Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers AIX + backup or mksysb (yes i did a search) Post 5174 by Optimus_P on Wednesday 8th of August 2001 10:56:46 AM
Old 08-08-2001
i am reading the man page right now.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

mksysb backup

How I can to obtain a full Backup of a AIX server with the command "mksysb"?? what is the correct form? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: granador
1 Replies

2. AIX

mksysb backup testing

Hi All i have a number of IBM servers with different models, and i want to do a backup for the rootvg using mksysb and that backup will be stored on a 4mm DDS tape. i have only one machine (p550) which i can use it for testing purposes, so the quesion is that can i test my mksysb backups on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheEngineer
6 Replies

3. AIX

mksysb backup

hi guys, i just want to take my server's mksysb backup through dvd-rom.but am having the doubt that, while am taking the mksysb backup in image it shows 8GB. So can i confirm that it takes 2 dvds and after writing in 1st cd it will ask for 2nd cd?????? please help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrlog
1 Replies

4. AIX

How to list files in AIX 3.2 mksysb backup tape

Hi, Can anyone tell how to list files in a AIX 3.2 mksysb backup tape. Thanks! Victor Cheung (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
4 Replies

5. AIX

How to restore from mksysb backup

system is not booting ... i want to restore from mksysb backup. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
2 Replies

6. AIX

Need to take MKSYSB backup

Hi, Can any one suggest me how to take the mksysb backup in CD (VCD/DVD). I have tried like #mkcd -d /dev/cd0, but its not working. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oprakash
3 Replies

7. AIX

mksysb backup

hi we are having one rootvg in that we created one lv named mksysb_backuplv and normally script will run accordingly to take the backup in the cron,here i just want to know if any rootfilesystem was correpted like /usr or /tmp ,then how could i restore the particular filesystme from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senmak
1 Replies

8. AIX

MKSYSB backup

Hi, Currently we are taking mksysb backup through smitty mksysb command and directing the backup to happen on a tape.We have inbuilt tape drives in the AIX servers. Can we take the mksysb backup through 3rd party software tool (Symantec netbackup of IBm TSM). If yes what is the procedure and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
4 Replies

9. AIX

Need help with mksysb backup on a DVD

i have an AIX server and planning to upgrade the operating system, before that i want to take a system backup which can be used in case of upgrade failure. i dont have NIM server t hold the mksysb backups. so i have the only option of taking the backup on DVD. i have the following optical drive... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saikiran_1984
5 Replies

10. AIX

AIX 7.2 MKSYSB Backup and Restore Best Practices?

Hello, Running AIX 7.2 on Power9 bare-metal (no LPAR and no NIM server), in the process of creating a guide on MKSYSB process. I understand that MKSYSB is a backup of the rootvg and we can exclude stuff via exclude.rootvg file, the rest of the data volumes are mapped to the system as LUNs via... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
7 Replies
AMTAPE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 AMTAPE(8)

NAME
amtape - user interface to Amanda tape changer controls SYNOPSIS
amtape config command [ command options ] DESCRIPTION
Amtape performs tape changer control operations. It uses the underlying tape changer script defined by the tpchanger option for a particu- lar Amanda configuration as specified by the config argument. Tape changers maintain a notion of the current and next slot for each configuration. These may or may not correspond to an actual physical state of the device, but do tend to minimize searching through the tape storage slots. If the desired tape is in the current slot, it is likely the next tape needed is in the next slot rather than at some random position in the storage slots. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. COMMANDS
reset Reset the tape changer to a known state. The current slot is set to the first slot. Other device-specific side effects may occur. Some gravity stackers need to be reset to the top position by hand. This command notifies Amanda the stacker is back in that posi- tion. eject If a tape is loaded in the drive, it is ejected and returned to the slot from which it was loaded. clean If a cleaning tape is defined for the changer, it is used to clean the drive. show Show the contents of all slots. This can be slow. label label Search for and load the Amanda tape with label label. taper Perform the taper scan algorithm. Load the next tape in the configuration's tape sequence, or a fresh tape with a suitable label. device Display the name of the current tape device on stdout. current Display the current slot. update Update the changer label database, if it has one, to match the tapes now available. slot slot Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from slot slot and reset current. slot current Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the current slot. slot prev Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the previous slot and reset current. slot next Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the next slot and reset current. slot first Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the first slot and reset current. slot last Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the last slot and reset current. slot advance Eject any tape in the drive and put it away. Advance current to the next tape, but do not load it. This is useful with non-gravity stackers to unload the last tape used and set up Amanda for the next run. If you just use eject, the current tape will be mounted again in the next run, where it will be rejected as being still in use, ejected and the next tape requested. Using slot next followed by eject does an unnecessary mount. Note: most changers optimize the slot commands to not eject the loaded tape if it is the one being requested. AUTHOR
James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu> University of Maryland, College Park SEE ALSO
amanda(8) AMTAPE(8)