Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Format Command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Format Command Post 4510 by JHeliosfear on Wednesday 25th of July 2001 12:47:11 PM
Old 07-25-2001
Resizing a file system

I believe that I know what your problem is. I believe that your formatting is not the issue, PROVIDED THAT YOU HAVE NOT OVERLAPPED CYLINDERS:-) What you either omitted to say or what you were not instructed to do is to edit /etc/vfstab

Once you have formatted and labelled the disk, do the following:

1. Take note of the logical device name (e.g. c0t0d0s5)
Note: logical device name will henceforth be called "logdev"

2. Run "newfs -v /dev/dsk/<logdev>"

3. Run "fsck -y /dev/rdsk/<logdev>"

4. Verify that the mount point (/opt) already exists and, if not, make it.

5. Now, edit /etc/vfstab as follows:
/dev/dsk/<logdev> /dev/rdsk/<logdev /opt ufs 3 yes -

e.g. /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s5 /opt ufs 3 yes -
Note: Separate each file entry with a tab and NOT a space.

6. mount /opt

7. Run "df -k" and verify that your file system has been mounted with the appropriate space allocated.

8. Reboot

Well, I hope that this helps you. Take care.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to format a grep command

Hello I am trying to use the grap command to locate the following phrase in a file: "file.php\tDebug: one two three" Note that \t denotes a tab (whitespace) and not the characters \ and t I am encountering the following 2 problems: 1) there is a perido between "file" and "php" which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasongr
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls command format display

Hi I have 3 files $ ls -l -rw-r--r-- 1 osbadmin osbadmin 427701 Apr 22 12:06 SANITY_TEST -rw-r--r-- 1 osbadmin osbadmin 427701 Apr 22 12:06 Success 123333 -rw-r--r-- 1 osbadmin osbadmin 427701 Apr 22 12:06 Success 123333 (1) I need to see this "SANITY_TEST" "Success 123333" "Success... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command format ?

Can some body tell me the meaning of '$1=$1' in the following syntax. nawk -v RS='' -v OFS=',' '$1=$1' myFile.txt Thanks, Mahesh :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshsri
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Date format of ll command

Hi, Unix: HP-UNIX. I have a requirement(part of my requirement) to get latest file modification date of all files(In a particular directory). Using ll comand i m able to find out the modification date but not in the required format My command and out put: echo trp_pb.sql `ll... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyadash
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

format a read command

I have a read command like this: print "enter the time to recover to: \n" print "please use the format dd-mon-rrrr hh24:mi:ss" read -n $dbtime How do I format/check the read command to force the desired date/time format I want? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change date format in 'last' command?

hi.. i am new to here. can anybody tell me how can we change the date format in the 'last' command. EX- on running last command i am getting -- rruat pts/12 172.18.40.101 Tue May 3 12:59 still logged in rruat pts/10 blr2-3f-239.asco Tue May 3 12:59 - 13:09 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thearpit
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format 'ps' command

Hi all, When I run the following command: $ ps -ef|grep pmon I get the following output: oracle 2820 11817 0 12:09 pts/0 00:00:00 grep pmon oracle 26906 1 0 Mar14 ? 00:00:43 ora_pmon_sat11cr1 oracle 26915 1 0 Mar14 ? 00:00:08 ora_pmon_sat11dm1 Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to format output of command?

Hi how do you change the format of the output of ls -lt -c -R $HOME | sed /^total/d From: /home/pikamon/Desktop: -rwxr-xr-x 1 pikamon pikamon 35 Sep 18 14:25 fileModified.sh -rwxr-xr-x 1 pikamon pikamon 87 Sep 18 14:25 fileModified.sh~ /home/darksky21/Downloads: -rwxrw-rw- 1 pikamon... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pikamon
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date command format

Hi, I need to convert a date format "August 12, 2013 9:40:00 PM CDT" in to DD/MM formant For example ..I am using ... date -d "January10, 2013 04:05:00 AM CST" +%m/%d which gives me... 01/10 However, when i'am using it against every month it is throwing errors on some months as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need command for date format

hi all, i had a requirement in my script iam passing the parameter like (its not the system date iam passing as argument like it can be any date) 2014-08-25 but in my output file it should be 08/25/2014 please guide me thanks in advance hemanthsaikumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
3 Replies
installgrub(1M)                                                                                                                    installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)