Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers editing a profile on solaris 2.3 Post 5058 by phpote on Tuesday 7th of August 2001 10:44:21 AM
Old 08-07-2001
Hammer & Screwdriver found where to change the path...

So I found it...thanks to you.
For info, on this solaris spark 26, su path is changeable in /etc/default/su and/or in etc/default/login.

Now, another slight difficulty : when I am in a directory, let's say usr/local and I call a file in that directory I get a file not found. But if I state the full path to it, it works.
I'll try to resolve that one.
If anyone has a hint ? most welcome

Thanks again

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 9 and .profile

I have created a custom nologin shell named nologinksh that looks like this. #!/bin/ksh DATE=`date |sed 's/:.. .*//'` LAST=`last -1 |grep "$LOGNAME.*$DATE"` if ; then echo "Remote logon is not permitted." else export SHELL=/bin/ksh . $HOME/.profile ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where is the .profile on Solaris 10G

Hi, I am trying to modifying the root user .profile file, but I cannot find it. If I do the command "echo $SHELL", i get /sbin/sh Where is the .profile located at? Sun's doc says the users home folder. I'm logged in as root, but when I go "/home", I don't see it :( Please help (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: annointed3
9 Replies

4. Solaris

rootsh on Solaris 10 is not sourcing root's .profile

I'm attempting to setup rootsh on Solaris 10 to log the activity of users who require root access. However it does not appear to be sourcing root's .profile file even when run with the '-i' option. I was wondering if anybody else has run into this and might have a solution. Thank you. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungfusnwbrdr
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in setting .profile , .cshrc , .exerc ..... in HP-UX , Solaris , AIX-UX

I need help in settings to Hp-UX , Solaris , AIX-UX .. I worked on Linux previously ... now i am working on Hp-UX , Solaris , AIX-UX .. up/down arrow , to see history of previous command (basically to modify ) and few keyboard keys are different ... so i need to set .profile , .cshrc , ... to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girija
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron on Solaris not editing.

I am working on Solaris machine. I have to add a cron for some operation, nut in SSH terminal crontab -l shows all related crons, but crontab -e instead of opening vi editor shows some number. Could any body tell what can be issue? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
16 Replies

7. Solaris

Video capture and editing on Solaris vs Debian vs Ubuntu

I am interested in doing some heavy video work. I have a ADVC 110 Video capture device, which I am using to capture VHS video tapes, which I will convert on the server to DVD format and burn to DVD's using DVD production software. I will also take the captured video file and split it up in parts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Marcus Aurelius
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to give sudo entry in .profile file in Solaris?

Hi all, In Solaris , What entry should I add in my .profile file in home directory so that every time I don't have to give Sudo's full path like /usr/local/bin/sudo as well as /usr/sbin/ping and it will be Great help if you could tell me how to know what should be added. Please Advice.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bash_profile versus .profile of user in Solaris 10

Hi All I am kind of confused, when to use .bash_profile or .profile I have just created a user on a test server, with: useradd -u 103 -d /fretagi -m -s /bin/bash fretagi but now in its home dir I have: -bash-3.2$ ls -al total 14 drwxr-xr-x 2 fretagi other 512 Dec 5 15:54 .... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
5 Replies
LOOKUP_DCOOKIE(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						 LOOKUP_DCOOKIE(2)

NAME
lookup_dcookie - return a directory entry's path SYNOPSIS
int lookup_dcookie(u64 cookie, char *buffer, size_t len); DESCRIPTION
Look up the full path of the directory entry specified by the value cookie. The cookie is an opaque identifier uniquely identifying a par- ticular directory entry. The buffer given is filled in with the full path of the directory entry. For lookup_dcookie() to return successfully, the kernel must still hold a cookie reference to the directory entry. RETURN VALUE
On success, lookup_dcookie() returns the length of the path string copied into the buffer. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT The buffer was not valid. EINVAL The kernel has no registered cookie/directory entry mappings at the time of lookup, or the cookie does not refer to a valid direc- tory entry. ENAMETOOLONG The name could not fit in the buffer. ENOMEM The kernel could not allocate memory for the temporary buffer holding the path. EPERM The process does not have the capability CAP_SYS_ADMIN required to look up cookie values. ERANGE The buffer was not large enough to hold the path of the directory entry. VERSIONS
Available since Linux 2.5.43. The ENAMETOOLONG error return was added in 2.5.70. CONFORMING TO
lookup_dcookie() is Linux-specific. NOTES
lookup_dcookie() is a special-purpose system call, currently used only by the oprofile profiler. It relies on a kernel driver to register cookies for directory entries. The path returned may be suffixed by the string " (deleted)" if the directory entry has been removed. COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2004-06-17 LOOKUP_DCOOKIE(2)