Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ACL
Special Forums Cybersecurity ACL Post 521 by -tri- on Friday 8th of December 2000 04:34:20 AM
Old 12-08-2000
Computer

Hi all,

I've just been handled the responsibility for a FTP-site. Having no experiens of UNIX at all. And now one of my users needs to have full access to the usr directory and all it's subdirectories, don't know why just trying to do what the boss tells me. The type of UNIX is FreeBSD and the filesystem's ufs. I've been told that with this setup rights can only be given to files and not directories. You can put a user in a group and give access to the file. But a file can only belong to one group. If I've understood this correctly it means that the options are 1. let the user log in as root 2. let him be an ordinary user. Option number 1 is not the one I want to go with.
But then the problem might be solved with ACL's? How can I see what ACL's I've got (if any)? How do I use them?

Thanking you

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

setting acl

Hi, I want to know how to set acl in aix via smitty and shell prompt, wheather we needs to install additional packages. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to create ACL

Hi, I generated a script that will create the list of dir/sub-dir and will allow to create the same on diff server. this is what i have done : #!/bin/ksh # Script to migrate the directory between the two servers. # Ver 0.1 # Author Krishna. D # c - create and e - extract directory if ;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishnadvn
1 Replies

3. Linux

ACL

Hi, I want to know what does the "effective" comment means in the output of the getfacl and whether it has to do with the acl mask... thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gartlar
0 Replies

4. Solaris

ACL

Can i get the synopsis for add multiple users in single command for ACL access for a directory or a file thanks in advance dinu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinu
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

When did HP-UX have support for ACL?

Hello, I try to find what year HP-UX got support for ACL (Access Control List)? I know that HP-UX was the first Unix with ACL support, but it is very hard to find the information on when that occured. So anyone here know when that did happen? Any answers are appreciated, /eXpander (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eXpander
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need assistance on ACL

Hi Friends, I went through the ACL threads that were posted in the past but none were matching to my requirement . Hence starting a new thread . Challenge : user : a group : Test1 user: b group: Test2 Say under user a i create dir /tmp/debug with the privilege of 755 and also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leobreaker
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL concept

Hi.. Could someone explain about setfacl,getfacl in unix and its uses. Regards, Suresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh sunkara
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ACL confusion

All, I am trying to clear ACL's completely from all files and folders in a directory. I can get the directories as cleared as: # owner: root # group: root user::rwx group::r-x other::rwx default:user::rwx default:group::r-x default:other::r-x What ever I do I can't remove the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hburnswell
4 Replies
dxsetacl(8X)															      dxsetacl(8X)

NAME
dxsetacl - Graphical interface for setting the ACL on a file or directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dxsetacl [arguments...] OPTIONS
The name of the file or directory to operate on. The regular X resources can be supplied to dxsetacl on the command line. DESCRIPTION
The dxsetacl command provides a graphical interface for examining and setting file access control lists (ACLs). If a path is specified on the command line, the file system object represented by path is used as the target of the command. In addition, there is a Find Object area on the main dialog box. A path may be typed in, or located by browsing the file system. A file reference may be dragged from a CDE application, such as the File Manager, and dropped on the Find Object area. Once an object is selected, its full path name, object type, owner, and group are displayed along with the ACL. The ACL is displayed, one entry per line, in a list widget. Clicking on an entry selects it. Double clicking on an entry or selecting the Change Entry button brings up a dialog that allows the fields of the entry to be modified. Clicking on the Delete Entry button removes the entry. The owning user, owning group, and other user entries may be modified but not deleted. (See acl(4) for more information.) The New Entry button may be used to create a new group or user entry. If the object is a regular file, device special file, or UNIX domain socket, it only has an access ACL. If the object is a directory, it has an access ACL, a default access ACL, and a default directory ACL. Which ACL of a directory is being edited may be selected with a radio button. Note The dxsetacl command will show and set ACLs on file system objects, regardless of whether ACLs are used by the system for access decisions. The sysman secconfig utility is used to enable ACL checking. SEE ALSO
Commands: X(1X), secconfig(8) Files: acl(4) dxsetacl(8X)