Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: chmod rights issue?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers chmod rights issue? Post 46419 by Westy564 on Thursday 15th of January 2004 03:15:04 PM
Old 01-15-2004
how to i add the user to the group?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Groups Rights

I just created a group. How do i make the groups read only to a specific file systems.(home directory). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niasdad
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

User rights

I wan to create a user e.g. Tom. whenever a file is created by user Tom or FTP is done using user as Tom, the rights on the file should be 777 (by default). how can I achieve this. Please help. Its very urgent. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharmavr
1 Replies

3. Solaris

FTP rights

How can I prevent some users from using FTP? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Burhan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access Rights

Hello Guru, I have very unique requirement , need some help. I have one folder created in one the server A. In this folder , the file getting uploaded from some java based page. then i am calling scp through key file, which works fine in another folder of server B. Currently , what i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u263066
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rights to FTP user

hi i want create a user to ftp (get) files from the 2nd machine. but i want to give specific rights to that user that he can't access only specific files and directories. please suggest (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Dansguardian Access rights

well hi to all The thing is I need to allow particular site to just one or 2 user not to everybody. Can anybody tell me how do i do it. If i put there ip in exception then whole Restriction would be bypassed which i dont want. Your Responses would be highly appreciated THANKS in ADVANCE (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: achtani_jeetu
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Rights Recursive with chmod

Hello, i want just to change Rights for a few direcories anf files, but some directories must be exclude. How can i put the command chmod as chmod -R 755 * exclude toto tata where toto and tata are directories Could you help me for that or must I use the find command Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

user rights

good evening .. I have a plea, who I can help me with a management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux I need for college .. .. and not told us no clue .. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex90
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting - CHMOD issue

Hi Friends , good morning . I am very new to Unix scripting and require a bit of advice to help resolve the below issue . Hope some one can provide some suggestion I have the below script which calls a Oracle stored procedure which inturn extracts data from a table and writes in a ascii... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J1nx007
4 Replies
NEWGRP(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp - log in to a new group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp command is used to change the current group ID during a login session. If the optional - flag is given, the user's environment will be reinitialized as though the user had logged in, otherwise the current environment, including current working directory, remains unchanged. newgrp changes the current real group ID to the named group, or to the default group listed in /etc/passwd if no group name is given. newgrp also tries to add the group to the user groupset. If not root, the user will be prompted for a password if she does not have a password (in /etc/shadow if this user has an entry in the shadowed password file, or in /etc/passwd otherwise) and the group does, or if the user is not listed as a member and the group has a password. The user will be denied access if the group password is empty and the user is not listed as a member. If there is an entry for this group in /etc/gshadow, then the list of members and the password of this group will be taken from this file, otherwise, the entry in /etc/group is considered. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SYSLOG_SG_ENAB (boolean) Enable "syslog" logging of sg activity. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
id(1), login(1), su(1), sg(1), gpasswd(1), group(5), gshadow(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 NEWGRP(1)