Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Array size
Top Forums Programming Array size Post 4857 by Neo on Wednesday 1st of August 2001 08:28:12 PM
Old 08-01-2001
When a new process is created it is not given unlimited memory. Much of the memory requirements come from symbols created during compile time based on memory allocation requirements. Examples in C include the malloc system call, memory allocation.

So, the size of any array is contrained by how much space for that array was malloc'ed for example, when the binary was compiled and process executed.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
MALLOC(3) Linux Programmer's Manual MALLOC(3)

NAME
calloc, malloc, free, realloc - Allocate and free dynamic
memory

SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h>

void *calloc(size_t nmemb, size_t size);
void *malloc(size_t size);
void free(void *ptr);
void *realloc(void *ptr, size_t size);

DESCRIPTION
calloc() allocates memory for an array of nmemb elements
of size bytes each and returns a pointer to the allocated
memory. The memory is set to zero.

malloc() allocates size bytes and returns a pointer to the
allocated memory. The memory is not cleared.

( ..... extract from man page ... )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MAX SIZE ARRAY Can Hold it

Hi, Do anyone know what's the max size of array (in awk) can be store before hit any memory issue. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: epall
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Size of an array in sh shell script

Is there a way to find out the size of an array in sh shell script? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trivektor
1 Replies

3. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

4. Programming

size of char array in c

i have to store a data more than 100000. i don't know the size of the data whether it may be 100000 or 1000000. so how can i define variable size; example char abc; but i don't know the size so how can i give array size?? in one sentence how can i give the array size dynamically so that i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
6 Replies

5. Programming

CHAR Array - stuffed with values - with more size than it holds

Hi All I am simulating a problem in the production where i faced a situation. Please find the following example program which i simulated. #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<string.h> int main() { char str1; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use Awk and Array to get total size of files

Hello all, I need to do scripts total up the size in selected extension file for example motion.mov and segmentation.avi is in Label Media. For file info.doc and calc.xls in Label Document. I need output will be like this: count 1 Media,,2 GB count 2 Document,,4 GB My problem is,... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheikh76
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

9. Programming

Php number array from max, min, step size mysql data

I want to create a form with data values in a dropdown list. The values in the dropdown list need to be generated on the fly from max, min and increment values contained in a mysql database. Hopefully this makes sense, I really have no idea where to start :confused: Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array size in C shell scripting

Hi, I would like to know how to define the size of the array in c shell scripting. (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopishrine
15 Replies
GETRLIMIT(2)							System Calls Manual						      GETRLIMIT(2)

NAME
getrlimit, setrlimit - control maximum system resource consumption SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/time.h> #include <sys/resource.h> getrlimit(resource, rlp) int resource; struct rlimit *rlp; setrlimit(resource, rlp) int resource; struct rlimit *rlp; DESCRIPTION
Limits on the consumption of system resources by the current process and each process it creates may be obtained with the getrlimit call, and set with the setrlimit call. The resource parameter is one of the following: RLIMIT_CPU the maximum amount of cpu time (in seconds) to be used by each process. RLIMIT_FSIZE the largest size, in bytes, of any single file that may be created. RLIMIT_DATA the maximum size, in bytes, of the data segment for a process; this defines how far a program may extend its break with the sbrk(2) system call. RLIMIT_STACK the maximum size, in bytes, of the stack segment for a process; this defines how far a program's stack segment may be extended. Stack extension is performed automatically by the system. RLIMIT_CORE the largest size, in bytes, of a core file that may be created. RLIMIT_RSS the maximum size, in bytes, to which a process's resident set size may grow. This imposes a limit on the amount of physi- cal memory to be given to a process; if memory is tight, the system will prefer to take memory from processes that are exceeding their declared resident set size. A resource limit is specified as a soft limit and a hard limit. When a soft limit is exceeded a process may receive a signal (for example, if the cpu time is exceeded), but it will be allowed to continue execution until it reaches the hard limit (or modifies its resource limit). The rlimit structure is used to specify the hard and soft limits on a resource, struct rlimit { int rlim_cur; /* current (soft) limit */ int rlim_max; /* hard limit */ }; Only the super-user may raise the maximum limits. Other users may only alter rlim_cur within the range from 0 to rlim_max or (irre- versibly) lower rlim_max. An "infinite" value for a limit is defined as RLIM_INFINITY (0x7fffffff). Because this information is stored in the per-process information, this system call must be executed directly by the shell if it is to affect all future processes created by the shell; limit is thus a built-in command to csh(1). The system refuses to extend the data or stack space when the limits would be exceeded in the normal way: a break call fails if the data space limit is reached. When the stack limit is reached, the process receives a segmentation fault (SIGSEGV); if this signal is not caught by a handler using the signal stack, this signal will kill the process. A file I/O operation that would create a file that is too large will cause a signal SIGXFSZ to be generated; this normally terminates the process, but may be caught. When the soft cpu time limit is exceeded, a signal SIGXCPU is sent to the offending process. RETURN VALUE
A 0 return value indicates that the call succeeded, changing or returning the resource limit. A return value of -1 indicates that an error occurred, and an error code is stored in the global location errno. ERRORS
The possible errors are: [EFAULT] The address specified for rlp is invalid. [EPERM] The limit specified to setrlimit would have raised the maximum limit value, and the caller is not the super-user. SEE ALSO
csh(1), quota(2), sigvec(2), sigstack(2) BUGS
There should be limit and unlimit commands in sh(1) as well as in csh. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 13, 1986 GETRLIMIT(2)