Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String Handling
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers String Handling Post 4697 by AkumaTay on Monday 30th of July 2001 11:04:44 AM
Old 07-30-2001
Tools String Handling

I am writing a Shell Script. Smilie

Now i've problem in handling a string.

Eg: read string1

after i read in the string, i wan to add a space after it.
I've tried 1.) $string1 += " "
2.) string1 += " "
But both way cant works.
Does anyone got any idea how to solve my problem?

Thx for reading....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

file handling

Hi all, I got a little issue here. Imagine that I have more than one process accessing one file. Is it possible to know which process(es) are accessing that file when I open the file?? Thanks for the help. Best regards, Ernesto (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjanesto
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

handling a coredump on HP?

This works for all my normal executions. But on one machine, a coredump is expected on one command. We don't care and know it will always happen, but need to confirm the version info from the start of the output. This is output from the exe: $ ./Up -*-*- XXXXXXX UPDATE XXXXX Version... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: brdholman
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Handling

Hi, I have a log file which runs into 3 to 5 GB. We store this typically for 6 months. When a new month starts we move the previous month into a 9 month back up log (file.9m) and delete the last month of the 9 month back up. Iam using awk to find the data and cat to join the files like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
3 Replies

4. Programming

[C] help with string handling memory leak

Ok, so I've been trying to figure out my fualt in this code for probably a week now. Hopefully somebody will see what I couldn't see. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. Lets begin. void serverStatus( const char* data ) { char* s ; int i, l = 0 ; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VRoemer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String handling is not working inside if loop

Hi All, I am comparing two strings inside an if condition if the strings are same then it should go inside the loop else it should execute code given in else part. But there is a but inside my script Even if the if condition is true it is not going inside the loop also it is executing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String handling

shell script to input two strings and stripe out the second string from the first string either from the beginning or from the end as per the user's choice (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priyanka Bhati
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling string

I have to source a file "varname" the content of varname file is like this: #ani ani1 = abc_ani ani2 = def_ani #sham sham1 = abc_sham sham2 = abc_sham Now i need to extract any line containing "ani: in it. And then store the extracted info in a file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling null Integer/string variables

I kind of found out the hard way that I am not able to manipulate the null value, the long silence that happens when there is no value returned. I am looking for PIDs, and when there is no PID return, I wanted to handle this special scenario. Here is my script. #!/bin/bash LAN_VARIABLE=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lan123
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Handling Comma in string values in a CSV file

Hi have a comma separated file which has numeric and string columns. String columns are quoted and can have comma in between the quotes. How to identify the columns with FS ="," sample records"prabhat,kumar",19,2000,"bangalore,India" In awk it should be$1 = prabhat,kumar $2=19 $3=2000... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhat.diwaker
9 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters (runes). Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by dupli- cating its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c Complement string1: replace it with a lexicographically ordered list of all other characters. -d Delete from input all characters in string1. -s Squeeze repeated output characters that occur in string2 to single characters. In either string a noninitial sequence -x, where x is any character (possibly quoted), stands for a range of characters: a possibly empty sequence of codes running from the successor of the previous code up through the code for x. The character followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. The character sequence followed by 1, 2, 3, or 4 hexadecimal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. A followed by any other character stands for that character. EXAMPLES
Replace all upper-case ASCII letters by lower-case. tr A-Z a-z <mixed >lower Create a list of all the words in one per line in where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. String2 is given as a quoted newline. tr -cs A-Za-z ' ' <file1 >file2 SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tr.c SEE ALSO
sed(1) TR(1)