Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ACL
Special Forums Cybersecurity ACL Post 531 by Neo on Tuesday 12th of December 2000 08:09:16 PM
Old 12-12-2000
Question

ACLs are a kernel (core build of the OS) extension and the way ACLs are implemented are dependent on the UNIX variety. Some UNIXes support ACLs, other do not. Please specify the kernel details of the UNIX you are running.

Quite a few years ago I was hanging with Linus and crew at the 1st Linux conference in Amsterdam. I pleaded with Linus to add ACLs and ACL event logging to the Linux kernel so my more security minded clients could run Linux. I am not sure if Linus ever added ACLs to the Linux kernel. He was dead-set against it many years ago (this was around 1994 so things might have changed).

I know HPUX has a very nice ACL system in the kernel. In fact, the HPUX ACLs are so good that many high-availability systems run HPUX for that reason. ACLs in HPUX can be set for things like kernel system calls, etc. The entire system can be set up to monitor and log system calls that the administrator deems necessary for security.

Systems that do not implement ACLs with a high degree of granularity are not normally used in high-assurance systems. (Let's don't get into defining 'high-assurance' in this thread, OK Smilie )

[Edited by Neo on 12-13-2000 at 02:19 AM]

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

setting acl

Hi, I want to know how to set acl in aix via smitty and shell prompt, wheather we needs to install additional packages. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to create ACL

Hi, I generated a script that will create the list of dir/sub-dir and will allow to create the same on diff server. this is what i have done : #!/bin/ksh # Script to migrate the directory between the two servers. # Ver 0.1 # Author Krishna. D # c - create and e - extract directory if ;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishnadvn
1 Replies

3. Linux

ACL

Hi, I want to know what does the "effective" comment means in the output of the getfacl and whether it has to do with the acl mask... thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gartlar
0 Replies

4. Solaris

ACL

Can i get the synopsis for add multiple users in single command for ACL access for a directory or a file thanks in advance dinu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinu
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

When did HP-UX have support for ACL?

Hello, I try to find what year HP-UX got support for ACL (Access Control List)? I know that HP-UX was the first Unix with ACL support, but it is very hard to find the information on when that occured. So anyone here know when that did happen? Any answers are appreciated, /eXpander (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eXpander
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need assistance on ACL

Hi Friends, I went through the ACL threads that were posted in the past but none were matching to my requirement . Hence starting a new thread . Challenge : user : a group : Test1 user: b group: Test2 Say under user a i create dir /tmp/debug with the privilege of 755 and also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leobreaker
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL concept

Hi.. Could someone explain about setfacl,getfacl in unix and its uses. Regards, Suresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh sunkara
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ACL confusion

All, I am trying to clear ACL's completely from all files and folders in a directory. I can get the directories as cleared as: # owner: root # group: root user::rwx group::r-x other::rwx default:user::rwx default:group::r-x default:other::r-x What ever I do I can't remove the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hburnswell
4 Replies
ACL_CMP(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						ACL_CMP(3)

NAME
acl_cmp -- compare two ACLs LIBRARY
Linux Access Control Lists library (libacl, -lacl). SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <acl/libacl.h> int acl_cmp(acl_t acl1, acl_t acl2); DESCRIPTION
The acl_cmp() function compares the ACLs pointed to by the arguments acl1 and acl2 for equality. The two ACLs are considered equal if for each entry in acl1 there is an entry in acl2 with matching tag type, qualifier, and permissions, and vice versa. RETURN VALUE
If successful, the acl_cmp() function returns 0 if the two ACLs acl1 and acl2 are equal, and 1 if they differ. Otherwise, the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If any of the following conditions occur, the acl_cmp() function returns -1 and sets errno to the corresponding value: [EINVAL] The argument acl1 is not a valid pointer to an ACL. The argument acl2 is not a valid pointer to an ACL. STANDARDS
This is a non-portable, Linux specific extension to the ACL manipulation functions defined in IEEE Std 1003.1e draft 17 ("POSIX.1e", aban- doned). SEE ALSO
acl(5) AUTHOR
Written by Andreas Gruenbacher <a.gruenbacher@bestbits.at>. Linux ACL March 23, 2002 Linux ACL