and for subfolders. with -R? Anyway, any assistance would be greatly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: OmarKN
6 Replies

9. Programming

RTFEditorKit - Write to RTF File

Hi, I am looking at writing the BLOB from database which is an rtf data to write to RTF file. I am trying to use the RTFEditorKit for the same and was struck with the write API it provides. write API takes the outstream and Document, all I have is Inputstream or bytestream from database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
5 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). OPTIONS
-V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), pivot_root(2), mount(8), switch_root(8), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2011 PIVOT_ROOT(8)