Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remote shell with Win 2000
Special Forums Cybersecurity Remote shell with Win 2000 Post 4550 by ebergh on Thursday 26th of July 2001 07:33:44 AM
Old 07-26-2001
Follow up

Thank you to all those who replied to my question. Below is a summary of my findings when incorporating RSH. Perhaps this might help others.....

RSH [options] host [command] (sample test command used = rsh myserver -l username df -k)

-The log on "user" must have a valid user account on the Windows machine.

- The log on "user" must have a valid user account on the Unix machine. The user's log on name on both the Unix and Windows machine must be identical.

-On the Unix machine, the etc/hosts.equiv file must contain both the sending machine's fully qualified hostname (DNS) and the "user" name. Use the “man rsh” command in unix for details.

-If the RSH command is used in a batch file invoked by a Windows Service, the Service requires the "Log On As" name to be the same user name listed in the etc/hosts.equiv file.

-The Windows machine must have a registered name in the local DNS.

-While not recommended, if the local Windows machine is not registered in DNS, as might be the case for temporary test servers in development environments, you can override by putting the Windows machine's IP address and fully qualified server name in the Unix machine's etc/inet/hosts file (i.e. 123.45.67.89 myserver.mycompany.com loghost).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

ftp a file from remote pc of win 2000

Hello. I am programming in C on HP-UNIX system,i want ftp a file from remote pc which is window 2000 system,i donot how config my HP-UNIX and pc, i donot how program in C or in shell. Thank you for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdyjm
3 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

win 2000

Dear user sorry if the subject is not for that fourm .. but I get mad .. I wana solve that problem.. I started my new semster .. and last semster.. and there I use the net under a very huge list of restriction .. no msn massenger .. no yahoo massenger .. no underground site .. no fourms (I am ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RuDe_BuT_CoOoL
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Samba to join a win 2000 Domain

I am trying to set samba up to join my windows 2000 domain and I am having troubles If anyone if familiar with this help would be greatly appreciated I issue the following command # ./smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r DOMAINCONTROLER And the following gets returned load_client_codepage: filename... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gennaro
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freebsd and win 2000 working 2gether?

Hi Brothers, Please, I've just purchased a new PC and I would like to have both win 2000 and freebsd in the same hard drive, ( 40GB and 128Mb ) can you please help how to set up my new hard drive , please! Thank you..... aka Polymorphous (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Polymorphous
2 Replies

5. Programming

A C++ programing Shell on Win

Hello I need to translade the power of unix command shell (grep, sed, awk, wc, etc..) to windows. In my work every day I administrate 15 unix server ans 18 windows server, and I have the problem the absolutly limitation of windows shell. I´m a system administrator but I know programming. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dalmus
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote access from Windows 2000 into Solaris 8

All, I am looking for the easiest solution that will let me remote access from a Windows 2000 client into a Solaris 8 server. Any suggestions? Thanks Kevin (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin1166
3 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

shell and vImproved for win env

i have pleasure in using shell scripts and vi editor. VI Improved on Linux is also good. Is there a way that allows using shell as command interpretor and VIm as editor to work on windows? (not vi.exe) any help....... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paresh n doshi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a shell script in UNIX m/c from win 7 using ksh

I need to run a shell script on unix machine from windows 7. I used the "RSH" command in win XP successfully for this, But on win 7 it is not working. Can any body tell me how to run RSH on win 7 or any other command for similar use. I use the command as below rsh <unix m/c> -l <username>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arup1980
1 Replies
HOSTS.EQUIV(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    HOSTS.EQUIV(5)

NAME
hosts.equiv, .rhosts -- trusted remote hosts and host-user pairs DESCRIPTION
The hosts.equiv and .rhosts files list hosts and users which are ``trusted'' by the local host when a connection is made via rlogind(8), rshd(8), or any other server that uses ruserok(3). This mechanism bypasses password checks, and is required for access via rsh(1). Each line of these files has the format: hostname [username] The hostname may be specified as a host name (typically a fully qualified host name in a DNS environment) or address, ``+@netgroup'' (from which only the host names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all hosts). The username, if specified, may be given as a user name on the remote host, ``+@netgroup'' (from which only the user names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all remote users). If a username is specified, only that user from the specified host may login to the local machine. If a username is not specified, any user may login with the same user name. EXAMPLES
somehost A common usage: users on somehost may login to the local host as the same user name. somehost username The user username on somehost may login to the local host. If specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, the user may login with only the same user name. +@anetgroup username The user username may login to the local host from any machine listed in the netgroup anetgroup. + + + Two severe security hazards. In the first case, allows a user on any machine to login to the local host as the same user name. In the second case, allows any user on any machine to login to the local host (as any user, if in /etc/hosts.equiv). WARNINGS
The username checks provided by this mechanism are not secure, as the remote user name is received by the server unchecked for validity. Therefore this mechanism should only be used in an environment where all hosts are completely trusted. A numeric host address instead of a host name can help security considerations somewhat; the address is then used directly by iruserok(3). When a username (or netgroup, or +) is specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, that user (or group of users, or all users, respectively) may login to the local host as any local user. Usernames in /etc/hosts.equiv should therefore be used with extreme caution, or not at all. A .rhosts file must be owned by the user whose home directory it resides in, and must be writable only by that user. Logins as root only check root's .rhosts file; the /etc/hosts.equiv file is not checked for security. Access permitted through root's .rhosts file is typically only for rsh(1), as root must still login on the console for an interactive login such as rlogin(1). FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv Global trusted host-user pairs list ~/.rhosts Per-user trusted host-user pairs list SEE ALSO
rcp(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), rcmd(3), ruserok(3), netgroup(5) HISTORY
The .rhosts file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The ruserok(3) implementation currently skips negative entries (preceded with a ``-'' sign) and does not treat them as ``short-circuit'' neg- ative entries. BSD
November 26, 1997 BSD