Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: umount
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers umount Post 5116 by patvdv on Tuesday 7th of August 2001 06:25:04 PM
Old 08-07-2001
Check processes

To the umount:

Check any running processes on that mounted file system (including sub directories). A great tool for checking this is lsof (list open files). To kill user processes you can user the utility fuser (-ku) (but be careful with this). You might have to run fuser several times to get rid of all (stuck) processes.

To the fsck:

Depens on your OS and disk software. fsck is the standard and best tool for Linux.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umount error

the program as follow: mount /dev/fd0135ds18 /mnt cd /mnt touch file1 cat /file2 >/mnt/file1 umount /dev/fd135ds18 when error tell device busy could you tell me the reason? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fresh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

umount help

hi all, I inherit a Solaris7 system with /home mounted via a share from the NFS server. When I look at mnttab, there are two entries mounted under /home. Let's say they are server:/home/a and server:/home/b. I would like to maintain /home/a but not /home/b. However, I just don't know where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrec
4 Replies

3. Solaris

umount is failing

I am trying to umount a NFS share. When I do the following: # umount syrupg21 umount: /oebs/syrupg21: device is busy device bussy so I like to check what is working on the system.... # fuser -muv /oebs/syrupg21/ # So no locks should be there... any clue? Regards, Johan... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suntac
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to umount CDRom

Hi, I am writing a multi-cd spanning installer for a particular software in Linux (Redhat 4 or greater / Suse ) My Program is in Java. A Shell Script is used to fork the java process. I found out that when the Installer tries to go to the next disc when prompted so, by the installer, the eject... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiju.jacob
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to force umount

sorry, wrong section, mod please close thread (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertngo
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Is it really impossible to force umount on HP-UX

Hello, yeah... here my question : Exist some way to force umount on HP other than reboot? Thanks gb (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
12 Replies

7. Linux

Is umount -l dangerous?

I had a umount busy issue, that the usual fuser -mk did not solve, I did a umount -l and was able to unmount the device, I then got in trouble by the storage team staff: Here was a snippet of their response: Using "umount -l" is a potentially dangerous act. The command combination for a lazy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pastajet
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accidentally umount -a

Hi all, I accidentally unmounted filesystems using umount -a command. How to recover from this. Please help. Thanks in advance! when i try to use mount -a i got the following output. # mount -a mount: /dev/vg00/lvol05 already mounted or /opt busy mount: /dev/vg00/lvol07 already... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Umount CIFS

hi guys I have to umount a CIFS from a Windows machine...but it's been imposible there is one special task /sbin/umount.cifs /mondobackup that task cannot be kill...so I cannot umount the unit any idea how to kill this and umount this CIFS share? by the way I've tried umount... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
5 Replies

10. Linux

Umount is not reflecting in losetup.

Hi, initially i will mount a image using loop device using below command mount -n -o loop,noatime,ro -t squashfs /mnt/fsh/bt.img /opt/app/test then "mount" reflects with below /dev/loop0 on /opt/app/test type squashfs (ro,noatime) i will then umount using below commnd, umount is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
0 Replies
UMOUNT.NFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     UMOUNT.NFS(8)

NAME
umount.nfs, umount.nfs4 - unmount a Network File System SYNOPSIS
umount.nfs dir [-fvnrlh ] DESCRIPTION
umount.nfs and umount.nfs4 are a part of nfs(5) utilities package, which provides NFS client functionality. umount.nfs4 and umount.nfs are meant to be used by the umount(8) command for unmounting NFS shares. This subcommand, however, can also be used as a standalone command with limited functionality. dir is the directory on which the file system is mounted. OPTIONS
-f Force unmount the file system in case of unreachable NFS system. -v Be verbose. -n Do not update /etc/mtab. By default, an entry is created in /etc/mtab for every mounted file system. Use this option to skip delet- ing an entry. -r In case unmounting fails, try to mount read-only. -l Lazy unmount. Detach the file system from the file system hierarchy now, and cleanup all references to the file system as soon as it is not busy anymore. -h Print help message. NOTE
For further information please refer nfs(5) and umount(8) manual pages. FILES
/etc/fstab file system table /etc/mtab table of mounted file systems SEE ALSO
nfs(5), umount(8), AUTHOR
Amit Gud <agud@redhat.com> 6 Jun 2006 UMOUNT.NFS(8)