Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Import data from compressed file Post 52416 by norsk hedensk on Thursday 17th of June 2004 10:47:35 PM
Old 06-17-2004
youll probably need to uncompress it. do you have a cd burner? possibly if the resultant file will fit on cd, you can uncompress it there. however i havent toyed much with mounting a cdr and writing to it as regular directory...so youll have to figure that one out.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

import compressed files using pipe

I am trying to import compressed files using a pipe on a server, IBM AIX UNIX 3.4, with very little disk space The command is: nohup cat xaa xab xac xad xae xaf xag | uncompress - > imp_pip & Then the imp_pip file is used in the import statement, files=imp_pip Does this statement... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pengwyn
0 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

import data files from Unix to Windows?

Hi, Is there any way to import data files from Unix system to Windows system? I have many data files on Unix machine generated every night. I need to pick certain data from each file and plug them into this windows file on the network share drive. Anyone has any idea? Thanks in advance! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
8 Replies

3. Solaris

invalid compressed data--crc error

I am getting this error when trying to unzip a file.gz . Anyone know how to resolve this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can import data files to XL sheet.

Hi, I have the file(F1.XL) in Unix Box. it's updating every 1hr. I would like to import f1.xl to Windows excel sheet, when i need see the reports. can any one clarify, is there any VB script for importing data from UNIX, like sql connection.... thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data Import perl script

Hi, I have a requirement for creating a Perl Script which will perform Data Import process in an automated way and I am elaborating herewith : Section 1 ) - use the following command line format : "./import.pl -h hostname -p port -f datafile.txt" Section 2) datafile.txt will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scott_apc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ucompress the compressed data

Hi, I have a file that has got compressed data. I would want to uncompress the packed decimal data(not the file). is there a way to do that in ksh? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting data from many compressed files

I have a large number (50,000) of pretty large compressed files and I need only certain lines of data from them (each relevant line contains a certain key word). Each file contains 300 such lines. The individual file names are indexed by file number (file_name.1, file_name.2, ... ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Boltzmann
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shellscript to read data from txt file and import to oracle db

Hi all, Help needed urgently. I am currently writing a shellscript to read data/record from a flat file (.txt) file, and import/upload the data to oracle database. The script is working fine, but it takes too long time (for 18000 records, it takes around 90 mins). I guess it takes so long... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robot_mas
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data to import the database as snippets

Hi all, I don't know if this the right place to post my question to get some ideas on how to done this. I have a text files extracted from OCR that need to have snippets to be import to database as snippet table which have columns "snippet, date, title" I dont know if shell scripts can do it... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using bash script : How to Import data from a dsv file into multiple tables in mysql

HI I have a dsv file that looks like: <<BOF>> record_number|id_number|first name|last name|msisdn|network|points|card number|gender 312|9101011234011|Test Junior|Smith|071 123 4321|MTN|73|1241551413214444|M 313|9012023213011|Bob|Smith|27743334321|Vodacom|3|1231233232323244|M... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tera
4 Replies
compress(1)						      General Commands Manual						       compress(1)

Name
       compress, uncompress, zcat - compress and expand data

Syntax
       compress [ -f ] [ -v ] [ -c ] [ -b bits ] [ name ...  ]
       uncompress [ -f ] [ -v ] [ -c ] [ name ...  ]
       zcat [ name ...	]

Description
       The  command reduces the size of the named files using adaptive Lempel-Ziv coding.  Whenever possible, each file is replaced by one
       with the extension .Z, while keeping the same ownership modes, access, and modification times.  If  no  files  are  specified,  the
       standard input is compressed to the standard output.  Compressed files can be restored to their original form using or

The  -f	option	will  force  compression  of  name, even if it does not actually shrink name, or if the corresponding name .Z file
       already exists.	If the -f option is omitted, the user is asked whether an existing name.Z file should be  overwritten  (unless	is
       run in the background under

The -c (cat) option makes compress/uncompress write to the standard output without changing any files.  Neither -c nor alter files.

The  command  uses  the modified Lempel-Ziv algorithm.  Common substrings in the file are first replaced by 9-bit codes 257 and up.
       When code 512 is reached, the algorithm switches to 10-bit codes and continues to use more bits until the limit specified by the -b
       flag is reached (default 16).  The bits must be between 9 and 16.  The default can be changed in the source to allow to be run on a
       smaller machine.

After the bits limit is attained, periodically checks the compression ratio.  If the ratio is  increasing,  continues  to  use  the
       existing  code  dictionary.   However,  if  the	compression ratio decreases, discards the table of substrings and rebuilds it from
       scratch.  This allows the algorithm to adapt to the next block of the file.

Note that the -b flag is omitted for since the bits parameter specified during compression is encoded within the output along  with
       a number that ensures that neither decompression of random data nor recompression of compressed data is attempted.

How much each file is compressed depends on the size of the input, the number of bits per code, and the distribution of common sub-
       strings.  Typically, text such as source code or English is reduced by 50-60%.  Compression is  generally  much	better	than  that
       achieved by Huffman coding or adaptive Huffman coding, and takes less time to compute.

The -v option displays the percent reduction of each file.

If  an  error  occurs,  exit  status is 1.  However, if the last file was not compressed because it became larger, the status is 2.
       Otherwise, the status is 0.

Options
       -f   Forces compression of name.

-c   Makes compress/uncompress write to the standard output.

-b   Specifies the allowable bits limit.  The default is 16.

-v   Displays the percent reduction of each file.

Diagnostics
       Usage: compress [-fvc] [-b maxbits] [file ...]
       Invalid options were specified on the command line.

Missing maxbits
       Maxbits must follow -b.

file: not in compressed format
       The file specified to uncompress has not been compressed.

file: compressed with xx bits, can only handle yy bits
       The file was compressed by a program that could deal with more bits than the compress code on this machine.   Recompress  the  file
       with smaller bits.

file: already has .Z suffix -- no change
       The file is assumed to be compressed already.  Rename the file and try again.

file already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)?
       Type y if you want the output file to be replaced; type n if you do not.

uncompress: corrupt input
       A SIGSEGV violation was detected which usually means that the input file is corrupted.

Compression: xx.xx%
       Percent of the input saved by compression.  (For the -v option only.)

-- not a regular file: unchanged
       If the input file is not a regular file (for example, a directory), it remains unchanged.

-- has xx other links: unchanged
       The input file has links; it is left unchanged.	See for more information.

-- file unchanged
       No savings is achieved by compression.  The input remains unchanged.

Restrictions
       Although compressed files are compatible between machines with large memory, -b12 should be used for file transfer to architectures
       with a small process data space (64KB or less).

RISC							       compress(1)