Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Case sensitivity
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Case sensitivity Post 5413 by kapilv on Tuesday 14th of August 2001 02:10:22 PM
Old 08-14-2001
Hi

Well not in all the cases , but in case of unix commands you should go through the manual pages i.e man command_name to check whether there is a case insensitive support for that command for e.g the grep command which supports a case insensitive search by using the "i" option and also the vi editor which provides the case insensitive search by giving the :se ic.
SO hope this helps you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute

Hi I want to make string substitution ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute. Ex changing all occurences of "original" in a file to "substitute": original becomes substitute Origninal becomes Substitute ORIGINAL becomes SUBSTITUTE I know this a little special but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmchen
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to ignore CAPS or case sensitivity?

If I'm using a program that is expecting certain filenames and directories to be all CAPS, isn't there a way to ignore this in linux/cshell scripting? I.e., similiar to ignoring spaces with " (i.e., directory is directory 1, can ignore by typing "directory 1".) ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebazon
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about REGEX Patterns and Case Sensitivity?

Hello All, I'm in the middle of a script and I'm doing some checks with REGEX (i.e. using the '"shopt -s nocasematch" that at least the first one should print "FALSE" but it prints "TRUE"..? For Example: #!/bin/bash MY_VAR="HELLO" ### This prints "TRUE" PATTERN_1="^*" if ] then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

9. AIX

Errpt sensitivity to tape libraries

Hello all, Hoping someone can simply comment. I have numerous AIX servers attached to both physical and virtual tape libraries. errpt on these servers always seems to be generating error messages with respect to NICs and HBA's + other stuff. I'm being told this is normal because AIX is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
2 Replies
APROPOS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						APROPOS(1)

NAME
apropos -- search the complete content of all man pages SYNOPSIS
apropos [-123456789Ccp] [-n Number of results] [-S machine] [-s section] query DESCRIPTION
The apropos utility performs a full text search over the complete content of all man pages. It uses the FTS engine of Sqlite to perform the search. The database is created with the help of makemandb(8) utility. This implementation of the apropos utility is more sophisticated than the classical version of apropos. Like modern search applications, it uses advanced techniques like stemming and term weighting to rank the matching results in decreasing order of relevance. By default apropos will only display the top 10 matches in the output. Quotes are optional for specifying multiword queries. It supports the following options: -1 Search only within section 1 manual pages. -2 Search only within section 2 manual pages. -3 Search only within section 3 manual pages. -4 Search only within section 4 manual pages. -5 Search only within section 5 manual pages. -6 Search only within section 6 manual pages. -7 Search only within section 7 manual pages. -8 Search only within section 8 manual pages. -9 Search only within section 9 manual pages. -C Do not show the context of the match. -c Do show the context of the match (default). -n Output up to the specified number of search results. The default limit is 10. -p Display all matching results and pipe them through a pager (defaulting to more(1)). -S machine Limit the search to the pages for the specified machine architecture. By default pages for all architectures are shown in the search results. -s section Restrict the search to the specified section of the manual. By default, pages from all section are shown. This option is for back- wards compatibility with the classic version of apropos, using it is equivalent to using the [123456789] options directly. FILES
/var/db/man.db The Sqlite FTS database which contains an index of the manual pages. SEE ALSO
man(1), whatis(1), makemandb(8) HISTORY
The apropos command appeared in 3.0BSD. It was rewritten in NetBSD 6.0 to support full text search using Sqlite. AUTHORS
Abhinav Upadhyay BSD
April 21, 2012 BSD