Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to Find the OS version Installed Post 42777 by pankschawla on Tuesday 4th of November 2003 05:25:51 AM
Old 11-04-2003
yes bcoz uname -a is not useful as it does not give the OS version in terms of July 20XX or March 20XX.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Which version of perl is installed on my system?

Hi, With the command perl -v i can see the perl version, but it's like a text file.. is there a command which could give me just the perl version number? i.e.: "5.8.1" thanks!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfad
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Setting link to newly installed Java version

Hi, I have Solaris 8 wih Java 1.2.2 as default. I just upgraded it to Java 2 version 1.4. But when I do "java -version: I get following: "Java version "1.2.2" Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_05a, native threads, sunjwit) How would I make solaris to look at my new java? If I have to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harjitsingh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

newer version of the parser installed,yet get the older one itlself,hows it possible?

Hi all, I downloaded a XML parser lib from blastwave.org... Its the "libxml2",but i am having trouble initializing it(or so it feels)...I kind of need it badly as the OSE version of the virtualbox 1.6.2 will not install unless i have one The version was 2.6.3... The min requirement from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

How to verify the current NIC driver version installed in RHEL5.3??

Guys, Can you help me how to verify the current installed NIC driver version in RHEL5.3? Thanks.:D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shtobias
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

installed java version ?

Hi, I want to know what version of the java is installed? Please let me know the command or process to identify the installed java version in sun solaris box. Thanks in advance for all your support. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Portable Shell Script - Determine Which Version of Binary is Installed?

I currently have a shell script that utilizes the "Date" binary - this application is slightly different on OS X (BSD General Commmand) and Linux systems (gnu date). In particular, the version on OS X requires the following to get a date 14 days in the future "date -v+14d -u +%Y-%m-%d" where gnu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colinjohnson
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Check that supersede of package version is installed

I need a programmatic way to check, that supersede of required package is installed. At Linux I do it using rpmvercm utility to compare installed package version to my minimal requirement. So - I need analog of Linux "rpmvercm" utility for Solaris (10/11) Let us say - I know that minimal version... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuismanm
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash find version of an installed application but if none is found set variable to App Not Installed

Hello Forum, I'm issuing a one line bash command to look for the version of an installed application and saving the result to a variable like so: APP=application --version But if the application is not installed I want to return to my variable that the Application is not installed. So I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
2 Replies
uname(2)							   System Calls 							  uname(2)

NAME
uname - get name of current operating system SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/utsname.h> int uname(struct utsname *name); DESCRIPTION
The uname() function stores information identifying the current operating system in the structure pointed to by name. The uname() function uses the utsname structure, defined in <sys/utsname.h>, whose members include: char sysname[SYS_NMLN]; char nodename[SYS_NMLN]; char release[SYS_NMLN]; char version[SYS_NMLN]; char machine[SYS_NMLN]; The uname() function returns a null-terminated character string naming the current operating system in the character array sysname. Simi- larly, the nodename member contains the name by which the system is known on a communications network. The release and version members further identify the operating system. The machine member contains a standard name that identifies the hardware on which the operating sys- tem is running. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a non-negative value is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The uname() function will fail if: EFAULT The name argument points to an illegal address. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
uname(1), sysinfo(2), sysconf(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 21 Jul 1999 uname(2)