Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Identifying and removing control characters in a file. Post 49925 by oracle8 on Tuesday 13th of April 2004 06:08:39 PM
Old 04-13-2004
Question Identifying and removing control characters in a file.

What is the best method to identify an remove control characters in a file. Would it be easier to do this in Unix or in C.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Identifying invisible characters in Unix file

I have a file, which when you look at it, appears as if it has spaces.... But sometimes, it is has tab or Nulls or some other character which we are not able to see..... How to find what character exactly it is in the file, where ever we are seeing a space... (Iam in solaris)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thanuman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden control characters in a Unix Text File!

Can anyone seem to know how to find out whether a UNIX text file has 'hidden' control characters? Can I view them using 'vi' by some command line options? If there are control characters in a text file which are invisible/hidden.. then how do I get rid of them? Your intelletual answers are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewl_guy
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

display all possible control characters from .xml file in unix

Hi, I have a .xml file in unix. We are passing this file through a xml parser. But we are getting some control characters from input file and XML parser is failing for the control character in file.Now I am getting following error, Error at byte 243206625 of file filename_$.xml: Error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fantushmayu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing ^M characters from a file

Hi, I want to removing ^M characters from a file and combine the line with the next line. ex: issue i have: ABC^M^M DEF solution i need: ABCDEF I found that you by using the following command you can remove new line characters. tr -d '\r' < infile.csv > outfile.csv still... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters - Control M

I have developed a small script to remove the Control M characters that get embedded when we move any file from Windows to Unix. For some reason, its not working in all scenarios. Some times I still see the ^M not being removed. Is there anything missing in the script: cd ${inputDir}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Removing control-m characters from shell script

Hi All, I need to remove control m character from a file. Steps which i am doing in shell script are: 1) We are comparing the header of the file to the database table header Here the file header has control-m characters. How do i remove it. Please help. Below are the steps i am using,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in removing control M and Line feed in output file.

Hi All, In my output file i am getting control m character and also the line feeds at different places and with different combinations, the content of the file is supposed to be in a single line but if there is a line feed in between then from there onwards it's going into new line. I tried... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bipin Kumar
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to view the control characters in a file?

Hello, How can I view control and special characters of a text file?. For example, space, tabs, new line chars etc. Can I use hexdump for it? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Special control characters in file

Hi Guys, We receive some huge files on to Linux server. Source system use FTP mechanism to transfer these files on our server. Occasionally one record is getting corrupted while transfer, some control characters are injecting into the file. How to fix this issue ? please advice ? Sample... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to strip control-A characters from a column in a file

Hi All, I currently have flat file with 32 columns. The field delimiter is cntl-A ( \x01). The file has been extracted from an oracle table using a datastage job. However, in the 6th field, the data contains additional control -A characters which came as a part of the table data. I need... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha1238
12 Replies
Gtk2::Helper(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Gtk2::Helper(3pm)

NAME
Gtk2::Helper - Convenience functions for the Gtk2 module SYNOPSIS
use Gtk2::Helper; # Handle I/O watchers easily, like Gtk 1.x did $tag = Gtk2::Helper->add_watch ( $fd, $cond, $callback, $data ) $rc = Gtk2::Helper->remove_watch ( $tag ) ABSTRACT
This module collects Gtk2 helper functions, which should make implementing some common tasks easier. DESCRIPTION
Gtk2::Helper->add_watch ( ... ) $tag = Gtk2::Helper->add_watch ( $fd, $cond, $callback, $data ) This method is a wrapper for Glib::IO->add_watch. The callback is called every time when it's safe to read from or write to the watched filehandle. $fd Unix file descriptor to be watched. If you use the FileHandle module you get this value from the FileHandle->fileno() method. $cond May be either 'in' or 'out', depending if you want to read from the filehandle ('in') or write to it ('out'). $callback A subroutine reference or closure, which is called, if you can safely operate on the filehandle, without the risk of blocking your application, because the filehandle is not ready for reading resp. writing. But aware: you should not use Perl's builtin read and write functions here because these operate always with buffered I/O. Use low level sysread() and syswrite() instead. Otherwise Perl may read more data into its internal buffer as your callback actually consumes. But Glib won't call the callback on data which is already in Perl's buffer, only when events on the the underlying Unix file descriptor occur. The callback subroutine should return always true. Two signal watchers are connected internally (the I/O watcher, and a HUP watcher, which is called on eof() or other exceptions). Returning false from a watcher callback, removes the correspondent watcher automatically. Because we have two watchers internally, only one of them is removed, but probably not both. So always return true and use Gtk2::Helper->remove_watch to disable a watcher, which was installed with Gtk2::Helper->add_watch. (Gtk2::Helper could circumvent this by wrapping your callback with a closure returning always true. But why adding another level of indirection if writing a simple "1;" at the end of your callback solves this problem? ;) $data This data is passed to the callback. $tag The method returns a tag which represents the created watcher. Later you need to pass this tag to Gtk2::Helper->remove_watch to remove the watcher. Example: # open a pipe to a ls command use FileHandle; my $fh = FileHandle->new; open ($fh, "ls -l |") or die "can't fork"; # install a read watcher for this pipe my $tag; $tag = Gtk2::Helper->add_watch ( $fh->fileno, 'in', sub { watcher_callback( $fh, $tag ); }); sub watcher_callback { my ($fh, $tag) = @_; # we safely can read a chunk into $buffer my $buffer; if ( not sysread($fh, $buffer, 4096) ) { # obviously the connected pipe was closed Gtk2::Helper->remove_watch ($tag) or die "couldn't remove watcher"; close($fh); return 1; } # do something with $buffer ... print $buffer; # *always* return true return 1; } Gtk2::Helper->remove_watch ( ... ) $rc = Gtk2::Helper->remove_watch ( $tag ) This method removes a watcher, which was created using Gtk2::Helper->add_watch(). $tag This is the tag returned from Gtk2::Helper->add_watch(). $rc The method returns true, if the watcher could be removed successfully, and false if not. SEE ALSO
perl(1), Gtk2(1) AUTHOR
Joern Reder <joern AT zyn.de> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2003 by Joern Reder This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Library General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU Library General Public License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-27 Gtk2::Helper(3pm)