Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to mount fat16 partition
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to mount fat16 partition Post 4266 by Andy Hibbins on Monday 23rd of July 2001 08:03:32 AM
Old 07-23-2001
Hi,

Have you tried adding the following to your /etc/fstab file:
Code:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/msdos msdos  auto

I think the msdos file type should work okay for fat16 filesystems.

For fat32 filesystems you'll need to add vfat for the fs type.

i.e. a partition named /dev/.hda8 add the following to fstab:
Code:
/dev/hda8 /mnt/fat32 vfat  auto

Of course you'll need to ensure that the mount directories have been created before mounting the directories.

To mount the fat16 partition you'd type:
Code:
mount /mnt/msdos

or
Code:
mount /dev/hda1

I hope this helps.

Andy Smilie

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 10-21-2010 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

can't mount a partition

Hello, I have a problem on my sun station, that run solaris7. To free temporarly a little space on /, I moved a few empty folders (mnt, net, awk, tftpboot) to the /home partition. Unfortunately the system froze just after this...maybe I should not have move this files, I don't know, I am a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nabulus
3 Replies

2. Solaris

how to mount other partition?

dear all, that is my problem : c0d0p1 is nt, c0d0p2 is solaris and other on extended partition is pcfs, so how can i mount it somewhere? because i dont know which one connect from raw to block dev. /dev/rdsk/c0d0p? any help would be great... :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stdout
6 Replies

3. SCO

/ partition is mounted but not present in mount

Hello , I 've got a problem with the root partition on my SCO 5.0.5 . When I check the disk with df or mount , I can 't see the root filesystem . # mount /stand on /dev/boot read only on Tue Sep 05 16:13:51 2006 /home on /dev/home read/write on Tue Sep 05 16:14:41 2006 But , if I try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npn35
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

5. Solaris

can not mount the selected partition

Dear Brothers First i installed suse linux with the following partition. my hd0 size is 75gb hdc1 swap 1 gb hdc2 native linux 39gb For the rest of the 35 gb i did not create any partition. so i planned to install solaris 10x86 on that free space. When i installed the solaris i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sayed_021
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Grub Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition.

I dualboot Ubuntu and Fedora in one hard drive. Below are the scenario. First, installed Ubuntu 10.4 on the entire disk (40GiB of size). Then, shrink the Ubuntu installation to equal size to free up space for fedora. Second, installed Fedora 13 using the option "Use free space on selected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mount extended partition

Hello, Im new here, and may be my question is stupid, but... Today I run PGP Desktop decript on my 2nd partition ( D:\ ) and when decript finish, I restart my PC.Now when I try to open D:\ its give me: D:\ is not accessable and I lose my files :( So I load Linux live CD ( knoppix ) and try to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrowcp
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount UEFI partition

I want to gain read/write access to a Windows 8 partition from a linux live cd. Prior to Windows 8, I used ntfs-3g to mount the partition from the command line. The "Fdisk -l" command does not seem to be able to read efi partitions. There must be some new strategy for linux users. This is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamarsh
6 Replies

9. AIX

Can't mount a partition

Hello, today i get some aix errors (can't lock files and strange things) then i umount FS to do a fsck but i get these errors root@omega / > fsck -p /dev/fslv06 The current volume is: /dev/fslv06 Unable to read primary superblock. Unable to read either superblock. I readed on this page... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: thorin666
9 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Can I mount partition at given dir path

Hi, In Linux, I had modified fstab file which used to mount ~/Music, ~/Pictures, etc with disk partitions containing corresponding content or binding directory located at other partition. But I am wondering can I do same in El-Capitan as well? No linking! /media/L-Store/Desktop/Documents ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
0 Replies
FSTAB(5)							   File Formats 							  FSTAB(5)

NAME
fstab - static information about the filesystems SYNOPSIS
/etc/fstab DESCRIPTION
The file fstab contains descriptive information about the various file systems. fstab is only read by programs, and not written; it is the duty of the system administrator to properly create and maintain this file. Each filesystem is described on a separate line; fields on each line are separated by tabs or spaces. Lines starting with '#' are comments, blank lines are ignored. The order of records in fstab is important because fsck(8), mount(8), and umount(8) sequentially iterate through fstab doing their thing. The first field (fs_spec). This field describes the block special device or remote filesystem to be mounted. For ordinary mounts it will hold (a link to) a block special device node (as created by mknod(8)) for the device to be mounted, like `/dev/cdrom' or `/dev/sdb7'. For NFS mounts one will have <host>:<dir>, e.g., `knuth.aeb.nl:/'. For procfs, use `proc'. Instead of giving the device explicitly, one may indicate the (ext2 or xfs) filesystem that is to be mounted by its UUID or volume label (cf. e2label(8) or xfs_admin(8)), writing LABEL=<label> or UUID=<uuid>, e.g., `LABEL=Boot' or `UUID=3e6be9de-8139-11d1-9106- -a43f08d823a6'. This will make the system more robust: adding or removing a SCSI disk changes the disk device name but not the filesystem volume label. Note that mount(8) uses UUIDs as strings. The string representation of the UUID should be based on lower case characters. The second field (fs_file). This field describes the mount point for the filesystem. For swap partitions, this field should be specified as `none'. If the name of the mount point contains spaces these can be escaped as `40'. The third field (fs_vfstype). This field describes the type of the filesystem. Linux supports lots of filesystem types, such as adfs, affs, autofs, coda, coher- ent, cramfs, devpts, efs, ext2, ext3, hfs, hpfs, iso9660, jfs, minix, msdos, ncpfs, nfs, ntfs, proc, qnx4, reiserfs, romfs, smbfs, sysv, tmpfs, udf, ufs, umsdos, vfat, xenix, xfs, and possibly others. For more details, see mount(8). For the filesystems currently supported by the running kernel, see /proc/filesystems. An entry swap denotes a file or partition to be used for swapping, cf. swapon(8). An entry ignore causes the line to be ignored. This is useful to show disk partitions which are currently unused. An entry none is useful for bind or move mounts. mount(8) and umount(8) support filesystem subtypes. The subtype is defined by '.subtype' suffix. For example 'fuse.sshfs'. It's recommended to use subtype notation rather than add any prefix to the first fstab field (for example 'sshfs#example.com' is deprea- cated). The fourth field (fs_mntops). This field describes the mount options associated with the filesystem. It is formatted as a comma separated list of options. It contains at least the type of mount plus any additional options appropri- ate to the filesystem type. For documentation on the available mount options, see mount(8). For documentation on the available swap options, see swapon(8). Basic file system independent options are: defaults use default options: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async. noauto do not mount when "mount -a" is given (e.g., at boot time) user allow a user to mount owner allow device owner to mount comment for use by fstab-maintaining programs nofail do not report errors for this device if it does not exist. The fifth field (fs_freq). This field is used for these filesystems by the dump(8) command to determine which filesystems need to be dumped. If the fifth field is not present, a value of zero is returned and dump will assume that the filesystem does not need to be dumped. The sixth field (fs_passno). This field is used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time. The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2. Filesystems within a drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will be checked at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware. If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked. The proper way to read records from fstab is to use the routines getmntent(3) or libmount. FILES
/etc/fstab, <fstab.h> SEE ALSO
mount(8), swapon(8), fs(5), nfs(5), xfs(5), proc(5), getmntent(3) HISTORY
The ancestor of this fstab file format appeared in 4.0BSD. AVAILABILITY
This man page is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2010 FSTAB(5)