Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Backup with shell program and cron job. Post 48593 by jarkvarma on Thursday 11th of March 2004 02:48:46 AM
Old 03-11-2004
Backup with shell program and cron job.

Hi,

The object of my program is to take automatic backup on daily basis to different folders. I have created the respective folders. when I execute below given shell program manually it is working perfectly and taking the backup to respective folder.

#!/bin/sh
#script to take backup on day basis, This is going to run from cron job.
#
while :
do
clear
yourch=`date +%u`
case $yourch in
1) exp backuser/backuser@linux1 file=/disk4/backup/Mon/linux1_Mon.dmp log=/disk4
/backup/Mon/linux1_Mon.log full=y direct=Y compress=N rows=N; exit 0;;
2) exp backuser/backuser@linux1 file=/disk4/backup/Tue/linux1_Tue.dmp log=/disk4
/backup/Tue/linux1_Tue.log full=y direct=Y compress=N rows=N; exit 0;;
3) exp backuser/backuser@linux1 file=/disk4/backup/Wed/linux1_Wed.dmp log=/disk4
/backup/Wed/linux1_Wed.log full=y direct=Y compress=N;rows=Y exit 0;;
4) exp backuser/backuser@linux1 file=/disk4/backup/Thu/linux1_Thu.dmp log=/disk4
/backup/Thu/linux1_Thu.log full=y direct=Y compress=N rows=N; exit 0;;
5) exp backuser/backuser@linux1 file=/disk4/backup/Fri/linux1_Fri.dmp log=/disk4
/backup/Fri/linux1_Fri.log full=y direct=Y compress=N rows=N; exit 0;;
6) exp backuser/backuser@linux1 file=/disk4/backup/Sat/linux1_Sat.dmp log=/disk4
/backup/Sat/linux1_Sat.log full=y direct=Y compress=N rows=Y; exit 0;;
esac
done

When the same program kept in cron, it is not working.
IF I EXECUTE NORMAL COMMAND IN THE CRON WITH OUT SHELL THEY ARE WORKING WHEN I KEEP ANY SHELL PROGRAMS, THEY ARE NOT WORKING.

0 23 * * * /home/oracle/backup/backup.sh
> /home/oracle/backup/backup.log

The backup.log file is creating with 0 bytes.

Please help me in solving this problem.

With Regards
Varma.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON-Job / Shell-Skript deleting special files

Just I'm trying to find script, which will do the following job: 1. as a CRON-Job it shoult a) delete files which will be either older than 24 hours or b) all files within a) a directory deleting recursive b) only a special directory. 2. write an error-/Delete_log... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManfredWL
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script run by user or cron job ?

My shell script runs fine both as a cron job and when i issue it. However, I wish to differentiate when it runs as a cron-job so the "echo" statements are not issued (they get mailed to me, which i don't want). I tried checking $USER but since the cron was created in my user that does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job - shell code correction

Hi I have a website that is having problem with cron jobs... I have a cron job set up to go to a page with this code... <? include('config.php'); if($_sys->bible_email_frequency == 'DAILY') { $u = new user(); $u->send_bible_email(); } ?> If i send my browser to this page... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whybelieve
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job shell script..

Hey Guys, i was trying out a shell script which has to remove a file for every 90 mins. this is the code i came up with . $ crontab -e file1 file1 contains 30 1 * * * * rm -r /folder1/folder2/somefile.txt Now i need the cron to run for every 90 mins. the problem with this is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check mail backup cron job

i have just installed a cron job to run at 3 in the morning once a week. It's difficult for me to test if it works because the email backup program takes the email service down before running the backup. I wondered if i could ask you gurus if this would work? 0 3 * * 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timgolding
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Shell Script gives error when run through cron job.

Hi, The following shell script runs without any problem when executed manulally. USED=$(df -h /arch | tail -1 | awk '{print $5}' | cut -d '%' -f 1) if then find /arch/AUBUAT/ -type f -mtime +0 | xargs rm find /arch/AUBMIG/ -type f -mtime +0 | xargs rm fi But the same gives below... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksadiq79
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron job for the created shell script

Hi am newbie for unix shell.. how to create a cron job for my already created shell script.:confused: Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job and running program

Dear experts, I have this cronjob * */2 * * * $path/supervisor.sh The supervisor script is checking another script, which initializes the final scripts in multiple directories. Note that the supervisor script runs without the cronjob. In each directory, I have the following script: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To refire a backup job using shell scripting..........

how to write a code using shell scripting to refire a back up job if it fails with an error code of 196? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pawan Ramnani
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON JOB not running - for tape backup from root user

I am trying a cron on root user to backup to tape using TAR command here is the cron entry 11 08 * * 6 /erdhot1cron 2>&1 >> /test3/scripts/dba/erdhot1cron.log here is script inside - edhot1cron #!/bin/bash vsysdt=`date +%d%m%y` date tar -cvf /dev/st0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaymec50
4 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)