Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bc command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers bc command Post 4660 by wolf on Monday 30th of July 2001 07:11:38 AM
Old 07-30-2001
Tools bc command

I need to understand the bc command in UNIX. Can someone help me on this one.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

3. AIX

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 Can anybody help us with a command to retrieve netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 on aix machine. net/subnet address is in the format 172.16.212.0(signifies all 255 machines in an IPv4 network) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie8278
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix command : how to insert text at the cursor location via command line?

Hi, Well my title isn't very clear I think. So to understand my goal: I have a script "test1" #!/bin/bash xvkbd -text blabla with xbindkeys, I bind F5 key in order it runs my test1 script So when I press F5, test1 runs. I'm under Emacs/Vi and I press F5 in order to have "blabla" be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xib.be
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing command output from one command to the next command in cshell

HI Guys, I hope you are well. I am trying to write a script that gets executed every time i open a shell (cshell). I have two questions about that 1) I need to enter these commands $ echo $DISPLAY $ setenv $DISPLAY output_of_echo_$display_command How can i write a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple command execution inside awk command during xml parsing

below is the output xml string from some other command and i will be parsing it using awk cat /tmp/alerts.xml <Alert id="10102" name="APP-DS-ds_ha-140018-componentFailure-S" alertDefinitionId="13982" resourceId="11427" ctime="1359453507621" fixed="false" reason="If Event/Log Level(ANY) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. AIX

I'm facing problem with rpm command, when running the command and appears this error:

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program /usr/opt/freeware/bin/rpm because of the following errors: 0509-022 Cannot load module /opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a(libintl.so.1). 0509-150 Dependent module /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a(shr4.o) could not be loaded. 0509-152 Member... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohmkar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Another one line command where I'd like to determine if Ubuntu or Red Hat when running command

Hello Forum, I'm making very good progress on my report thanks to the very helpful people on this forum. I've been able to successfully create my report for my Red Hat servers. But I do have a few ubuntu servers in the mix and I'd like to capture some data from them when an ssh connection is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
8 Replies
dc(1)							      General Commands Manual							     dc(1)

Name
       dc - desktop calculator

Syntax
       dc [file]

Description
       The  command  is an arbitrary precision arithmetic package.  Ordinarily it operates on decimal integers, but you can specify an input base,
       output base, and a number of fractional digits to be maintained.  The overall structure of is a stacking (reverse Polish)  calculator.	If
       an  argument  is  given, input is taken from that file until its end, then from the standard input.  The following constructions are recog-
       nized:

number  The value of the number is pushed on the stack.	A number is an unbroken string of the digits 0-9.  It may be preceded by an under-
	       score _ to input a negative number.  Numbers may contain decimal points.

+  - /  *  %  ^
	       The  top two values on the stack are added (+), subtracted (-), multiplied (*), divided (/), remaindered (%), or exponentiated (^).
	       The two entries are popped off the stack; the result is pushed on the stack in their place.  Any fractional part of an exponent	is
	       ignored.

sx      The  top  of  the  stack is popped and stored into a register named x, where x may be any character.  If the s is capitalized, x is
	       treated as a stack and the value is pushed on it.

lx      The value in register x is pushed on the stack.	The register x is not altered.	All registers start with zero value.  If the l	is
	       capitalized, register x is treated as a stack and its top value is popped onto the main stack.

d       The top value on the stack is duplicated.

p       The  top  value	on  the stack is printed.  The top value remains unchanged.  P interprets the top of the stack as an ascii string,
	       removes it, and prints it.

f       All values on the stack are printed.

q       Exits the program.  If executing a string, the recursion level is popped by two.  If q is capitalized, the top value on	the  stack
	       is popped and the string execution level is popped by that value.

x       Treats the top element of the stack as a character string and executes it as a string of commands.

X       Replaces the number on the top of the stack with its scale factor.

[ ... ] Puts the bracketed ascii string onto the top of the stack.

<x  >x  =x
	       The top two elements of the stack are popped and compared.  Register x is executed if they obey the stated relation.

v       Replaces  the top element on the stack by its square root.  Any existing fractional part of the argument is taken into account, but
	       otherwise the scale factor is ignored.

!       Interprets the rest of the line as a UNIX command.

c       All values on the stack are popped.

i       The top value on the stack is popped and used as the number radix for further input.  When the base (number radix) is  re-set,  all
	       subsequent numbers are interpreted in the new base.

For  example, if the command is issued twice, first to set the base to base 2, then to reset it back to base 10, the new base value
	       must be given in the base originally set (that is, `2 i' will set the base to base 2, after which `1010 i' will set it back to base
	       10).

I       Pushes the input base on the top of the stack.

o       The top value on the stack is popped and used as the number radix for further output.

O       Pushes the output base on the top of the stack.

k       The top of the stack is popped, and that value is used as a non-negative scale factor: the appropriate number of places are printed
	       on output, and maintained during multiplication, division, and exponentiation.  The interaction of scale factor,  input	base,  and
	       output base will be reasonable if all are changed together.

z       The stack level is pushed onto the stack.

Z       Replaces the number on the top of the stack with its length.

?       A line of input is taken from the input source (usually the terminal) and executed.

; :     Used by for array operations.

An example which prints the first ten values of n! is the following:
       [la1+dsa*pla10>y]sy
       0sa1
       lyx

Diagnostics
       "x is unimplemented"
       x is an octal number.

"stack empty"
       Not enough elements on the stack to do what was asked.

"Out of space"
       The free list is exhausted (too many digits).

"Out of headers"
       Too many numbers being kept around.

"Out of pushdown"
       Too many items on the stack.

"Nesting Depth"
       Too many levels of nested execution.

See Also
       bc(1)

dc(1)