Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how do u remove a messed up freebsd boot installation? Post 4958 by mib on Sunday 5th of August 2001 10:48:17 AM
Old 08-05-2001
You didn't say what other OSs you have in your system. if its dual boot with windows do 'fdisk /mbr' form DOS. This only wipes out lilo from the master boot record .

If you have any Linux distros in your system edit lilo configuration file (/etc/lilo.conf: remove entry for freebsd) and run /sbin/lilo.

You can delete FreeBSD partition while installing Linux. You can also delete FreeBSD partition using fdisk either from dos or from Linux.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

snort installation on freebsd issues

i'm following the, "How to setup and secure Snort, MySQL and Acid on FreeBSD 4.6 Release" off of the snort.org website. in the documentation it says snort should be installed through the following: ----- make -DWITH_MYSQL -DWITH_FLEXRESP ; make install ----- later it says to do the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
13 Replies

2. BSD

FreeBSD / KDE installation woes...

Forgive the newbie question. I've been trying to install FreeBSD 5.4 on a new AMD64 based box at work today, and I started running into problems. Maybe some background is appropriate? Here goes... I've finished the first stage of development of a model in C++ which simulates airflow through a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ForestryJim
1 Replies

3. Linux

freeBSD installation

why is my new freeBSD hanging at setting up hostname each time I plug in the network cable i use host name like X.ng I intend to configure it as a gateway (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AkinOkin
2 Replies

4. BSD

FreeBSD Installation problems

Hi all, I'm new to the world of Unix/Linux (though not to computing in general) and I'm having a few issues installing FreeBSD (v6.2). Firstly, I realise that it's not the most user-friendly of distros, especially for newbies, but it's what I'm required to install so unfortunately I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Techmonkey
2 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How do I remove FreeBSD to boot from Windows CD?

Just got free laptop w/FreeBSD. Won't boot from CD, only boots into FreeBsd. I need to install Windows, what do I do?:( (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laforg
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Messed up my boot environment or root profile

Ok, a couple weeks ago I was fixing a cron report about perl not happy with 'locale' info (LANG and LC not set). As a result, I was experimenting with setting the correct 'locale' in several areas (like /etc/sysconfig/i18n and who knows where). Somehow after a reboot, as soon as the OS starts... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garball
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

8. BSD

An installation script on freeBSD

Hello So i got my hands on some freebsd iso, installed it in a qcow2 image and installled git and bash. So far, so good. Git repositry retireved install script executed files got copied files have exec flag files are in $PATH / found by which / bash-completion works But still,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't boot FreeBSD after successful installation.

This is a cross post as I haven't got any solution and I'm badly in need of one. I've installed Slackware 14.2 in /dev/sda1 and x86Solaris 10 U6 in /dev/sda3 (sda2 is Linux swap)and boot menu was Solaris grub but, later deleted Solaris partition and installed FreeBSD12 (for i386) on the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
3 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)