Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Background job
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Background job Post 48976 by rdbooth on Tuesday 23rd of March 2004 12:21:36 AM
Old 03-23-2004
MySQL Background job

Hiya,

Recently I've run a few scripts in the foreground, but have realised later they should of been better nohup'd and placed in the background. I understand how to change a foreground job into a background one, but how would put the job into the nohup state?

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

I try to run a script as background job. script: #!/usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/date +20%y-%m-%d > ~/datsql.txt If I start it I got this output: tac> ./datermitteln& 293 + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ./datermitteln& I insert the following line inside my script, but without any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

on gnome i open a terminal and run wget http://soommmething & in the background. because wget shows me downloading progress percentage and download speed continuously, I exit the gnome-terminal after a while i want to see the download percentage but dont know how. my ps -u myname shows that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babayeve
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get background job to foreground

hi, i am just wondering that wen we give the following code we make a process run in background...can the viceversa be performed?i.e can this be made foreground again # sleep 75& 21751 # (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandilya
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot submit a background job

Hi all, I am currently facing a problem when i am submitting a script to run in the background to collect statistics round the clock on an AIX box. I don't have root authority nor can I set it in cron. So when i submit the job, it runs fine, but won't let me signoff. It prompts me that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tansha
2 Replies

5. AIX

Question on background running job

Guys, We use AIX 5.3 at our work place. I only in my team have a strange problem of not able run jobs background. Other colleagues are able to run without any problem. Once I kick off background job using nohup and & command, It immediately stops. The following error I get when I run. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandsbr
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Background job when completed

Hello - I submitted one background job last night and it completed today morning.I want to know exact time the job completed. I submitted backgroung job like this nohup cp -Rp /opt/apps/prod/proddb/proddata . & I want to know when above job completed on UNIX server.Above command... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mansoor8810
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Job

Hello Everyody, Having a doubt. sort file1 & when we sent a job to the background it returns Job Number PID again if we want to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knroy10
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background job issue

How to bring a backgroud job say sample_script.sh to foreground (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background job not working as expected

Hello Unix Buddies, cat infinite.sh #!/bin/sh while true do echo "Infinite loop" doneI am running it in the background $ ./infinite.sh > /dev/null & 31634Then i do an exit or click on the cross mark to close the session. Now my expectation is that when i open up a new... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripting
8 Replies
NOHUP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup -- invoke a utility immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
nohup [--] utility [arguments] DESCRIPTION
The nohup utility invokes utility with its arguments and at this time sets the signal SIGHUP to be ignored. If the standard output is a ter- minal, the standard output is appended to the file nohup.out in the current directory. If standard error is a terminal, it is directed to the same place as the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin nohup command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. ENVIRONMENT
The following variables are utilized by nohup: HOME If the output file nohup.out cannot be created in the current directory, the nohup utility uses the directory named by HOME to create the file. PATH Used to locate the requested utility if the name contains no '/' characters. EXIT STATUS
The nohup utility exits with one of the following values: 126 The utility was found, but could not be invoked. 127 The utility could not be found or an error occurred in nohup. Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of utility. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), signal(3) STANDARDS
The nohup utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BUGS
Two or more instances of nohup can append to the same file, which makes for a confusing output. BSD
July 19, 2001 BSD