Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Books
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix Books Post 4396 by Astudent on Wednesday 29th of November 2000 05:30:52 PM
Old 11-29-2000
Another good shell programming book I saw on my quest on
getting the best unix shell programming book is:
"Linux and Unix Shell Programming" by Tansley David

I find that "Unix Shell Programming" is a better book, but this linux/unix book comes very close. I'd recommend checking it out!

Keep this post active!

theA

[Edited by Neo on 11-29-2000 at 08:32 PM]
removed html tags for readability --oombera

Last edited by oombera; 02-19-2004 at 04:03 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Books for Unix Scripting

Hi, I'm in a second year unix course at school, and we are really starting to get into the scripting aspect of it. I already own the "Unix in a Nutshell - O'Reilly", and the "Unix - Peachpit Press" books but these book really don't go into too much detail about scripting. So I was wondering if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astudent
3 Replies

2. New to Unix. Which books should I read?

Unix Books

I'm just looking for really good unix book on programming in all shells, and system adminstrator books, and well as just all around really good books on unix. I know the "Unix Shell Programming" book that Neo recommends I recently purchased that it is very good. But when I heard that Neo has... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astudent
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix admnistration books

where can i find unix admnistration books to be downloaded i an using SCO openserver 5.0.4 also where can i download freely unix programmimg tutorials (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsrawat
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Books on Unix

Hai All Iam looking for books in unix on shell scripting which has more stuff on how to run Oracle procedures or functions and the best methods to follow passing unix variables as parameters to Oracle. Thanks in advance Krishna (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnasai
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Good books for UNIX

Hello, I have just started working on UNIX and from the role i am playing, i am getting the hint that i will have to go to the extreme level. Can anybody suggest me some good UNIX books which start from the basics and goes to the top level including architecture and all. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Books on Unix

hi forum, i would like to learn Unix by myself and want to have some good knowlege ..is that possible ?which book can i follow?can anyone send me some book links ... Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vyra
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Books

Am new to this unix concept..i want to learn unix ..could anyone give link or free e-book to study and understand Unix fundamentals.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vyra
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix books from O'Relly

If there is anybody who doesn't know this old but useful books, I recommend it: url deleted (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Books for Beginner

Hi, I am a beginner and I want to learn Unix, so I want to buy a good unix books. Here's a few books that I think can be useful, but I nned you suggestion and comments. 1. Beginning UNIX by Wrox 2. Mastering Unix by Katherine Wrightson, Joseph Merlino, .. 3. Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wizzkid
1 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

UNIX reference books

Hi , Can any one send me the best unix book to start. Actually i know the very basic but i need to learn in depth. Please send me the pdf or link.It would be very helpful if you send ASAP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
2 Replies
Data::Phrasebook::SQL(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Data::Phrasebook::SQL(3pm)

NAME
Data::Phrasebook::SQL - The SQL/DBI Phrasebook Model. SYNOPSIS
use Data::Phrasebook; use DBI; my $dbh = DBI->connect(...); my $book = Data::Phrasebook->new( class => 'SQL', dbh => $dbh, file => 'queries.txt', ); my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', { author => "Lance Parkin" }); while ( my $row = $q->fetchrow_hashref ) { print "He wrote $row->{title} "; } $q->finish; queries.txt: find_author=select title,author from books where author = :author DESCRIPTION
In order to make use of features like placeholders in DBI in conjunction with phrasebooks, it's helpful to have a phrasebook be somewhat more aware of how DBI operates. Thus, you get "Data::Phrasebook::SQL". "Data::Phrasebook::SQL" has knowledge of how DBI works and creates and executes your queries appropriately. CONSTRUCTOR
new Not to be accessed directly, but via the parent Data::Phrasebook, by specifying the class as SQL. Additional arguments to those described in Data::Phrasebook::Generic are: o "dbh" - a DBI database handle. METHODS
dbh Set, or get, the current DBI handle. query Constructs a Data::Phrasebook::SQL::Query object from a template. Takes at least one argument, this being the identifier for the query. The identifier is used as a key into the phrasebook "file". A second argument can be provided, which is an optional hashref of key to value mappings. If phrasebook has a YAML source looking much like the following: --- find_author: sql: select class,title,author from books where author = :author You could write: my $q = $book->query( 'find_author' ); OR my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', { author => 'Lance Parkin' } ); OR my $author = 'Lance Parkin'; my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', { author => $author, } ); # sql = select class,title,author from books where author = ? # args = 'Lance Parkin' In the above examples, the parameters are bound to the SQL using the bind parameters functionality. This is more efficient in most cases where the same SQL is reused with different values for fields. However, not all SQL statements just need to bind parameters, some may require the ability to replace parameters, such as a field list. --- find_author: sql: select :fields from books where author = :author my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', replace => { fields => 'class,title,author' }, bind => { author => 'Lance Parkin' } ); # sql = select class,title,author from books where author = ? # args = 'Lance Parkin' In all instances, if the SQL template requested does not exist or has no definition, then an error will be thrown. Consult Data::Phrasebook::SQL::Query for what you can then do with your returned object. For reference: the bind hashref argument, if it is given, is given to the query object's "order_args" and then "args" methods. SEE ALSO
Data::Phrasebook, Data::Phrasebook::Generic, Data::Phrasebook::SQL::Query. SUPPORT
Please see the README file. AUTHOR
Original author: Iain Campbell Truskett (16.07.1979 - 29.12.2003) Maintainer: Barbie <barbie@cpan.org> since January 2004. for Miss Barbell Productions <http://www.missbarbell.co.uk>. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2003 Iain Truskett. Copyright (C) 2004-2010 Barbie for Miss Barbell Productions. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the Artistic Licence v2. perl v5.10.1 2010-08-31 Data::Phrasebook::SQL(3pm)