Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: umount help
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users umount help Post 43540 by kduffin on Tuesday 18th of November 2003 11:03:43 PM
Old 11-19-2003
andrec,

You seem somewhat unsure of what to do with vfstab. If you do make changes, I'd suggest making a backup copy in the event that you make a syntax error in the file (cp /etc/vfstab /etc/vfstab.`date +%Y%m%d` .

Cheers,

Keith

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umount

:confused: Twofold question for you unix "guru's" 1) When attempting to use the umount command I get a message stating that the partition that I want to unmount is busy. Is there another command that I need to use prior to the umount command to clear the partition of activity????? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rod23
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umount error

the program as follow: mount /dev/fd0135ds18 /mnt cd /mnt touch file1 cat /file2 >/mnt/file1 umount /dev/fd135ds18 when error tell device busy could you tell me the reason? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fresh
1 Replies

3. Solaris

umount is failing

I am trying to umount a NFS share. When I do the following: # umount syrupg21 umount: /oebs/syrupg21: device is busy device bussy so I like to check what is working on the system.... # fuser -muv /oebs/syrupg21/ # So no locks should be there... any clue? Regards, Johan... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suntac
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to umount CDRom

Hi, I am writing a multi-cd spanning installer for a particular software in Linux (Redhat 4 or greater / Suse ) My Program is in Java. A Shell Script is used to fork the java process. I found out that when the Installer tries to go to the next disc when prompted so, by the installer, the eject... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiju.jacob
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to force umount

sorry, wrong section, mod please close thread (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertngo
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Is it really impossible to force umount on HP-UX

Hello, yeah... here my question : Exist some way to force umount on HP other than reboot? Thanks gb (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
12 Replies

7. Linux

Is umount -l dangerous?

I had a umount busy issue, that the usual fuser -mk did not solve, I did a umount -l and was able to unmount the device, I then got in trouble by the storage team staff: Here was a snippet of their response: Using "umount -l" is a potentially dangerous act. The command combination for a lazy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pastajet
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accidentally umount -a

Hi all, I accidentally unmounted filesystems using umount -a command. How to recover from this. Please help. Thanks in advance! when i try to use mount -a i got the following output. # mount -a mount: /dev/vg00/lvol05 already mounted or /opt busy mount: /dev/vg00/lvol07 already... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Umount CIFS

hi guys I have to umount a CIFS from a Windows machine...but it's been imposible there is one special task /sbin/umount.cifs /mondobackup that task cannot be kill...so I cannot umount the unit any idea how to kill this and umount this CIFS share? by the way I've tried umount... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
5 Replies

10. Linux

Umount is not reflecting in losetup.

Hi, initially i will mount a image using loop device using below command mount -n -o loop,noatime,ro -t squashfs /mnt/fsh/bt.img /opt/app/test then "mount" reflects with below /dev/loop0 on /opt/app/test type squashfs (ro,noatime) i will then umount using below commnd, umount is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
0 Replies
getvfsent(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					     getvfsent(3C)

NAME
getvfsent, getvfsfile, getvfsspec, getvfsany - get vfstab file entry SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> #include <sys/vfstab.h> int getvfsent(FILE *fp, struct vfstab *vp); int getvfsfile(FILE *fp, struct vfstab *vp, char *file); int getvfsspec(FILE *, struct vfstab *vp, char *spec); int getvfsany(FILE *, struct vfstab *vp, struct vfstab *vref); DESCRIPTION
The getvfsent(), getvfsfile(), getvfsspec(), and getvfsany() functions each fill in the structure pointed to by vp with the broken-out fields of a line in the /etc/vfstab file. Each line in the file contains a vfstab structure, declared in the <sys/vfstab.h> header, whose following members are described on the vfstab(4) manual page: char *vfs_special; char *vfs_fsckdev; char *vfs_mountp; char *vfs_fstype; char *vfs_fsckpass; char *vfs_automnt; char *vfs_mntopts; The getvfsent() function returns a pointer to the next vfstab structure in the file; so successive calls can be used to search the entire file. The getvfsfile() function searches the file referenced by fp until a mount point matching file is found and fills vp with the fields from the line in the file. The getvfsspec() function searches the file referenced by fp until a special device matching spec is found and fills vp with the fields from the line in the file. The spec argument will try to match on device type (block or character special) and major and minor device num- bers. If it cannot match in this manner, then it compares the strings. The getvfsany() function searches the file referenced by fp until a match is found between a line in the file and vref. A match occurrs if all non-null entries in vref match the corresponding fields in the file. Note that these functions do not open, close, or rewind the file. RETURN VALUES
If the next entry is successfully read by getvfsent() or a match is found with getvfsfile(), getvfsspec(), or getvfsany(), 0 is returned. If an end-of-file is encountered on reading, these functions return -1. If an error is encountered, a value greater than 0 is returned. The possible error values are: VFS_TOOLONG A line in the file exceeded the internal buffer size of VFS_LINE_MAX. VFS_TOOMANY A line in the file contains too many fields. VFS_TOOFEW A line in the file contains too few fields. FILES
/etc/vfstab ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
vfstab(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The members of the vfstab structure point to information contained in a static area, so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.11 12 Mar 1997 getvfsent(3C)