Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to calculate file's size in directory and subdirectory Post 41868 by davidg on Thursday 16th of October 2003 07:02:47 AM
Old 10-16-2003
Hi,

I know that it is a very long time since, but I found this thread and I think it might interest you.

Regs David

dirinfo.pl
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/opt/perl/bin/perl

use File::Find;

# Determine wether argument is given or not
# -----------------------------------------
if (@ARGV) {
@dirm = @ARGV;
foreach $dirm(@dirm) {
if ($dirm eq "\." ) {
$dirm = `pwd`;
$dirm =~ s/\n//g;
}
$dirm =~ s/\/$//g;
push(@directory, $dirm);
}
}
else {
usage();
}

# Define global vars and hashes
%seen = ();
$total = ();
$nr = 0;
$mbnr = 0;

# Searching starting at your given directory
foreach $directory (@directory) {
finddepth(\&wanted, $directory);
}

# If this is dir is unique, start getting total disk usage inclusive sub-dirs
sub wanted {
$dir = "$File::Find::dir";

unless ($seen{$dir}++) {
next if ( $dir =~ lost+found );
next if ( $dir eq $directory );
$dm=`du -ks $dir 2>/dev/null`;
($kb, $path) = split /\s+/, $dm ;
$mb = int( $kb / 1024 );

$output{$path} = $mb;

}
}

# Determine most characters of path and store it in $nr
@long = keys %output;
foreach $item(@long) {
if ( $nr < length($item)) {
$nr = length($item);
}
}

# Determine most characters of size and store it in $mbnr
@long = values %output;
foreach $item(@long) {
if ( $mbnr < length($item)) {
$mbnr = length($item);
}
}

# Add a space as long as the the current path is smaller then the longest one.
print "\n\n\n";
while (($key, $value) = each %output) {
$numb = ( $nr - length($key) );
$mbnumb = ( $mbnr - length($value) );
$dd = " Directory $key has";
while ( $numb > 0 ) {
$dd = $dd . " ";
$numb--;
}
while ( $mbnumb > 0 ) {
$dd = $dd . " ";
$mbnumb--;
}
push(@newarray, "$dd $value Mb\n");
}

# Print total directory size
foreach $line(sort(@newarray)) {
print $line;
}

print "\n\n";

foreach $directory(@directory) {
$total=`du -ks $directory 2>/dev/null`;
($total_size, $useless) = split /\s+/, $total;
$total_size_mb = int( $total_size / 1024 );
print "Total usage of $directory is $total_size_mb Mb\n";
}
print "\n\n";

sub usage() {
print "\ndirinfo.pl: Error incorrect usage \n\n";
print "Usage: /usr/local/bin/dirinfo.pl <directory> \n";
print "\t <directory> Is directory start point to check \n\n\n";
exit 1;
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to calculate the file size?

HI, Can somebody please tell me how many bytes make a KB & MB. ThANKS. Rooh.:( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

calculate directory size by year of file

I need to calcualte the size of a directory by the year the files in that directory were created . For example the script will sum up, by year, the number of blocks for that directory and its' subdirectories for files created / accessed in that year. I need a report that would look like... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create Year directory, date subdirectory and archive the file

Hi, After checking all the UNIX threads, I am able to come up with a solution so far. I am working on a shell script where it moves the files to a certain directory. The conditions to check are 1) Check if the file exists in the current directory. 2) Check if the destination directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum of file size in directory / subdirectory

Hi , I am trying to write something to find the size of particular type of files in a directory & it's subdirectory and sum the size .. These types of file are found at directory level or its subdirectories level .. #!/bin/ksh FNAME='.pdf' S_PATH=/abc/def/xyz find $S_PATH -exec ls -lad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for file and size subdirectory as well

Hi I made this code to search in directory for file and size How can I remodel it to seach in the sub direcotry as well Thanks #!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter: " read var if then echo "Directory exists: ${var}" size=`du -hs "${var}"` echo The size of the current folder is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i find a word inside a file from a directory and it's subdirectory ?

Suppose i have a word "mail". I have to search this word in all files inside a directory and it's sub-directories. It will also search in all hidden directory and sub-directories. If it finds this word in any file it will list that file. How can i do this with perl/ruby/awk/sed/bash or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files not in a directory into a subdirectory named for each given file

Hi Everyone! Looking for some help with a script that will take all files in any given root folder (which are not already in a folder) and put them into separate folders with the name of each given file. Any ideas? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DanTheMan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a particular directory in multiple file systems and calculate total size

Hello : I need some help in writing a ksh script which will find a particular directory in all the file systems in a server and finally report the total size of the direcotry in all the file systems. Some thing like this.. find /u*/app/oracle -type d -name "product" -prune and then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sam1974
1 Replies

9. Programming

[c] How to calculate size of the file from size of the buffer?

Hi, Can I find size of the file from size of the buffer written? nbECRITS = fwrite(strstr(data->buffer, ";") + 1, sizeof(char), (data->buffsize) - LEN_NOM_FIC, fic_sortie); Thank You :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezee
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching File in Directory and all Subdirectory and Delete

Hi All, My directory structure is like Directory1 SubDirectory1 SubDirectory2 SubDirectory3 I have main directories and subdirectories underneath. I want to write a shell script where I will be passing file name as a parameter, Now I want to find all the files in Directory1... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: John William
19 Replies
gvfs-monitor-dir(1)						   User Commands					       gvfs-monitor-dir(1)

NAME
gvfs-monitor-dir - monitor the change of a directory content using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gvfs-monitor-dir URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-monitor-dir monitors the change content of a directory using the VFS system. If anything changes inside the directory, gvfs-monitor- dir will print a message informing of the event. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the directory location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Monitor a local directory example% gvfs-monitor-dir file:///tmp/example ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-monitor-dir Executable to monitor the change content of a directory using the VFS system. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-cat(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-move(1), gvfs- rename(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-monitor-dir(1)