Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar compression - please help Post 4803 by Taylor on Tuesday 31st of July 2001 09:47:44 PM
Old 07-31-2001
tar compression - please help

I'm backing up one of my sites, and will be moving to another host. This was an expermintal site, and many of the directories won't be needed.

What tar command is needed to exclude directories from the compressed file? Could you also give an example.

also this might be the same comand, but -
what command is need to only compress FILES in the current directory, but not to include any DIRECTORIES?

I did check the man pages
-exclude
-x

but i'm not sure on how to use.

Thanks in advance,
-Taylor

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bz2 compression

I have heard that bz2 compression a relatively new compression encoding algorithm, far superior to tar and gz. I also remember that I downloaded a FreeBSD LiveCD a while back that was only a couple hundred megs instead of the usual 650ish using bz2 - big difference, I'd say. But to the point, what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Predictor compression

Hi everybody, Does anybody know,whether linux-2.4.20-8 supports predictor1 compression in PPP protocol support,as i was able to see there were only two compression techniques that r being supported i.e bsd and deflate compression from "make menuconfig" under network device... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.ec
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.z file compression

Hello, I have a .z file which i understand to be UNIX. I'm on PC (no UNIX boxes) and have tried many different unzipping programs to extract this .z file, but only PicoZip has allowed me to view what is inside (telling me, i think, that it's not corrupt), but i have not been able to extract... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gonecat
3 Replies

4. AIX

AIX 4.2: tar using compression ?

Hi, is there a way to use compression on the TAR command running on a AIX 4.2 ? I did a "man tar" but did not see mentions of using compression, nor how to even find out the tar version. I want to look into ways of reducing the amount of time to do backups. One backup is dumping database... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. AIX

GNU Tar with compression for AIX 4.2 already compiled ?

Is there a GNU Tar available with compression option available for AIX 4.2 that I can directly use (not having to compile anything, simple installation) ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file compression

I'am looking for script (or tool) that would compress all files with given extension in all subdirectory. Important part is that every one file have to end in separate archive whit it's own name. Eaven if I could point multiple file in one directory and compress them it would be ok. I' am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Demerzel
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

9. Linux

Best Compression technique ?

Hi all, I am working on a sample backup code, where i read the files per 7200 bytes and send it to server. Before sending to server, i compress each 7200 bytes using zlib compression algorithm using dictionary max length of 1.5 MB . I find zlib is slow. Can anyone recommend me a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvss
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar gzip compression rate

How good is the compression rate of gzip when you use tar with the gzip option? I am pretty amazed that a 1 GB file was reduced to 1019K. This is what I did. tar -cvf tar_test.tar.gz -T /list_of_files ls -hl -rw-r-----. 1 owner group 19 Jul 23 16:00 list_of_files -rw-r-----. 1 owner group... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)