Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New section
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators New section Post 4496 by Neo on Tuesday 24th of July 2001 03:38:47 PM
Old 07-24-2001
I think the chances are pretty good.! I will start a new section called something like "FAQ: The Best Posts of UNIX.COM" and with subsections appropriately made. We will copy some of the best posts on many subjects to that section and lock the threads, as a FAQ. Structure TBD.

This will help keep the server faster so people don't have to search too much .... and try to think of clever key words (which can be helpful if English is not your native language.)

Great suggestion Smilie Thanks.

Please be patient and I'll start this when I have some time. Suggestions on threads to include welcome, of course!! If you have any particular threads you like that cover FAQ questions, please post them here.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

New Section

Just like we have a section "Unix for dummies..." , why not have a section on UNIX BACKUP AND RECOVERY Thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapilv
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Windows section?!?

Since when did unix.com become unixandwindows.com? Just my opinion, but I think this forum should stick to what it does well: providing Unix knowledge. Is there any user preference for ignoring a particular topic section? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PxT
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is Critical section is all about?

what is a critical section?why multipleprocesses or multiplethreads cant be given a chance to access the critical section? please explain me with an example. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
3 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

apple section

Why I can see 3 from 80 topics in apple section? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kezzol
1 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

New section

Hi Just a thought if it already hasn't been suggested. While looking at the forums I thought it might be a good idea under somewhere like 'special forums' add a section called 'projects'. I think this would be good for people to be able to post projects they have created. For example I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get one particular section (using awk)?

Hey, I have a problem about how to get one section of a file? I'm new to shell, but by reading some tutorial, I think I can use awk to do this. my input file: >ref|ZP_04937576.1| ECRINAEDPKTFMPSPGKVKHFHAPGGNGVRVDSHLYSGYSVPPNYDSLVGKVITYGAD DEALARMRNALDELIVDGIKTNTELHKDLVRDAAFCKGGVNIHYLE... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritacc
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove <br> not in section

I need to remove the <BR> from all sections of a page, except what is between a section of text: #!/bin/sh sed ' /Testing Considerations/,/<B>PT# - Description:/ ! { s/<BR>// } ' But this isn't working. I'm not using the ! operator correctly, can someone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend first line of section to each line until the next section header

I have searched in a variety of ways in a variety of places but have come up empty. I would like to prepend a portion of a section header to each following line until the next section header. I have been using sed for most things up until now but I'd go for a solution in just about anything--... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagrus
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Grep of by section?

I have a script that outputs this as a file John Smith ---------------- memberOf: example1;sampletest;test memberOf: example2;sampletest;test memberOf: example3;sampletest;test memberOf: example4;sampletest;test A Member of 4 Groups Sally Smith ---------------- memberOf:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
4 Replies
british-english-insane(5)					   Users' Manual					 british-english-insane(5)

NAME
british-english-insane - a list of English words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/british-english-insane is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
There may be any number of word lists in /usr/share/dict/. /etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to the currently-chosen /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default-wordlist(8) for more information, and/or to change the currently- chosen word list. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. The Debian English word lists are built from the SCOWL (Spell- Checker Ori- ented Word Lists) package, whose upstream editor is Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>. Debian 16 June 2003 british-english-insane(5)