Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup Problems
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backup Problems Post 459 by Mike11 on Tuesday 5th of December 2000 07:15:09 AM
Old 12-05-2000
I am trying to take a backup of one server and put it on another server for programming and testing. When I take a tape with the complete backup and put it in the new server I am asked for tape 2 within 10 minutes or so. It took an hour to make the backup, and there was only 1 tape. I'm using Edge Backup to do all of this. Is there any one thing i'm doing wrong, or was this whole thing incorrect from the start.
I still don't know what I'm doing when it comes to Unix, but I learn a little every day.

Michael Stevens

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup problems

Hi, I have two laptops that I need to switch Harddrives in, but I want to try and retain the data on on of the machines. This has a hd with win2K/Rhat6.2 dualboot, and I really only need to keep the Linux partition data. can I tar the files in the linux partition and then untar it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghoti
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'make' problems (compliation problems?)

I'm trying to compile and install both most recent version of 'make' and the most recent version of 'openssh' on my Sparc20. I've run into the following problems... and I don't know what they mean. Can someone please help me resolve these issues? I'm using the 'make' version that was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar backup problems

Im trying to use tar to backup the os directories. I have a file called bdirs which contains a list of the directories that im trying to backup: /bin /dev /devices /etc /export /home /kernel /lib /local /mnt /opt /platform /proc /sbin start /usr /var /vol (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

5. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backup a file and keep every version of the backup

I am trying to backup my .bash_history and I want to keep every version of the backup. I am thinking to put one of these in my crontab. 0 0 * * 0,3 cat .bash_history > boo 0 0 * * 0,3 cp .bash_history boo I would like the backups to be called boo1, boo2, boo3, etc. I would like to keep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync script and backup problems.

Hello everybody I'm triing since few days to do this. So sorry if my question looks stupide, but i've tried. I have to get picture from a folder (who is updated automaticly and with subfolder) with theirs extensions (i'm ok on that) and this files have to me copied in a folder where a website... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: boytruc
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies
BACKUP_ADDHOST(8)					       AFS Command Reference						 BACKUP_ADDHOST(8)

NAME
backup_addhost - Adds a Tape Coordinator entry to the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup addhost -tapehost <tape machine name> [-portoffset <TC port offset>] [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup addh -t <tape machine name> [-p <TC port offset>] [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup addhost command creates a Tape Coordinator entry in the Backup Database. The entry records o The host name of the Tape Coordinator machine where the Tape Coordinator (butc) process runs, as specified with the -tapehost argument. o The Tape Coordinator's port offset number, as specified with the -portoffset argument. An entry for the port offset must also appear in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file on the Tape Coordinator machine, where it is mapped to a UNIX device name (for a tape device) or pathname (for a backup data file). Each Tape Coordinator must have its own port offset number, and the command fails if a Backup Database entry already exists for the requested port offset number. To display existing Tape Coordinator entries, use the backup listhosts command. OPTIONS
-tapehost <tape machine name> Specifies the fully-qualified hostname of the machine for which to create a Tape Coordinator entry in the Backup Database. The machine must have an entry in either the cell's naming service (such as the Domain Name Service) or the host file (/etc/hosts or equivalent) on the machine where the command is issued. -portoffset <TC port offset> Specifies the Tape Coordinator's port offset number. Provide an integer from the range 0 through 58510, or omit this argument to use the default value of 0 (zero). The value must match the port offset number recorded for the same combination of Tape Coordinator and tape device or file in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file on the Tape Coordinator machine named by the -tapehost argument. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command creates an entry in the Backup Database that assigns port offset number 4 to a Tape Coordinator running on the machine "backup1.abc.com": % backup addhost -tapehost backup1.abc.com -portoffset 4 The following command creates a Backup Database entry that assigns port offset number 0 to a Tape Coordinator on the machine "backup3.abc.com": % backup addhost backup3.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_delhost(8), backup_listhosts(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_ADDHOST(8)