Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Processes, Services, Daemon's and Subsystems Post 41865 by davidg on Thursday 16th of October 2003 05:48:30 AM
Old 10-16-2003
You forget one "port-number" Smilie

A service, is a service a server can offer.

F.e. ftp

ftp is a service taken in /etc/services,
it has a specific port onwhere it should communicate with.
Therefor a daemon (inetd) is started that keeps track of any incomming or outgoung requests on that port.
This daemon runs as a process as it's claiming memory/cpu-time/IO-resources.

Subsystem is quiet unknown with me, Maybe you mean the child of a Parent process. Sometimes a process can fork and create a child to have a job done for him. We call this the parents child.
f.e. :
running a shell gives you a process (ps -ef | grep sh | grep -v grep). Now performing an "bdf ." will fork your shell into a process that will find out the diskusage for your current directory. when it is finished the child automaticly dies (stops) and goes back to it's parent.

Well, enough fast-course Unix Smilie
Anymore questions, just let us know.

Regs David

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Daemon, scripts and processes

Hi, I am new to the world of Unix, I need some help in doing a small project at work. Can anyone point out any good references for the below functions? Objective --------- To write a daemon that will run in the central server to 1) access our process(I will find this out), log down... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seongyin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

3. AIX

subsystems are all inoperative

Hi, As part of our maintenance schedule, we reboot our systems every few months to test HACMP and etc... etc.... It looked like everything was normal but when we tried to bring up HACMP, we didn't see anything in the /etc/hacmp.out and we didn't see any processes associated with HACMP running.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xender69
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

enabling core dumps for daemon processes

Hello, I am debugging a program which works as daemon. It sigfaults, unfortunately I'm unable to generate core dump file. Here is what I am doing: tsurko@bastila:~$ ulimit -c unlimited tsurko@bastila:~$ ulimit -c unlimited tsurko@bastila:~$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf | grep 'core_pattern'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tsurko
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Restart of services if port no is changed in /etc/services in RHEL

I had a doubt if any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services in an RHEL setup is changed. For eg, the port no of 443 for SSL may need to be changed. I hope my query is clear whether any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services is changed. Please revert with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
10 Replies

8. Solaris

How to configure start up services/processes in Solaris 10?

I normally use "chkconfig" to configure start up services in a particular run level..... But i don't know how to do it in solaris 10.... please help me !!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start services based on dependent services on other AIX machine

Hi, I just started working on a script. After my research, i found a command which can help me: AIM: To build a script which starts the services (Services 1) on server 1 automatically whenever its down. And it has a dependency on other service (Service 2) on Server 2. So my script has to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draghun9
4 Replies

10. Linux

How to display all daemon processes in priority order?

Hi, Is there any way to run chkconfig --list and to display all daemon processes in PRIORITY order, not in alphabetic order? Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
4 Replies
PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)

NAME
pthread_atfork - register handlers to be called at fork(2) time SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_atfork(void (*prepare)(void), void (*parent)(void), void (*child)(void)); DESCRIPTION
pthread_atfork registers handler functions to be called just before and just after a new process is created with fork(2). The prepare han- dler will be called from the parent process, just before the new process is created. The parent handler will be called from the parent process, just before fork(2) returns. The child handler will be called from the child process, just before fork(2) returns. One or several of the three handlers prepare, parent and child can be given as NULL, meaning that no handler needs to be called at the cor- responding point. pthread_atfork can be called several times to install several sets of handlers. At fork(2) time, the prepare handlers are called in LIFO order (last added with pthread_atfork, first called before fork), while the parent and child handlers are called in FIFO order (first added, first called). To understand the purpose of pthread_atfork, recall that fork(2) duplicates the whole memory space, including mutexes in their current locking state, but only the calling thread: other threads are not running in the child process. The mutexes are not usable after the fork and must be initialized with pthread_mutex_init in the child process. This is a limitation of the current implementation and might or might not be present in future versions. RETURN VALUE
pthread_atfork returns 0 on success and a non-zero error code on error. ERRORS
ENOMEM insufficient memory available to register the handlers. AUTHOR
Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> SEE ALSO
fork(2), pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3). LinuxThreads PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)