Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Permission Denied using VI on my NFS Post 5148 by jennifer on Wednesday 8th of August 2001 05:20:44 AM
Old 08-08-2001
Hi, Jayathirtha

Yes I have, in fact I chmod 777 for it

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission Denied

I just started computer science at UW Milwaukee. When I access the university Solaris system from PuTTY, I get permission denied when I try to access the file I wrote. Now I really have no idea what I'm doing, I just don't understand why I get permission denied in my won directory. Thank You ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: howeezy
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission denied

Hi, I can not execute a .env file $ . /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env -bash: /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env: Permission denied Even if : -rwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 2903 Mar 5 2007 /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env Please help. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFS Mount: Permission Denied

Hi, - I have two solaris 10 servers. One is running nfs server (let's call it server-1) and has a share set through /etc/dfs/dfstab file: share -F nfs /opt/SHARE (where SHARE directory contains sub-items that I want to share) - On server-1, I have started the nfs server service and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackola
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

I would like to copy data from local mechine to cluster. Basically, I typed scp -r DVD/ acount@cluster:/ it shows Permission denied. Could anyone please give me a clue to write permission on cluster, please? The poperty of where on cluster I'd like to put is drwxr-xr-x Any idea would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: su_in99
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nfs permission denied failure

I think I must be drain bamaged... I'm just trying to export an NFS share and mount it on a client. Should be really easy but I'm failing! Here's the set up: Server: OS: Centos 5.3 Name: fileprint-0 (aliases fp00, fs00) Exported directory: /home/ESE Client: OS: Centos 5.3 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: texaganian
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem with nfs sharing, permission denied for writing.

Hi I have a problem with NFS sharing on solaris 10, the problem simply with write permission, after do the following command, the folder still not writable from machine 2 : on machine 1 (10.10.10.32) : share -F nfs -o rw /u01/portalrepository/ on machine 2 (10.10.10.31) : mount -F nfs... (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: Al-Mothafar
35 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission Denied creating file under nfs mount

I have two servers, 82 and 70. My exports file on 82 reads / ...70(rw) on 70 I have a mountpoint called mnt_for_82 I execute on 70 mount -t nfs -o rw ...82:/ mnt_for_82 I go to server 70 and indeed can read and travers the mounted subdirectories. However, I try... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blaine.miller
0 Replies

8. Solaris

NFS in Solaris 9 - Permission denied

nfs mount: Permission denied Guy's in Solaris 9 I'm trying to mount the below mount point as nfs in clinet mount -F nfs -o rw 171.13.10.20:/shared /app but I'm getting the below message !!! bash-2.05# mount -F nfs -o rw 171.13.10.20:/shared /app nfs mount:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
2 Replies

9. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Permission denied

Trying to get date into the txt file. It says Permission denied. echo $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D) >> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt exec 2>> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt if ; then # Do the thing you want before suspend here echo "we are suspending $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D)." elif ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
sm-notify(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      sm-notify(8)

NAME
sm-notify - Send out NSM reboot notifications SYNOPSIS
/sbin/sm-notify [-dfq] [-m time] [-p port] [-P path] [-v my_name ] DESCRIPTION
File locking over NFS (v2 and v3) requires a facility to notify peers in case of a reboot, so that clients can reclaim locks after a server crash, and/or servers can release locks held by the rebooted client. This is a two-step process: during normal operations, a mechanism is required to keep track of which hosts need to be informed of a reboot. And of course, notifications need to be sent out during reboot. The protocol used for this is called NSM, for Network Status Monitor. This implementation separates these into separate program. rpc.statd tracks hosts which need to be notified and this sm-notify performs the notification. When rpc.statd is started it will typically started sm-notify but this is configurable. Operation For each NFS client or server machine to be monitored, rpc.statd creates a file in /var/lib/nfs/sm, and removes the file if monitoring is no longer required. When the machine is rebooted, sm-notify iterates through these files and notifies the peer statd server on those machines. Each machine has an NSM state , which is basically an integer counter that is incremented each time the machine reboots. This counter is stored in /var/lib/nfs/state, and updated by sm-notify. Security sm-notify has little need for root privileges and so drops them as soon as possible. It continues to need to make changes to the sm and sm.bak directories so to be able to drop privileges, these must be writable by a non-privileged user. If these directories are owned by a non-root user, sm-notify will drop privilege to match that user once it has created sockets for sending out request (for which it needs privileged) but before it processes any reply (which is the most likely source of possible privilege abuse). OPTIONS
-m failtime When notifying hosts, sm-notify will try to contact each host for up to 15 minutes, and will give up if unable to reach it within this time frame. Using the -m option, you can override this. A value of 0 tells sm-notify to retry indefinitely; any other value is interpreted as the maximum retry time in minutes. -v ipaddr-or-hostname This option tells sm-notify to bind to the specified ipaddr, (or the ipaddr of the given hostname) so that all notification packets originate from this address. This is useful for NFS failover. The given name is also used as the name of this host in the NSM request. -p port instructs sm-notify to bind to the indicated IP port number. If this option is not given, it will try to bind to a randomly chosen privileged port below 1024. -q Be quiet. This suppresses all messages except error messages while collecting the list of hosts. -P /path/to/state/directory If sm-notify should look in a no-standard place of state file, the path can be given here. The directories sm and sm.bak and the file state must exist in that directory with the standard names. -f If the state path has not been reset with -P, sm-notify will normally create a file in /var/run to indicate that it has been run. If this file is found when sm-notify starts, it will not run again (as it is normally only needed once per reboot). If -f (for force) is given, sm-notify will run even if the file in /var/run is present. -n Do not update the NSM state. This is for testing only. Setting this flag implies -f. -d Enables debugging. By default, sm-notify forks and puts itself in the background after obtaining the list of hosts from /var/lib/nfs/sm. FILES
/var/lib/nfs/state /var/lib/nfs/sm/* /var/lib/nfs/sm.bak/* /var/run/sm-notify.pid SEE ALSO
rpc.nfsd(8), portmap(8) AUTHORS
Olaf Kirch <okir@suse.de> 19 Mar 2007 sm-notify(8)