Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: About raw partition
Operating Systems Solaris About raw partition Post 46860 by RTM on Wednesday 28th of January 2004 09:37:24 AM
Old 01-28-2004
You need to check what partitions are currently being used ( the df -kl command should be sufficient for that). Note what partitions are being used and then go into format.

Pick the disk you want to put a new partition on.

EXAMPLE ONLY- YOUR SYSTEM MAY BE DIFFERENT:

# format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
0. C0T0D0 <BLAH,BLAH,BLAH>
1. C0T1D0 < BLAH,BLAH,BLAH>

Specify disk (enter its number): 1
selecting c0t1d0
[disk formatted]

FORMAT MENU:
disk - select disk
type - select (define) a disk type
partition - select (define) a partition table

format> p

PARTITION MENU:
0 - change '0' partition
1 - change '1' partition
partition> p
(display the current table)

Note - you will never change partition 2 - leave it alone. (there are exceptions but very rarely)

Once you have the current table listed you can look at it and see if there is room on the disk (space left that has not been allocated to a partition ) by checking the total space (partition 2) versus what is in all the others. You can also check if there are any empty partitions for you to use. If there is nothing at all on this disk, then you can set up one of the partitions to use the whole disk (see any disk manager software you might be using for possible other partitions you might need to create for their needs).

With a raw partition you want to set the flag to wu.

Once you set the partition name (unknown will work) and the flag to wu, then you set the starting cylinder and the size. This is where you need to know what is already on the disk, if anything, so you do not overwrite another partition.

Once you get that, pick the label option and you should be done (since it's a raw partition you are attempting to make).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. Linux

Raw partition check

Hi I have Redhat linux 9. How can I check the size of a raw partition Regards, Raja Cool Linux!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 5.3 using raw partition for Oracle 10g

Hellow friends, We are having AIX 5.3 total memory allotted to /Backup directory is 700GB actual used memory is 250GB ..but when i issue df -gt command to check space it is showing /Backup directory is 70% full ..how to identify root cause.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umashankar1987
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Is it possible to extend a extended partition raw space in harddisk thru rhel 6

hi all, As going thru LVM concepts in rhel 6, got hit with a question about "how to use the raw partition of an harddisk which extended volume is taken a bit" please find the attached diagram... is it possible to use this raw space with previously created extended partition without data... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: redhatlbug
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a raw partition

Hi, I had created a primary partition (/dev/sda3) and made ext3 file system on it. then mounted it on a directory and touch a file (x) into this partition. however, I want to remove this partition and recreate it as an empty partition. so I used 'd' in fdisk command and delete that partition.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siavash sh
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
FDISK(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  FDISK(8)

NAME
fdisk - partition a hard disk [IBM] SYNOPSIS
fdisk [-hm] [-sn] [file] OPTIONS
-h Number of disk heads is m -s Number of sectors per track is n EXAMPLES
fdisk /dev/hd0 # Examine disk partitions fdisk -h9 /dev/hd0 # Examine disk with 9 heads DESCRIPTION
When fdisk starts up, it reads in the partition table and displays it. It then presents a menu to allow the user to modify partitions, store the partition table on a file, or load it from a file. Partitions can be marked as MINIX, DOS or other, as well as active or not. Using fdisk is self-explanatory. However, be aware that repartitioning a disk will cause information on it to be lost. Rebooting the sys- tem immediately is mandatory after changing partition sizes and parameters. MINIX, XENIX, PC-IX, and MS-DOS all have different partition numbering schemes. Thus when using multiple systems on the same disk, be careful. Note that MINIX, unlike MS-DOS , cannot access the last sector in a partition with an odd number of sectors. The reason that odd partition sizes do not cause a problem with MS-DOS is that MS-DOS allocates disk space in units of 512-byte sectors, whereas MINIX uses 1K blocks. Fdisk has a variety of other features that can be seen by typing h. Fdisk normally knows the geometry of the device by asking the driver. You can use the -h and -s options to override the numbers found. SEE ALSO
part(8). FDISK(8)