Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Processes, Services, Daemon's and Subsystems Post 41788 by quickfirststep on Tuesday 14th of October 2003 01:49:40 PM
Old 10-14-2003
Question Processes, Services, Daemon's and Subsystems

I'm just wondering what the differences/relationships there are between processes, services, daemons and subsystems?
I keep coming across these terms but I can't find clear definitions/explanations of these terms.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Daemon, scripts and processes

Hi, I am new to the world of Unix, I need some help in doing a small project at work. Can anyone point out any good references for the below functions? Objective --------- To write a daemon that will run in the central server to 1) access our process(I will find this out), log down... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seongyin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

3. AIX

subsystems are all inoperative

Hi, As part of our maintenance schedule, we reboot our systems every few months to test HACMP and etc... etc.... It looked like everything was normal but when we tried to bring up HACMP, we didn't see anything in the /etc/hacmp.out and we didn't see any processes associated with HACMP running.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xender69
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

enabling core dumps for daemon processes

Hello, I am debugging a program which works as daemon. It sigfaults, unfortunately I'm unable to generate core dump file. Here is what I am doing: tsurko@bastila:~$ ulimit -c unlimited tsurko@bastila:~$ ulimit -c unlimited tsurko@bastila:~$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf | grep 'core_pattern'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tsurko
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Restart of services if port no is changed in /etc/services in RHEL

I had a doubt if any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services in an RHEL setup is changed. For eg, the port no of 443 for SSL may need to be changed. I hope my query is clear whether any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services is changed. Please revert with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
10 Replies

8. Solaris

How to configure start up services/processes in Solaris 10?

I normally use "chkconfig" to configure start up services in a particular run level..... But i don't know how to do it in solaris 10.... please help me !!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start services based on dependent services on other AIX machine

Hi, I just started working on a script. After my research, i found a command which can help me: AIM: To build a script which starts the services (Services 1) on server 1 automatically whenever its down. And it has a dependency on other service (Service 2) on Server 2. So my script has to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draghun9
4 Replies

10. Linux

How to display all daemon processes in priority order?

Hi, Is there any way to run chkconfig --list and to display all daemon processes in PRIORITY order, not in alphabetic order? Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
4 Replies
SDL_WasInit(3)							 SDL API Reference						    SDL_WasInit(3)

NAME
SDL_WasInit - Check which subsystems are initialized SYNOPSIS
#include "SDL.h" Uint32 SDL_WasInit(Uint32 flags); DESCRIPTION
SDL_WasInit allows you to see which SDL subsytems have been initialized. flags is a bitwise OR'd combination of the subsystems you wish to check (see SDL_Init for a list of subsystem flags). RETURN VALUE
SDL_WasInit returns a bitwised OR'd combination of the initialized subsystems. EXAMPLES
/* Here are several ways you can use SDL_WasInit() */ /* Get init data on all the subsystems */ Uint32 subsystem_init; subsystem_init=SDL_WasInit(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING); if(subsystem_init&SDL_INIT_VIDEO) printf("Video is initialized. "); else printf("Video is not initialized. "); /* Just check for one specfic subsystem */ if(SDL_WasInit(SDL_INIT_VIDEO)!=0) printf("Video is initialized. "); else printf("Video is not initialized. "); /* Check for two subsystems */ Uint32 subsystem_mask=SDL_INIT_VIDEO|SDL_INIT_AUDIO; if(SDL_WasInit(subsystem_mask)==subsystem_mask) printf("Video and Audio initialized. "); else printf("Video and Audio not initialized. "); SEE ALSO
SDL_Init, SDL_Subsystem SDL
Tue 11 Sep 2001, 23:00 SDL_WasInit(3)