Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: linux + bsd + solaris
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers linux + bsd + solaris Post 4179 by SeVEn on Friday 20th of July 2001 02:20:26 AM
Old 07-20-2001
Bug

Look jcheng.... I have 3 OS in my computer, Debian Linux, FreeBSD and OpeBSD, I have no troubles to install then. I have installed 8 OS in one computer ones, but was 8 linux distros in 2 HDs, and I have no trobles again.

What I can tell you is that the linux distros can use the same swap partition. I use the same swap when I installed the 8 distros.

The "/" partition is sufficient, there is no necessary create the "/usr" or anyone else.

The lilo loader works fine with all the OS tah you mentioned. Try to find some infos about the problems with partitions over 1024 cylinder in HD, I already saw peoples get trouble with this, may be your problem to.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris , *BSD

Are Solaris's commands the same with *BSD's commands ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sasuke
1 Replies

2. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

3. Programming

porting solaris to BSD

Hi i have a C program that i need to port from solaris to BSD The flags i pass on CC in solaris are -lsocket -lnsl I use sockets and threads anyone know flags for BSD (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yngwie
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris is like BSD or Not ?

I'm attached to a Linux system that is giving me options to use BSD formats or Unix formats. For Example ps -ax or ps ax. I need to know which is the Solaris flavor. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidS
6 Replies

5. Programming

C programming on Linux/BSD : which tools to use?

Hello there, i've lurked this forum for a while (in few month i will have been registered for two years) but this is my firts post. Well, after having looked to C language as a black monster, i finally have decided to learn it, and to learn it very well! So, i'm quite new to C, although i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Freddie
1 Replies

6. BSD

Jumping from Solaris to BSD?

Hi all, I currently run an OpenSolaris (b134) server at home for share media between a few computers (all Macs at the moment). I use ZFS to mirror a couple of disks and have a couple of SMF manifests. My background is as a user of OS X and as a user of (Open)Solaris with formal training in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: forquare
7 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Unix/Linux/BSD

I'm planning to learn Unix/Linux as much as possible to be able to expert on Unix system. I have a few questions in regard to Unix system 1. How come they are so many different type of Linux, and do they follow same standard commands in the Unix system? I'm afraid of having so many choices... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mindful123
6 Replies
SWAPLABEL(8)						       System Administration						      SWAPLABEL(8)

NAME
swaplabel - print or change the label or UUID of a swap area SYNOPSIS
swaplabel [-L label] [-U UUID] device DESCRIPTION
swaplabel will display or change the label or UUID of a swap partition located on device (or regular file). If the optional arguments -L and -U are not given, swaplabel will simply display the current swap-area label and UUID of device. If an optional argument is present, then swaplabel will change the appropriate value on device. These values can also be set during swap creation using mkswap(8). The swaplabel utility allows to change the label or UUID on an actively used swap device. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -L, --label label Specify a new label for the device. Swap partition labels can be at most 16 characters long. If label is longer than 16 charac- ters, swaplabel will truncate it and print a warning message. -U, --uuid UUID Specify a new UUID for the device. The UUID must be in the standard 8-4-4-4-12 character format, such as is output by uuidgen(1). AUTHOR
swaplabel was written by Jason Borden <jborden@bluehost.com> and Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>. AVAILABILITY
The swaplabel command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. SEE ALSO
mkswap(8), swapon(8), uuidgen(1) util-linux April 2010 SWAPLABEL(8)