Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hiding login/password in process! Post 51388 by google on Tuesday 18th of May 2004 11:06:28 PM
Old 05-19-2004
If you are not in a trusted environment, then OPS$ may not be what you want. See this link

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hiding password from ps

I'm calling a program with a command line arguement containing a password. while the process is running anyone on the system can ps -ef and see the password. Is there a way to prevent this from happening. example PROGRAM USERNAME/PASSWD I've also tried PROGRAM `cat passfile` ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudojo
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hiding password for FTP in a script

Hi, I have a simple script to ftp from unix to a mainframe to get and put files. Currently I have the password setup in a VARS file and dereference the var in my script. Doing it this way allws me to change the password in only one place but it is still viewable for many people. Is there any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cass3
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hiding Password

Hello. A bit of a puzzle here: I have a 3rd party executable, which requires the following parameters: parm1 = program_name, parm2=userid/password, parm3=additional flags. We tried passing password as a variable, but you can do grep, and see what the password actually is I found a bit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kishinevetz
2 Replies

4. Solaris

SSH Password-less login fails on password expiry.

Hi Gurus I have a few Sol 5.9 servers and i have enabled password less authentication between them for my user ID. Often i have found that when my password has expired,the login fails. Resetting my password reenables the keys. Do i need to do something to avoid this scenario or is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New Approach Hiding login password from ps -ef

Hello all , I looked up this site for solutions to hide login info from ps -ef | grep like using a seperate file and store the password in that especially for oracle sqlplus scripts. I just got this thought , But dont know how to implement this in UNIX. Is there a way to revoke access from... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonsimon
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hiding processes / process arguments

Is there a way of hiding a process, or at the very least, process arguments? I'm writing a hosting panel (PHP), and I need to be able to adduser and do other tasks in which I do not want the arguments shown on the termnial for other users of the system. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaymac407
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting help/advise on hiding/masking username/password

Hi, I currently have a UNIX script with a function that uses a username and password to connect to the database, retrieve some information and then exit. At the moment, am getting the username and password from a hidden plain text file and permission set to -r--------, i.e. read only to who... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote call not hiding password fields

Not sure on the description, but here is a quick rundown. I have 2 servers, we'll call them serverA serverB On serverB, I am calling a script that inside it has the following: ssh srvdsadm@serverB sudo -u dsadm /opt/apps/DataStage/scripts/autoDeploy.sh ${projName} ${subProjVar}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password hiding in UNIX

Hi guys, I use STTY command to make the password invisible. Now I need to write the password into another file pwd.txt, but in an invisible manner, something like ******. Another thing is to when I echo the content of pwd.txt I get the password I actually typed. Thanks guys. Help me out. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies
OPENSEARCH-DISCOVER(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    OPENSEARCH-DISCOVER(1)

NAME
opensearch-discover - Find an OpenSearch link from a given URL. SYNOPSIS
opensearch-discover [-q] [-v] [-t TITLE] [-1|-a] [-h] [URL] DESCRIPTION
Loads the given URL, searches it for a link to an OpenSearch description URL, and prints that URL. OPTIONS
-q, --quiet Give no output on errors. In this case, consult the exit code to determine errors (See "DIAGNOSTICS"). -v, --verbose Verbose: display titles with links. Combine with -a to see all available searches -t TITLE, --title=TITLE Only display links matching TITLE, a case-insensitive perl regular expression. For example, -t book would match Book Search, and -t b.*k would match Book Search or Baby Springbok. -1, --first Only display first (matching) link. This is the default. -a, --all Display all (matching) links. -h, --help Display a short help message. DIAGNOSTICS
On success, prints the address of the OpenSearch description file and returns 0. If it cannot load the given URL, it returns 1. If the given URL does not contain a link to an OpenSearch description file, it returns 2. If required perl modules are missing, it returns 3. DEPENDENCIES
Requires modules from libwww-perl and HTML::Parser (Debian package libhtml-parser-perl). BUGS
None known. Please report any found to ianb@erislabs.net SEE ALSO
opensearch(1), opensearch-genquery(1), surfraw(1), WWW::OpenSearch(3pm), <http://www.opensearch.org/> AUTHOR
Ian Beckwith <ianb@erislabs.net> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2006 Ian Beckwith <ianb@erislabs.net> Licensed under the same terms as surfraw. perl v5.12.4 2011-07-12 OPENSEARCH-DISCOVER(1)