Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Um, this is lacking sense
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Um, this is lacking sense Post 4987 by mib on Monday 6th of August 2001 08:36:49 AM
Old 08-06-2001
Re: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
And if all i need is a few files from windows, could I not then get them from my windows restore CD's?

[/B]

Make a Linux bootdisk ( dd if=/newest-kernel of=/dev/fd0 )

Get a dos boot floppy with fdisk on it, and boot from it and type "fdisk /mbr". If windows works fine after a reboot, boot linux using the bootdisk and edit /etc/lilo.conf ( make sure boot=/dev/hda in lilo.conf). Run /sbin/lilo. It should display "added Linux and windows" message if everything ok.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux Benchmarks

Linux Benchmarks Makes No Sense

I created two computers with identical hardware, and run the benchmark programs in both starting at the same exact time. What makes no sense is that the computer that has the lower average index (121) finished the race a good 30 minutes ahead of the computer wich showed the higher avg index... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philip_38
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple grep - Not sure it makes sense!

I have 3 files in directory mydir named as follows, I run the sequence of commands shown below and I have questions at the result. File names are: ABC_GP0 ABC_GP0.ctl ABC_GPX Commands and results: $ ls /mydir/ | grep * <-- (q1) I get nothing - OK $ ls /mydir/ | grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Sense Key: Media Error

Hi all, We have below WARNING in /var/adm/messages file from our Solaris server. WARNING: /sbus@1f,0/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@0,0 (sd0): Error for Command: write(10) Error Level: Fatal Requested Block: 16745265 Error Block: 16745269 Vendor: SEAGATE Serial Number:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: summerboy
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to make sense of rsync output...

I'm running the following rsync command to sync a directory between the 2 servers: rsync -az --delete --stats /some_dir/ server_name:/some_dir I'm getting the following output: Number of files: 655174 Number of files transferred: 14221 Total file size: 1138531979331 bytes Total... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff result makes no sense

Hi, I have written a small shellscript Imagine dbalt.txt already existed... " .... touch report.txt lynx -dump "http://site.com/index.htm" > site1.txt lynx -dump "http://site.com/index2.htm" > site2.txt grep -E 'Nummer: |EUR' site1.txt > preis1.txt grep -E 'Nummer: |EUR' site2.txt >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blackbox
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Homework questions, book is lacking answers?

Hey you guys, There's a couple questions I cannot find the answers to anywhere in this book for my Operating Systems class, hopefully you guys could help. I believe we are in the Bourne shell. 1. Match each description to the appropriate type of variable Used in shell programs ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KyleBucket
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sar -d output... does not make sense

Can someone explain the correlation between how sar names the disk drives and how the rest of the OS names the disk drives? sar lists my disk drives as sd0, sd1, sd2, etc..... while format lists my disk drives as c1t0d0, c1t1d0, c1t2d0,etc... And also why sar shows 8 disks but format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s ladd
2 Replies

8. AIX

Sense Data Layout

On AIX 7.1 we have errors with SC_DISK_ERR4 label. In document "Fibre Channel Planning and Integration: User's Guide and Service Information" I can find SENSE Data description in section "PCI Fibre Channel Adapter, SCSI-3 Protocol (Disk, CD-ROM, Read/Write Optical Device) Error Log Sense... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dmitriy
1 Replies
FDFORMAT(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       FDFORMAT(8)

NAME
fdformat - Low-level formats a floppy disk SYNOPSIS
fdformat [-n] device DESCRIPTION
fdformat does a low level format on a floppy disk. device is usually one of the following (for floppy devices, the major = 2, and the minor is shown for informational purposes only): /dev/fd0d360 (minor = 4) /dev/fd0h1200 (minor = 8) /dev/fd0D360 (minor = 12) /dev/fd0H360 (minor = 12) /dev/fd0D720 (minor = 16) /dev/fd0H720 (minor = 16) /dev/fd0h360 (minor = 20) /dev/fd0h720 (minor = 24) /dev/fd0H1440 (minor = 28) /dev/fd1d360 (minor = 5) /dev/fd1h1200 (minor = 9) /dev/fd1D360 (minor = 13) /dev/fd1H360 (minor = 13) /dev/fd1D720 (minor = 17) /dev/fd1H720 (minor = 17) /dev/fd1h360 (minor = 21) /dev/fd1h720 (minor = 25) /dev/fd1H1440 (minor = 29) The generic floppy devices, /dev/fd0 and /dev/fd1, will fail to work with fdformat when a non-standard format is being used, or if the for- mat has not been autodetected earlier. In this case, use setfdprm(8) to load the disk parameters. OPTIONS
-n No verify. This option will disable the verification that is performed after the format. SEE ALSO
fd(4), setfdprm(8), mkfs(8), emkfs(8) AUTHOR
Werner Almesberger (almesber@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch) AVAILABILITY
The fdformat command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Linux 0.99 1 February 1993 FDFORMAT(8)