Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with IRIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with IRIX Post 4576 by hardshell on Thursday 26th of July 2001 03:07:04 PM
Old 07-26-2001
Uhm.. I'm not sure if this is true for IRIX,
but with the SUNs and HPs.. when this happens, this usually means that the X-display process is either hung or missing. If that is the case, then you have to login as root and restart the x-display deamon.
Hope that helps, I'm sorry if that's useless info.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Irix

I have an SGI running IRIX 6.5 The prob is when i login as user and open a file , it gives me error as "OUT OF MEMORY" when i su or login as root . THis error disappers I have lot of space in the System . Thanx DPai (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I am looking for a link in IRIX 5.3

I am using IRIX 5.3, When I type "man" in a UNIX text console from any machine on my network, I want to pull out the man pages from the station where they have been installed. Would anyone know the link? I would be so greatfull. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trixee
1 Replies

3. Programming

Irix 5.3

I am using IRIX 5.3, When I type "man" in a UNIX text console from any machine on my network, I want to pull out the man pages from the station where they have been installed. Would anyone know the link? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trixee
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Pax command and backups on AIX HP-UX and IRIX

can someone tell me in details what this command does: pax -rpe -f /dev/rmt0 -s:^/home:/temp/test:g The definition given in the source i got this from says that command is used to restore the files from /home to /tmp/test. now, i know there's goto be a deeper explanation than that. can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Internet in IRIX

I've got an O2 (R5000 32-bit) running IRIX 6.3. The problem is that my ISP requires me to have a DHCP client and I do not know how to enable it. I've tried via-wizard, but, only have the chance to enable a Static IP address. Does anybody know or can explain me how to enable it manually? :mad: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gastondoval
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PASSLENGTH on Irix

My first post here, and hopefully it will be one of many to come. I am currently running multiple SGI's with different versions of Irix. I have a problem setting the minimum password length for users. I have modified the /etc/default/passwd so that PASSLENGTH = 8 However, it still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: herrmag
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IRIX (SGI) question

How to change icon of my application (say script file) in IRIX icon view. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kosta_mirkin
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IRIX 6.5 newbie

I have had the great fortune to get an sgi octane for free! :D I have managed to get me an OS(IRIX 6.5.19f) but I have some questions that I hope are not too simple to the gurus out there. Before I ask, I build macs and PC's and have had some experience hacking osx into old beige macs, and pcs,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gheem
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba for IRIX 6.5.26

I am not new to unix as a user, but new in setting up a workstation/server. I need to connect to my PC network to share files. I have heard Samba is a good tool, but they do not have a compiled version to download for IRIX. Can someone help me out? Thanks, Orrbit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orrbit
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Irix - startup script problem

Hi there. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I guess a moderator can shift it if needed. I've set up a shell script to be run as a user that fires at startup on Solaris and RedHat by adding su - <user> -c <Path_to_Script>/<script>.sh And it works great. Problem is I can't get this to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rshampshire
0 Replies
gdm-restart(1m) 						   User Commands						   gdm-restart(1m)

NAME
gdm-restart, gdm-safe-restart, gdm-stop - stop or restart GDM SYNOPSIS
gdm-restart gdm-safe-restart gdm-stop DESCRIPTION
gdm-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a HUP signal to the GDM daemon. This command immediately terminates all sessions and logs out users currently logged in with GDM. gdm-safe-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a USR1 signal to the GDM daemon. GDM is restarted as soon as all users log out. gdm-stop stops GDM by sending a TERM signal to the GDM daemon. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gdm-restart Executable to stop and restart GDM /usr/bin/gdm-safe-restart Executable to stop and restart GDM safely /usr/bin/stop Executable to stop GDM ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-display-mgr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmdynamic(1), gdmflexiserver(1), gdmphotosetup(1), gdmthemetester(1), gdm(1m), gdmsetup(1m), attributes(5) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004, 2006. SunOS 5.11 1 Sep 2004 gdm-restart(1m)