Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris cannot find boot device and won't boot off cdrom Post 48836 by kymberm on Thursday 18th of March 2004 10:50:21 AM
Old 03-18-2004
I've tried to boot off both the solaris disks, the solaris 2.5.1 and the solaris desktop disk. I've never seen anything where it wouldn't boot off the cdrom too, or the main hard drive.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot from external cdrom

Could some one please tell the command used to boot from an external SCSI cdrom drive? from PROM level. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Can't boot from cdrom at ok prompt

I want to install Solaris 9 on SUN ULTRA 10. The cdrom is attached to an ide controller. The server is currently running Solaris 2.6 I insert Solaris cd 1 of 2 and at the ok prompt I type boot cdrom i get the error below Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f file and args:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Msororaji
11 Replies

3. Solaris

Boot from cdrom

i am having a problem when trying to boot from cdrom. I received the below message system is not bootable, boot command is disabledfound how can i fix this. also what is the key combination on ordinary keyboard for STOP+A. Is it ctrl+break? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
2 Replies

4. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

5. Solaris

not able to boot from cdrom

Hi all am trying to boot the system from cdrom in single user mode , however when i am giving command boot cdrom -s i am getting below error Boot Device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0: f file and args: Can't read disk label Can't open disk label package can,t open boot device ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
17 Replies

6. Solaris

can't boot cdrom

iam traying to install o/s in spark machine it showing error ok >boot cdrom is showing error short disk read failed to read superblock the file just loaded does not appear to excutable how to solve this can u help me (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Boot cdrom - install

Hi community, Does anyone can tell me the difference between "boot cdrom" and "boot cdrom - install" ? Thank you very much:D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
3 Replies

8. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

9. Hardware

Cannot boot from scsi cdrom

I have a server with a scsi raid controller (for hard drives) and a scsi controller (for tape drive and cd-rom). I am trying to boot from the cd-rom but can't. During boot up, bootable media is detected in the cd-rom but the system will not boot from it. BIOS for the raid controller installs but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powwm
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cannot boot cdrom -s

Good Afternoon, I'm trying to boot from cdrom so I: bash-2.05# init 0 {1} ok boot cdrom -s and I get: Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -s Boot Device: /pci@1e,600000/ide@d/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s Can't read disk label. Can't open disk label package Evaluating: Can't open boot... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
13 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)