Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers search and replace in ASCII file Post 4618 by karpolu on Friday 27th of July 2001 01:54:15 PM
Old 07-27-2001
Question search and replace in ASCII file

Greetings....

I'm looking for the command and syntax to search files, several actually, that will find the string pattern "\0;" and delete it. I have over 200 files to change Smilie

Thanx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace in file

Hi guys, I have one file with duplicate string. I want to replace all the occurance of that string with some other string. How can I do that in vi editor? Malay Maru (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace in file..

Hi All, As I'm working on a Unix script... and the requirement is like, I need to search a word and replace it with the another word... for that i'm using SED command.... can anybody give any other alternate for this...? Thanks Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amits
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace in a file

Hi I have to search & replace column in the file.For example ..below iam having File1. in which 3rd column ...if it is A it should be 'ACT' if P it should be 'PAD' and if it ils D it should be 'DEC' I have to pass column no ,value and to be converted value as variables in to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyam_sat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

`find`, pulling 1st field from ASCII flat file as search/-name?

Hey Everyone! I have searched around for this on Unix.com and Google, and I'm either not phrasing my search properly or this is not as simple as I thought... I have a script that runs on a nightly basis that pulls one field worth of data from an internal MySQL database and populates to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gecko12332
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested search in a file and replace the inner search

Hi Team, I am new to unix, please help me in this. I have a file named properties. The content of the file is : ##Mobile props east.url=https://qa.east.corp.com/prop/end west.url=https://qa.west.corp.com/prop/end south.url=https://qa.south.corp.com/prop/end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolearn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace Extended Ascii Characters

We are getting extended Ascii characters in the input file and my requirement is to search and replace them with a space. I am using the following command LANG=C sed -e 's// /g' It is doing a good job, but in some cases it is replacing the extended characters with two spaces. So my input... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace in file

hi All i'm new to shell/bash scripting and need help to write a script. question: i have a file of 100's of line, i need to replace all zeros in that file with its respective position, starting from 0 to 23 and remove the remaining sample file is like. Enter the date in the format... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnu2u86
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies
ha(1)								    HA archiver 							     ha(1)

NAME
ha - a small file archiver utility SYNOPSIS
ha <command>[<option><option>...] archive [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
After the program name comes a command name (single letter) and options (single letters, appended to the command name without a space). COMMANDS
a[sdqemr012] Add files matching search pattern to archive. e[aqty] Extract files matching search pattern from archive. x[aqty] Extract files matching search pattern from archive using path information stored in archive. l[f] List files currently in archive. d[q] Delete files matching search pattern from archive. If archive does not contain any files after deletion it is removed. f[sdqemr012] Freshen files in archive. All files matching search pattern and newer than version already in archive are updated to archive. u[sdqemr012] Update files to archive. All files matching search pattern that are newer than version already in archive or are not yet in archive are updated to archive. t[q] Test files in archive. OPTIONS
0,1,2 Try compression method #. More than one can be specified. Methods are: 0-CPY Simple copying of files. 1-ASC Default method using sliding window dictionary followed by arithmetic coder. Offers quite good compression on wide variety of file types. 2-HSC Compression method based on finite context model and arithmetic coder. Quite slow for binary data, but offers very good compression especially for longer text files. y Assume answer yes on all questions. t Touch files when extracting. Sets file times to current machine time. r Recurse through subdirectories while searching for files matching search pattern. f Full listing of stored file information. m Move files when archiving. Files are removed from disk after they are successfully written to archive. a Set system specific file attributes when extracting files. s Find special files when archiving. e Do not store pathname information. q Quiet operation. d Make separate entries for directories. Saves information about empty directories, directory attributes etc. in archive. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Mikhail Gusarov <dottedmag@dottedmag.net> for Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). ha 0.999p 3 Jul 2008 ha(1)