Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tftp daemon error
Operating Systems Solaris tftp daemon error Post 49201 by myscsa2004 on Saturday 27th of March 2004 09:48:20 PM
Old 03-27-2004
ok, did it, here's a summary:

I set up snoop for port 69, and requested a file via tftp that was non-existant, tftp kept polling for the non-existant file, and the error message was generated by syslog that tftp protocol was not supported...

Then with the same snoop set-up, i created a test file, then requested it via tftp...it transfered fine, and the output of snoop looked identical...now the weird thing, so tftp works fine, but when i snoop port 69, and i am not explicitly requesting a file, there are no other requests for tftp transfers...even at the udp level, there may be some packets exchanged every minute or so, but nothing as far as tftp goes, and nothing matches up with the syslog besides my test requests ???

so i still have the tftp protocol not supported errors filling up my syslog, that seem to be generated by tftp requests for a non-existant file, but yet there are no tftp requests into the server...weird...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bootp/tftp

Hi, Setting up print queue, using SMIT on AIX And I have an option saying do I wish to make this a BOOTP/TFTP server. What exactly does this do? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

TFTP question

I have been hearing that this protocol offers faster throughput rate than FTP, is it true? If so, are there any compromise in reliability on data being sent? How do I set up a TFTP transfer instead of a FTP to download? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ho_k
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

snmpd daemon error

Good day I always find these error messages on /var/adm/messages it appear every 15 mn , does any body know how to stop these messages without stopping the daemon , i tried to restart the daemon by uising Kill -HUP 332 please find below the error messages that appear always in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itsgeorge
1 Replies

4. Linux

tftp question

RH 7.2 I am attempting to get tftp working but I'm having a problem. On the server, xinetd has libwrap options compiled in. I have a deny all policy in my hosts.deny file and the following entries in my hosts.allow file: in.tftpd:.10.151.2.6 But...when I attempt to tftp from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jalburger
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tftp

Is it possible to copy files between two computers with TFTP.And how? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bericica
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tftp troubleshooting

Hi I am trying to do a network install of Solaris 10 08_07 onto a Sunfire T2000. I have configured all my network-boot-arguments on the client server (named sundb1). I have installed my image of Solaris on my install server (sun1). But when I try to install using # boot net -s I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bobby76
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TFTP not found

Hi, I'm trying to run the tftp client on tsch shell and I get command not found, but on bash tftp ran fine, can anyone help me on how to run it on tsch? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wsn
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Improperly formatted value for 'tftp-server' error while booting the target from LAN

Hi, I wish to install solaris 10 on a target machine (t1000) by using Jumpstart. I have configured by jumpstart environment for the same. When i boot the target with the option "boot net -v install" i get the following error... {0} ok boot net -v install Boot device: /pci@7c0/pci@0/network@4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adm: [ID 70291 daemon.error]

Hi all I have been having this error in dmesg for quite some time and I'm not sure what's the errors associate with it. The closest I can get is the error in the fd2log, mv: cannot rename pacct.0 to SPacct.0.xxxx: Permission denied I initially solved the problem by setting the folder group... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiaochensg
9 Replies

10. Solaris

Daemon error in Solaris 11

Hi guys, thanks for your help. Please can some explain to me what this error means Aug 21 09:18:29 solaris11 in.ndpd: incoming_ra: SIOCSLIFLNKINFO (interface net1): Invalid argument I am running solaris 11 in Sunfire T2000 Thank you very much for your assistance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
0 Replies
tftp(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tftp(1)

NAME
tftp - Provides the Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) SYNOPSIS
Interactive form: tftp [remote_host] [port] Command-line form: tftp remote_host [port] -subcommand [args] DESCRIPTION
The tftp command transfers files between hosts using TFTP. Because TFTP is a minimal file transfer protocol, the tftp command does not pro- vide all of the features described under the ftp command. For example, tftp does not provide subcommands to list remote files or change directories at the remote host, and limited file access privileges are given to the remote TFTP server. Note that the tftp command is not available when your host is operating in controlled access (secure) mode. The remote host must have a tftpd server started by its inetd server and have an account defined that limits the access of tftpd. Use the tftpd command to set up the TFTP environment and the nobody account. The tftp command has two forms: interactive form and command line form. In the interactive form, tftp is issued alone or with a host argu- ment that specifies the default host to use for file transfers during this session. You can also specify a port for the tftp connection to use. When you enter the interactive form, the tftp> prompt appears. In the command line form, you specify command arguments on the com- mand line, and no prompt appears. The tftp command can overwrite a file, but prompts you before doing so. When transferring data to a remote host, the transferred data is placed in the directory specified by the remote_file argument. remote_file must be a fully specified filename, and the remote file must both exist and have write permission set for others. The tftp command attempts to write the data to the specified file. However, if the remote TFTP server does not have the appropriate privileges to write the remote file or if the file does not already exist, the transfer fails. SUBCOMMANDS
The tftp subcommands can be entered in either their interactive form or in their command line form. Displays help information. If a sub- command is specified, only information about that subcommand is displayed. Synonym for the mode ascii subcommand. Synonym for the mode binary subcommand. This subcommand is used in the interactive mode. The image mode is the same as mode binary, but is used on the command line. Sets the remote host, and optionally the port, for file transfers. Because the TFTP protocol does not maintain connections between transfers, the connect subcommand does not create a connection to host, but stores the settings for transfer operations. Because the remote host can be specified as part of the get or put subcommands, which overrides any host previously specified, the connect subcommand is not required. Transfers a file or set of files from the remote host to the local host. Each of the remote_file arguments can be speci- fied in one of the following two ways: As a file that exists on the remote host, if a default host was already specified. As host:file, where host is the remote host and file is the name of the file to copy to the local system. If this form of the argument is used, the host specified for the last transfer becomes the default host for subsequent transfers in this tftp session. In either case, remote_file must be a fully-specified filename. Toggles hash marks. Sets the transfer mode to ascii or binary. A transfer mode of ascii is the default. Sets mode to octet. Transfers a file or set of files from the local host onto the remote host. The remote_directory and remote_file arguments can be specified in one of the following two ways: As a file or directory that exists on the remote host, if a default host was already specified. As host:remote_file, where host is the remote host and remote_file is the name of the file or directory on the remote system. If this form of the argument is used, the host specified for the last transfer becomes the default host for subsequent transfers in this tftp session. In either of these cases, the remote filename or directory name must be a full pathname, even if the local and remote directories have the same name. If a remote directory is specified, the remote host is assumed to use UNIX pathname syntax. Exits tftp. An End-of-File also exits the program. Displays transfer rate information. Defines the retransmission time-out for each packet, in seconds. Shows the current status of tftp, including the current transfer mode (ascii or binary), connection status, time-out value, and so on. Sets the total transmission time-out to the number of seconds specified by value. Turns packet tracing on or off. Turns verbose mode, which displays additional information during file transfer, on or off. EXAMPLES
To enter tftp, check the current status, connect to host1, and transfer the file update from host1 to the local host, enter: $ tftp tftp> status Not connected. Mode: netascii Verbose: off Tracing: off Rexmt_interval: 5 seconds, Max-timeout: 25 seconds tftp> connect host1 tftp> get /u/alice/update update tftp> quit $ The get subcommand transfers the file update from the remote host to your local host. Note that the directory /u/alice on the remote host must have read permission set for others. To perform the same operation in command-line mode, enter: $ tftp host1 -status -get /u/alice/update update Connected to host1. Mode: netascii Verbose: off Tracing: off Rexmt_interval: 5 seconds, Max-timeout: 25 seconds To open a tftp connection to host1, set binary mode, transfer the file game.exe from the local host to host1, and rename the file in the process, enter: $ tftp host1 tftp> binary tftp> put game.exe /u/alice/tictactoe.exe The put subcommand transfers the file game.exe from your local host to the remote host as tictactoe.exe. Note that the directory /u/alice on the remote host must have write permission set for others. Also, the file tictactoe.exe must already exist on the server and have write permission set for others. To perform the same operation in command-line mode, enter: $ tftp host1 -binary -put game.exe /u/alice/tictactoe.exe To transfer two files from the local host to two remote hosts, enter: $ tftp tftp> put product.html pricelist.html host1:/u/alice/public_html tftp> put product.html pricelist.html host2:/public/documents The put subcommand transfers the files from your local host to the specified directory on each remote host. Again, the files and directories must already exist on the remote hosts and have write permissions set for others. When the file transfer is complete, the last host, host2, becomes the default host for subsequent transfers in this tftp session. To perform the same operation in command-line mode, enter: $ tftp host1 -put product.html pricelist.html /u/alice/public_html $ tftp host2 -put product.html pricelist.html /public/documents FILES
Defines the address of the local host, and specifies the names and addresses of remote hosts. Defines the sockets and protocols used for Internet services. SEE ALSO
Commands: ftp(1), ftpd(8), inetd(8), rcp(1), syslogd(8), tftpd(8) tftp(1)