Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: remsh ? rlogin? rhost? r?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers remsh ? rlogin? rhost? r? Post 5245 by inquirer on Thursday 9th of August 2001 05:51:38 AM
Old 08-09-2001
remsh ? rlogin? rhost? r?

what should i use if i want to run a shell script from a remote host where in it requires me to enter a username and a password which is different from my present login and run a shell located in that server? should the script located on the local or remote end? something that will do something like this:

server1:/home/usrinquirer>xhost +
access enabled blah! blah! blah!
server1:/home/usrinquirer>rlogin server2
password:(ENTER)
login:usrman
password:password
server2:/home/usrman>date
server2:/home/usrman>sh server2.sh

i've tried including rlogin in the script but how can i change from one user from another? i've tried using rlogin server2 -l usrman/password (and a like with remsh) but it did not work, if i remove password it will give me an error "login incorrect". what will i do?

thanks.
inquirer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remsh

i m try to do remsh i need to know what are the step to define the user and password i try .rhosts it give me operator:/export/home/operator>remsh billmed ps -ef permission denied just for testing (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kazanoova2
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rhost problems

dear unix gurus, trying to search for this thread in the forum but can't seem to find any of them. just would like to post 2 questions: 1) if there are spaces in the .rhosts file will it cause problems for users who try to run the program/ script? :confused: 2) does the .rhosts file be... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
10 Replies

3. Solaris

remsh working one way

host Solaris 5.9 E250 host-name: sunsrv1 remote Solaris 5.8 Netra 250 host_name: sspfs_svr i am able to remsh (or rsh)from remote to host like ; $ remsh sunsrv1 uname -n sunsrv1 but opposite way not possible; # remsh sspfs_svr ls sspfs_svr: Connection refused OR # rsh -l username... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use remsh to duplicate all...

hi , Any idea how to use remsh to duplicate whatsoever ( / ) from host1 to host2 across network with root? Regards, (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
0 Replies

5. Solaris

define .rhost file for tape backup to remote host

howdy experts, i am using 2 server- Solaris 5.9 i have tape device attached with 1 of my solaris server. But others not. # modinfo|grep tape 152 13d43e4 1333c 33 1 st (SCSI tape Driver 1.231) now i want to Backup DATA file and System File in Tape Drive. How do I take data and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remsh variables

Hi, I have script. #!/bin/sh -x CD=masterservice remsh 132.196.133.185 -l root './export $CD > test.output' rcp root@132.196.133.185:test.output But I receive the following error. + remsh 132.196.133.185 -l root ./export $CD > test.output To make it work, I remove the ' signs.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr_andrew
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remsh options

Hi All, I want to know all the options that are used for command remsh. And also the prerequisites like entries in .rhosts file. Can anybody share the link or document? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AB10
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remsh

Hi All, Im using remsh to execute shell script on remote server. And this script gets called from another AIX server. My code is: remsh $rHost -l $rUser -n "export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java6_64_SR7; export ORACLE_HOME=/oravl01/oracle/11.1.0.7; export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AB10
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remsh command

Hi Can any 1 tell me how to use REMSH command with example actually i wanted to run the following command on different severs thru script "df -k .| tail -1 | tr -s ' ' ' ' | cut -d ' ' -f5" :) please reply ASAP.:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddy_07
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remsh

Hello All, I am on HP-UX. Problem is that my remote script behaves different depending on execution method. Method1 (Remote execution): remsh remoteserver /home/myscript.sh Method2 (Local execution): remoteserver :/home#sh myscript.sh In method 2, I can succesfully set timestamp with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrcrowley
6 Replies
LOGIN(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LOGIN(1)

NAME
login - sign on SYNOPSIS
login [ -p ] [ username ] DESCRIPTION
The login command is used when a user initially signs on, or it may be used at any time to change from one user to another. The latter case is the one summarized above and described here. See "How to Get Started" for how to dial up initially. If login is invoked without an argument, it asks for a user name, and, if appropriate, a password. Echoing is turned off (if possible) during the typing of the password, so it will not appear on the written record of the session. After a successful login, accounting files are updated and the user is informed of the existence of mail. The message of the day is printed, as is the time of his last login. Both are suppressed if he has a ".hushlogin" file in his home directory; this is mostly used to make life easier for non-human users, such as uucp. Login initializes the user and group IDs and the working directory, then executes a command interpreter (usually csh(1)) according to spec- ifications found in a password file. Argument 0 of the command interpreter is the name of the command interpreter with a leading dash ("-"). Login also modifies the environment environ(7) with information specifying home directory, command interpreter, terminal type (if avail- able) and user name. The `-p' argument causes the remainder of the environment to be preserved, otherwise any previous environment is dis- carded. If the file /etc/nologin exists, login prints its contents on the user's terminal and exits. This is used by shutdown(8) to stop users log- ging in when the system is about to go down. Login is recognized by sh(1) and csh(1) and executed directly (without forking). FILES
/var/run/utmp accounting /usr/adm/wtmp accounting /usr/spool/mail/* mail /etc/motd message-of-the-day /etc/passwd password file /etc/nologin stops logins .hushlogin makes login quieter SEE ALSO
init(8), getty(8), mail(1), passwd(1), passwd(5), environ(7), shutdown(8), rlogin(1c) DIAGNOSTICS
"Login incorrect," if the name or the password is bad. "No Shell", "cannot open password file", "no directory": consult a programming counselor. BUGS
An undocumented option, -r is used by the remote login server, rlogind(8C) to force login to enter into an initial connection protocol. -h is used by telnetd(8C) and other servers to list the host from which the connection was received. 4th Berkeley Distribution November 27, 1996 LOGIN(1)