Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: remote shell command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers remote shell command Post 5307 by patvdv on Friday 10th of August 2001 08:44:29 AM
Old 08-10-2001
Hostname order

A tip if you are having problems using remsh etc commands even when you think your .rhosts files are setup correctly:

Use both short and FQDN (fully qualified domain names) in your .rhosts files:

jumbo root
jumbo.amazon.com root

Also the actual *order* of short and FQDN can be important:

jumbo.amazon.com root
jumbo root

HP-UX's MC/Serviceguard is known to have issues with this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop in remote shell command

Hi All Does anyone have any idea on how I can create a loop when running a remote shell. e.g. If I want to execute the following command remotely and log the output locally for x in `lsvg` do lsvg $x done > /tmp/myfile I have tried rsh myhost -l root for x in `lsvg`^Jdo^Jlsvg $x^Jdone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runnig Remote Shell

Please I need your help. I want to run remotely a unix shell that run a java process, from a Visual Basic Client. Thanks mac33 :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac33
4 Replies

3. Programming

Remote Shell Program

Hello, Where can I find some Remote shell program in UNIX Environment? thx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kennethchow
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command not working with rsh(remote shell)

Hi, root@air01a>SS7Manager -status This command gives correct output. But when I write this in script and run it on SUNMC (which can connect to air01 and by default login as root). It gives the error "SS7manager not found" or "can not open". Here is the scripts. #!/bin/sh rsh air01a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lastkey
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

remote shell

hi how can i make remote shell to hp-ux from linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dereckfun
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing command in a remote machine through ssh - shell script

Hi All, i have two machines like x and y . my requirement is i should connect to machine Y from x through ssh connection . and do some operation such as copy and move and delete files in Y machine . i tried with this code but it is doing in machine x only . and i need to exit from Y when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rateeshkumar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triggering remote UNIX shell script from Remote desktop

I m trying to run a batch script in remote desktop which executes unix commands on the unix server...the problem is i wnt the output in HTML format.so in my batch script i m giving the cmd like ssh hostname path ksh HC_Report.ksh>out.html ...but it generates the HTML file in remote desktop .i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navsan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Until string from remote command equals value run remote command

I solved my issue by using the following code #!/bin/bash function GET_STATUS { #values Active Passive Failed ssh -a localhost '/home/user/fakecommand.sh' } STATE="unknown" until ] do echo $STATE sleep 5 STATUS=`GET_STATUS` echo $STATUS | grep Active &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: $scipt_Kid
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script

Geeks, Could you please help me out in my script and identify the missing piece. I need to check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script and send out an email when process/processes is/are not running on any/all server(s). Here's the complete... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies
XON(1)							      General Commands Manual							    XON(1)

NAME
xon - start an X program on a remote machine SYNOPSIS
xon remote-host [-access] [-debug] [-name window-name] [-nols] [-screen screen-no] [-user user-name] [command ...] DESCRIPTION
Xon runs the specified command (default xterm -ls) on the remote machine using rsh, remsh, or rcmd. Xon passes the DISPLAY, XAUTHORITY and XUSERFILESEARCHPATH environment variables to the remote command. When no command is specified, xon runs 'xterm -ls'. It additionally specifies the application name to be 'xterm-remote-host' and the win- dow title to be '-fIremote-host'. Xon can only work when the remote host will allow you to log in without a password, by having an entry in the .rhosts file permitting access. OPTIONS
Note that the options follow the remote host name (as they do with rlogin). -access Runs xhost locally to add the remote host to the host access list in the X server. This won't work unless xhost is given permission to modify the access list. -debug Normally, xon disconnects the remote process from stdin, stdout and stderr to eliminate the daemon processes which usually connect them across the network. Specifying the -debug option leaves them connected so that error messages from the remote execution are sent back to the originating host. -name window-name This specifies a different application name and window title for the default command (xterm). -nols Normally xon passes the -ls option to the remote xterm; this option suspends that behaviour. -screen screen-no This changes the screen number of the DISPLAY variable passed to the remote command. -user user-name By default, xon simply uses rsh/remsh/rcmd to connect to the remote machine using the same user name as on the local machine. This option cause xon to specify an alternative user name. This will not work unless you have authorization to access the remote account, by placing an appropriate entry in the remote users .rhosts file. BUGS
Xon can get easily confused when the remote-host, user-name or various environment variable values contain white space. Xon has no way to send the appropriate X authorization information to the remote host. X Version 11 Release 6.6 XON(1)