Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Executing JCL through UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Executing JCL through UNIX Post 46513 by Cameron on Sunday 18th of January 2004 02:59:39 AM
Old 01-18-2004
Quote:
Though the above does FTP the file to mainframe system but it does not "submit" the JCL which is what I want.
I'm not entirely surprised, but I am surprised that you are able to remotely FTP to the Mainframe. I was hard pressed to find many sites that allow their mainframes to be controlled remotely; and further more from a simple FTP script too.

I've worked at a number of mainframe sites that support TCP/IP. And at all of them, the mainframe dictates what goes in or out. So if you wish to upload JCL and execute it, then get yourself a logon and create your own JCL to upload and execute. It's nothing more than a security issue.

You'll find benefits in maintaining a dataset on the mainframe for just these types of uploads, now and in the future. It is also makes what you do on the mainframe more accountable. At the site I work at currently, we FTP everything from a downloade of simple report files to the uploading and compiling of source file. All controlled from the mainframe.

Best of luck to you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing UNIX command from java on NT

Hi - I am totally new to UNIX so please bear with me... I run a java program on Win NT server to do file ftp to UNIX server. I log in, cd, create ftp file on UNIX and quit from my java progam - all works well. Now I want to execute a script on UNIX. At the UNIX 'console'/'shell' (!?) you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CJ Walt
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

any such thing as JCL for Unix?

beyond newbie but I figured, what better place to ask than the "dummies" section :) Please point me to any online documentation for such a beast if it exists. thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jump23
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a unix command

Hi, I need to execute the following unix command through my java code - zip -e When i execute this command from the command prompt, i am prompted for a password in the following manner - Enter password: Verify password: Is it possible to provide the password inthe first command itself... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob23
5 Replies

4. Programming

Executing pl/sql using sqlplus on unix

Hi to all, I have a endday.sh file. And I execute this like "sh endday.sh" from command prompt. In endday.sh file it writes: sqlplus temp/temp@data @run.sql& echo $!>>pid.txt However my aim is not to put the pid into pid.txt but I need to insert the pid into an oracle table using sqlplus.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick1234
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi to all, I have a endday.sh file. And I execute this like "sh endday.sh" from command prompt. In endday.sh file it writes: sqlplus temp/temp@data @run.sql& echo $!>>pid.txt However my aim is not to put the pid into pid.txt but I need to insert the pid into an oracle table using sqlplus.... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

7. Solaris

passing an input parameter like date thru jcl using BPXBATCH utility

Hi.... i need to pass the dates (from - to) as the input parameters thru jcl invoking BPXBATCH utility. I know that PARM will do the above functionality. But how the above dates passed through jcl will be linked in the java-db2 program to be used in sql queries in order to generate the report... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sujatha Gowda
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can we execute Mainframe JCL thru UNIX

Hi, can we execute mainframe jcl in Unix system. I want to run jcl in unix instead of mainframe. Thanks in advance. Please post in an adequate forum! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev Das
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mainframe SAS JCL to Korn Shell script conversion

Hi All, Please help me to the conversion of Mainframe SAS JCL to korn Unix script. Please share the example from SAS JCL to Korn Unix Script. It be really helpful. Please share the online source also so I can look into it. Thanks, Abhishek (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek Tyagi
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Executing of UNIX script using email

Dear Unix Leads, can you please let me know is it possible to execute a shell script in UNIX machine sending an email from outlook or gmail ? or is it possible to generate a token file in UNIX by sending email which we can indirectly use to trigger script your response on this is highly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
5 Replies
ftpconfig(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     ftpconfig(1M)

NAME
ftpconfig - set up anonymous FTP SYNOPSIS
ftpconfig [ftpdir] ftpconfig -d ftpdir DESCRIPTION
The ftpconfig script is executed by the super user to set up anonymous FTP. Anonymous FTP allows users to remotely log on to the FTP server by specifying the user name ftp or anonymous and the user's email address as password. The anonymous users are logged on to the FTP Server and given access to a restricted file area with its own file system root. See chroot(2). The FTP area has its own minimal system files. This command will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous FTP server, including creating the ftp user account, creating device nodes, copying /usr/lib files, and copying timezone data. The passwd and group files set up have been stripped down to prevent malicious users from finding login names on the server. The anonymous file area will be placed under ftpdir. If the ftp user account already exists, then the current FTP area is used, and the system files in it are updated. All other files are left untouched. This command should be run to update the anonymous FTP area's configuration whenever a system patch is installed, or the system is upgraded. OPTIONS
-d Create a new or update an existing ftpdir without creating or updating the ftp user account. Use this option when creating guest FTP user accounts. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: ftpdir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the anonymous FTP area is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), useradd(1M), chroot(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpconfig(1M)