Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: E-mail forwarding
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers E-mail forwarding Post 429 by BigBro on Sunday 3rd of December 2000 08:44:27 PM
Old 12-03-2000
Hi,

I would like to set up an E-mail forwarding service like Netaddress whereby users would be able to create an E-mail account in my domain name and have all the mail sent to that account forwarded to an alternate address they specify.

I know that I can redirect mail sent to my domain using a .forward file but it seems that ALL E-mail accounts under my domain are affected. Is there a way to configure this file to specify different addresses for each user ?

Would it involve the use of specific software ? My web site is currently hosted and is running Linux with Apache server. Maybe there are there Apache-specific features to achieve that ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forwarding Mail from Unix account

I have a simple question. i have an e-mail account with an ISP on a Solaris box. I want to forward all the mail that comes to "only" me to another POP3 account. I used to have the commands written down on how to forward all but I have lost them. Is there a way to forward only e-mails that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsillers
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail - forwarding mail

quick question. I have a webserver that has various scripts for user registration and ect on it. I want to post (mail) these to myself - however I am a bit stuck on how to configure sendmail to do this. The hosting partner that I use has provided me with the use of their relay to send on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: warrend
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forwarding mail with sendmail

Hello, I need to forward mail wich are in some users mailbox. The .forward redirection is working for all new mails but not for old. Is someone know how to do this ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annececile
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.forward and alias mail forwarding questions

I am trying to configure sendmail to forward email to a PHP script. I don't know UNIX and am having trouble figuring out how to forward the mail. I think this is just a bunch of basic questions, but I have had little luck getting help elsewhere on my specific questions and it's driving me nuts. You... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitt3n
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

Mail forwarding in small network with mailserver

Hi, My small network consists of a mail server(postfix) and 2 clients. I want to configure the clients so that all the mail they send is sent through the mailserver. I want to forward all outgoing mail to the mail server. How should I configure the clients to achieve this? Thanks for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hjallebk
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix mail forwarding

Hi Everyone, I am an intermediate to Unix.I want to forward the incoming messages for my Unix Account 'pdileep' to another mail account 'pdileep@ncmail.com'. I tried out .forward option,but the forwarded message was not there in my Unix Account. My requirement is like,i want to forward... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
6 Replies

7. Solaris

mail forwarding

Hello everybody, I have solaris 10 running on SF v890, I need to forward some sepecific root mails resulted from some application, (or all root mails) to other machine running Solaris 10 also. does it have anything to do with mail relay, or just change the log settings??? Thanks in Advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aladdin
1 Replies

8. AIX

Forwarding already received mail?

Greetings to all of you. I am a tad desperate here. I have found MANY articles scattered across the internet from google searches and unix.com searches for how to forward mail that say: Create a ~/.forward file and put XXXX in it. This is not what I need to do. We have bunch of users... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DennisC31
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forwarding Mail in AIX 5.3

Hello everyone, I am trying to create a forwarding scenario, and I do not seem to get it right! I created a .forward file in the directory where my personal mailbox resides. In the file is the full address to deliver email to ... yet the emails do not seem to get forwarded. Is there something... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forwarding mail via Pine

I am asking about my work account, running Linux on a system server. On pine, I set up a forward to another email account. I also keep a copy in the original account. The forward has been running fine for some time. I believe the system sends the mail first to the forwarded account and then puts... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BLabel
0 Replies
TESTMXLOOKUP(1) 					      Double Precision, Inc.						   TESTMXLOOKUP(1)

NAME
testmxlookup - Look up mail relays for a domain SYNOPSIS
testmxlookup [@ip-address] [--dnssec] [--udpsize n] {domain} DESCRIPTION
testmxlookup lists the names and IP addresses of mail relays that receive mail for the domain. This is useful in diagnosing mail delivery problems. testmxlookup sends a DNS MX query for the specified domain, followed by A/AAAA queries, if needed. testmxlookup lists the hostname and the IP address of every mail relay, and its MX priority. DIAGNOSTICS The error message "Hard error" indicates that the domain does not exist, or does not have any mail relays. The error message "Soft error" indicates a temporary error condition (usually a network failure of some sorts, or the local DNS server is down). OPTIONS @ip-address Specify the DNS server's IP address, where to send the DNS query to, overriding the default DNS server addresses read from /etc/resolv.conf. "ip-address" must be a literal, numeric, IP address. --dnssec Enable the DNSSEC extension. If the DNS server has DNSSEC enabled, and the specified domain's DNS records are signed, the list of IP addresses is suffixed by "(DNSSEC)", indicating a signed response. This is a diagnostic option. Older DNS servers may respond with an error, to a DNSSEC query. --udpsize n Specify that n is the largest UDP packet size that the DNS server may send. This option is only valid together with "--dnssec". If "--dnssec" always returns an error, try "--udpsize 512" (the default setting is 1280 bytes, which is adequate for Ethernet, but other kinds of networks may impose lower limits). SEE ALSO
courier(8)[1], RFC 1035[2]. AUTHOR
Sam Varshavchik Author NOTES
1. courier(8) [set $man.base.url.for.relative.links]/courier.html 2. RFC 1035 http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1035.txt Courier Mail Server 11/18/2011 TESTMXLOOKUP(1)